RIP Phil 'Philthy Animal' Taylor.

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

RIP Phil 'Philthy Animal' Taylor.

Postby Magellan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:50 am

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/music/motorhead-drummer-phil-taylor-dead-20151113-gkxvsf.html

Phil 'Philthy Animal' Taylor, the former drummer of Motörhead, has died, the British iconic heavy metal group says.

Taylor, who was 61, was with the hard rock band from 1975 to 1984 - with frontman Ian 'Lemmy' Kilmister and guitarist 'Fast' Eddie Clarke, considered the group's classic line-up - and was back in the band from 1987 to 1992.

He played on the band's legendary 1980 song Ace of Spades.

The cause of death was not immediately clear.

"My dear friend and brother passed away last night," Clarke wrote on Facebook on Thursday.

"He had been ill for sometime but that does not make it any easier when the time finally comes. I have known Phil since he was 21 and he was one hell of a character.

"Fortunately we made some fantastic music together and I have many many fond memories of our time together. Rest in Peace, Phil!"

Motörhead, dubbed the loudest band in the world, also paid tribute to their former drummer on their Facebook page.

It said: "Lil' Philthy ... he who once shouted 'stop wincing about' on an album ... he who fuelled many a young boy's punk/metal hairstyles ... he who played the drums with fury and intent ... he who liked to call people 'wazzocks' once in a while ... friend, Roman, Derbyshireman ... rest in peace ... with much love."

Taylor played on all of the group's major albums, including Overkill, Bomber, Ace of Spades, and live recording No Sleep 'til Hammersmith.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Re: RIP Phil 'Philthy Animal' Taylor.

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:28 am

Was certainly a part of my musical developmental teenage life. \m/
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:42 am

Yep, one of the great bands that spawned 80s thrash metal. Probably more 'punk' in spirit than a lot of punk bands around at the time. :supz:

I think Lemmy once described themselves as the band who 'if we moved next door your lawn would die.'
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:54 am

Very sad news! :( :( He was an amazing musician, a legend.

I'll be cranking some Motorhead this afternoon in his memory
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby MatteeG » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:19 pm

:( :( :(
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Board index   General Talk  Music