The Oils

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

The Oils

Postby Booney » Thu May 05, 2016 2:27 pm

Midnight Oil have today confirmed they will reform for a series of shows both in Australia and overseas in 2017. This will be the band's first shows since 2009 and their first tour since breaking up in 2002.

"We wanted you to be the first to know that the five of us are planning to do some gigs in Australia and overseas during 2017," the band wrote on their Facebook page. "It will probably be at least the end of this year before we know exactly where or when."

For many Midnight Oil fans, it's been a matter of when, not if, the band would ever reform. With frontman Peter Garrett's political career over and autobiography Big Blue Sky published, and the rest of the band still playing in other projects - notably surf rock band The Break - it seemed certain this news would one day come.

That doesn't make it any less special. The band are true icons of Australian rock'n'roll and their live shows are still spoken of in hushed tones in pubs all around the country.

Across 11 albums over 25 years, the band mixed edgy, urgent, anthemic rock music with deeply political and socially conscious lyrics. At their peak they were among Australia's biggest bands and were able to match their success at home with a very solid overseas following.

Last year, Peter Garrett told Lateline that he had started writing songs again for the first time in "10 or 15 years" during the writing of Big Blue Sky.

"I'd get to four or five in the afternoon and try and get the words done in the day and felt the guitar sort of calling me," he said.

"This probably causes horror to my Oils colleagues but some 10 or 15 years really since I'd felt music at all and it was kind of nice.

"I thought well I'll take this sweet moment while it's there, who knows where it's going to end up but at least I got the chance to play guitar at the end of writing Big Blue Sky."

Last week AAP reported that Garrett had been making a solo album. A tweet from the frontman this morning suggests those reports may also be true.

http://doublej.net.au/news/music-news/m ... -reforming
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Re: The Oils

Postby Pseudo » Sun May 15, 2016 10:21 pm

@PhilG will be happy ...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Board index   General Talk  Music