Faith No More to release first album in 18 years this April

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

Re: Faith No More to release first album in 18 years this Ap

Postby Magellan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:59 am

Thanks for the footage of 'Take This Bottle', Gozu.

Agree that the KFAD era is when they didn't give a stuff and had license to do what they wanted, having received enough commercial success and critical claim up to and including 'Angel Dust'. That said, FNM had the knack of being able to make commercially successful songs with a good pop 'hook' notwithstanding that their sound was very noncommercial.

I knew a couple of people who happened to go to that 1990 gig at Le Rox, would've been great to see them at that stage when they were just on the cusp of really hitting the big time.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Gozu » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:29 am

Magellan wrote:Thanks for the footage of 'Take This Bottle', Gozu.

Agree that the KFAD era is when they didn't give a stuff and had license to do what they wanted, having received enough commercial success and critical claim up to and including 'Angel Dust'. That said, FNM had the knack of being able to make commercially successful songs with a good pop 'hook' notwithstanding that their sound was very noncommercial.

I knew a couple of people who happened to go to that 1990 gig at Le Rox, would've been great to see them at that stage when they were just on the cusp of really hitting the big time.

No worries, one thing that makes it hard for me to listen to Angel Dust is I remember Billy saying he played all or at least most of the guitar on that album as Jim Martin hated the music so much he refused to play on it.

That Le Rox show would've been awesome like you said seeing them on the cusp, didn't they do 2-3 Aussie tours to promote TRT?
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:27 am

Gozu wrote:No worries, one thing that makes it hard for me to listen to Angel Dust is I remember Billy saying he played all or at least most of the guitar on that album as Jim Martin hated the music so much he refused to play on it.

Didn't know that. There is some crap guitar playing in a couple of songs (the solo in 'Be Aggressive', for example), whether it's Billy or Jim it's hard to say.

Gozu wrote:That Le Rox show would've been awesome like you said seeing them on the cusp, didn't they do 2-3 Aussie tours to promote TRT?

Not sure, I'm only aware of the 1990 gig (7 August 1990, to be exact :-B). This resource (http://www.fnmlive.com/1990) seems to suggest Le Rox was the only one prior to the 1993 tour.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu May 07, 2020 7:17 pm

A big Faith No More special on Rage this Saturday night:

https://www.abc.net.au/rage/guest/epic- ... l/12212564
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Magellan » Mon May 11, 2020 12:27 pm

Gozu wrote:A big Faith No More special on Rage this Saturday night:

https://www.abc.net.au/rage/guest/epic- ... l/12212564

Shit, I missed this. Some great tunes in that playlist, including this beautifully ****** up song:

I also note they picked Wolfmother's 'Woman,' surely that was chosen for ironic purposes.
Magellan
Coach

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Music