The best gig(s) you've seen.

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

Re: The best gig(s) you've seen.

Postby Leaping Lindner » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:22 pm

Magellan wrote:
RustyCage wrote:Verandah was an amazing place, as was Bank Street Records and Adromina (sp?)

I think you mean Andromeda Records, which was (at least when I discovered it) downstairs on Gawler Place (on the left hand side walking away form the Mall). Good little shop too.

Bought a cassette tape bootleg of Metallica's set on the 1991 Monsters of Rock tour, which was their first gig after releasing the Black Album. Dunno where it's gone to, unfortunately.

Andromeda was first at Victoria Square when I discovered it in the late 70's then it moved soon after to Rundle Street. It then went to where Target is now on Pulteney Street before finishing life in Gawler Place.

Third World Bookshop on Hindley Street use to have the best range of bootlegs in Adelaide (for a mere $4 each :shock: ) until they were forced to remove them sometime in 1979.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:54 am

Yes, I remember Andromeda being in the Centrepoint/Target site in around 1984. Buggered if I can remember what else was there though!
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Gozu » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:26 pm

Anyone remember Thrash, Grind & Grunge/Dominator Records? I think one of the Scott brothers from The Mark of Cain co-owned it.

A mate and I use to joke about the 'George Tax' George would put on everything at Verandah :lol: I went to instores at the Rundle Street store for Napalm Death and Strapping Young Lad more for my mate and faintly remember the previous location but only went there a couple of times. I think he went to a Cannibal Corpse instore there.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Gozu wrote:Anyone remember Thrash, Grind & Grunge/Dominator Records? I think one of the Scott brothers from The Mark of Cain co-owned it.

Yep, on Morphett Street, another great underground music/culture spot. I think it might've been in one of those shops that are now the Thali Room or British India restaurants.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Leaping Lindner » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:34 pm

Kelly and Aaron Hewson co-owned it with Harry Butler. Aaron was drummer in the Mark of Cain at the time. Kelly and Aaron also ran the Dominator Record label. They had some great stuff,but it was the grottiest record shop going :lol:
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:40 am

Since this is my thread, I guess I better nail my gig colours to the mast.

1993, Thebby Theatre - Faith No More on the Angel Dust tour. Great material, classic line-up (Jim Martin!!). There's something to be said for bands that have internal disagreements going on, as they did at the time, because it made them play like they were possessed. The material was angry enough, and the band channeled so much energy into their performance.

IIRC someone threw a drumstick back on the stage, which hit Patton. He wasn't too happy and asked the audience who threw it, and if he found out, he stick it up their ar$e. The encore included "Easy" (naturally, a big hit at the time), and a fantastic jazz version of the Dead Kennedys' "Let's Lynch the Landlord". At the very end people on the floor noticed Molly Meldrum sitting up in those balcony seats on the side, and before too long the chant "Molly's a wanker" had erupted throughout the venue. I also recall that when I turned up prior to the warm-up act (Kinghorse, I think, a band who tried to sound a bit like FNM - I really only recall a keyboard on stage) someone had chundered right in the middle of the floor. Good times!

Radiohead at Rod Laver in 2012 was super impressive for a band who's best compositional days a probably behind them. Played great, excellent sound, and the on stage visuals (dancing and rotating video screens) worked well with the material.

I also saw Nirvana in 1992. Not the greatest gig, since Kurt was apparently 'sick'. Good fodder from impressing next generation grunge youngsters, though. ;)

Finally, Them Crooked Vultures (super-group with John Paul Jones, Dave Grohl, and Josh Homme) at Festival Hall in 2010. Like all supergroups, the collective musical outcome isn't as good as their individual talent. It was great to see Grohl pay drums again, you could tell he was living out his Led Zep dream playing alongside JPJ. But best of all, I got to see JPJ, the best bass player in rock - period. I'll never get to see Led Zep live, so that was the closest I'll get.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Grenville » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:37 am

Have seen Chisels a few times but the recent one was a pearler. Barnesy at the Grand and Alberton Oval was good value as well. Two of the better ones I've seen were the Hoodoo Gurus and The Black Sorrows at The Bridgeway. Both were brilliant.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Music