Gadzooks! Zeibell is GAWNZZZZKI!

Into tipping/fantasy/dreamteam/supercoach/ultimate footy competitions? Its all discussed here!

Gadzooks! Zeibell is GAWNZZZZKI!

Postby Q. » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:29 am

Probably should have cashed him in earlier, but this long term-injury forces the hand.

It's getting toward the point where trades should be focused on upgrades or at least a sideways trade, but it's tempting to bring in a Vickery or Ballantyne. Me, I'm going probably going to sit him on the bench for a week with Rioli, cop the donut, see how those other two rookies play and then look for price drops in a premium player, eg. Franklin.

This has put a bit of a spanner in the works of my 'get Ablett back for finals' scheme.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: Gadzooks! Zeibell is GAWNZZZZKI!

Postby Hondo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:39 am

I am planning to exchange Ziebell and either Sidebottom or MBrown for Ballantyne ($94K) and a premium forward like Chapman, SJ or Goodwin. I have some concern about Sidebottom's position in the side as their players come back whereas MBrown (who scores lower) seems a lock each week. Sidebottom should be around $300K when I can upgrade him hopefully.

Franklin will be below $400K in 2 weeks by the looks. Unfortunately I already have him.

But first I need to get Beau Muston off the field by upgrading Hamish Hartlett who I was hoping would have a higher price by now. His repeated injuries have stalled his price and I can't wait any longer.

I hesitated on upgrading Ziebell this week and it's now cost me $30K (he will drop to $280K) and 100 points. I am learning that sometimes you just have to move. It's interesting seeing how the guys who play for overall points do it which is to build their full team by about now'ish and then leave 4-6 trades to cover injuries for the last 9-10 weeks. Well, that's what it looks like they are doing. REB, is that right?

I am finding that focussing too much on saving trades for the finals is knocking around my scores at the moment.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:42 am

Music to my ears hondo. I'd like to say that I am a wise and all knowing Points chaser but I have to admit that I am addicted to trades! I need a good run with injury over the next few weeks if I hope to win the flag. Sheesh, I had about seven players down in the first round and a half this season!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Hondo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:09 am

Hartlett - Cooney
Ziebell - Ballantyne
Sidebottom - SJ, Goodwin or Chapman

Will leave me with 5 trades and $100K for the last 7-8 weeks. Most importantly, I'll only have 1 rookie left on the field (barring injuries) being Broughton/Hurley/Rance in defence.

Well, that's the plan anyway!
Hondo
Coach

Postby unknown source » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:26 am

think it was bad luck for ziebell going down.. cant help it, dont be so hard on yourself
unknown source
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Q. » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:29 am

Did you get Ablett back, Hondo?

I'll be crunching the numbers and work with four or five trades in coming weeks to upgrade and settle my team. Hodge is looking the goods to replace C Cornes, will probably keep Rioli, Zeibell to Franklin and K Cornes to make way for Ablett.
Q.
Coach

Postby Hondo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:37 am

Yeah I got Ablett back 2 weeks ago. I had spare cash from downgrading Suban and Krakouer so upgraded Rich.

I was sorry to let Rich go to be honest. Probably should have let Hartlett go for him and left Rich as my 6th midfielder for now. In fact, in hindsight I shouldn't have traded him out in the first place. K Cornes - Ablett is also something I thought of and is a good idea. I am hoping to be able to do a luxury upgrade of Kornes to a gun like Dal Santo right at finals time.

Of course, best laid plans usually don't happen!

The other thing I hear on the forums is that a lot of teams at the top have burned down their trades and relying on a bit of luck with injuries from here. So maybe some trading cautious-ness will pay off yet.
Hondo
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:44 am

hondo71 wrote:So maybe some trading cautious-ness will pay off yet.

Hopefully, that has been my plan :ympray:
Q.
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:22 pm

Quichey wrote:Did you get Ablett back, Hondo?

I'll be crunching the numbers and work with four or five trades in coming weeks to upgrade and settle my team. Hodge is looking the goods to replace C Cornes, will probably keep Rioli, Zeibell to Franklin and K Cornes to make way for Ablett.

What did Hodge get this week? I'm still not sure about Hodgey. He'll start copping tags and he can't zone off as much as last year because of the unsettled nature of the Hawk backline. More than happy not to have Hodgey.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:27 pm

hondo71 wrote:Hartlett - Cooney
Ziebell - Ballantyne
Sidebottom - SJ, Goodwin or Chapman

Will leave me with 5 trades and $100K for the last 7-8 weeks. Most importantly, I'll only have 1 rookie left on the field (barring injuries) being Broughton/Hurley/Rance in defence.

Well, that's the plan anyway!

The only problem with that is that Hurley has played one game all year. He's had a quad injury and a gallstone problem and even had his car pinched! Not the sort of luck you can rely on but I guess you can argue that he's due ha ha. As for Ballantyne, he hasn't been able to get on the park yet. He got injured in the warm up before the Port game so another golden luck charm there.

So if you do get SJ, Goodwin or Chappy (two of which who also missed some football this year) you'll only have a dodgy player to back him up. Not the sort of option to attempt if you are only going to be left with 5 trades at the end of it. You are racking up points in a fairly soft league and probably don't need to burn these trades. Sideways trades might be out. Look for one or two 'cash savers' instead and save the sideways stuff for the finals for when you will need them.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:28 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Quichey wrote:Did you get Ablett back, Hondo?

What did Hodge get this week? I'm still not sure about Hodgey. He'll start copping tags and he can't zone off as much as last year because of the unsettled nature of the Hawk backline. More than happy not to have Hodgey.

regards,

REB

It's definitely a risk. I'm also eyeing off H Shaw, who is even riskier. Drummond's price will plummet after his first two games back from injury, he is also an option. Of course, the safe bet is Enright or Adcock.
Q.
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:30 pm

I reckon Hodgey will start to get worked through the midfield soon, albeit likely in smallish spurts initially but it should see him on the rise ... The downside I guess is that if the Hawks fallout out of contention late in the season they could wrap him up in cotton wool.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Hondo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:The only problem with that is that Hurley has played one game all year. He's had a quad injury and a gallstone problem and even had his car pinched! Not the sort of luck you can rely on but I guess you can argue that he's due ha ha. As for Ballantyne, he hasn't been able to get on the park yet. He got injured in the warm up before the Port game so another golden luck charm there.

So if you do get SJ, Goodwin or Chappy (two of which who also missed some football this year) you'll only have a dodgy player to back him up. Not the sort of option to attempt if you are only going to be left with 5 trades at the end of it. You are racking up points in a fairly soft league and probably don't need to burn these trades. Sideways trades might be out. Look for one or two 'cash savers' instead and save the sideways stuff for the finals for when you will need them.

regards,

REB

Yes, that's good advice. Safer option is just to upgrade Ziebell to someone in a few weeks time and sit on Hartlett for now. I wouldn't do the Ballantyne trade until I'd seen 2 decent scores out of him so the trades would be spread over 3-4 weeks. Dunno .....

You know what's driving my conflict of points v finals? It's getting hyped up on the BF Super Coach board where there's guys in the top 5000 trading like there's no tomorrow and racking up points. I am ranked 2000 and am curious to see how high I can go. I have 8 trades left and you saw my team this week. Couple of holes there although some bad luck too with Muston & Ziebell this week.
Hondo
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:27 pm

It depends what you really want Hondo. If you wanna see high how you can get overrall then maybe trade away, but for me it's all about winning another Hogg Shield, doesn't bother me if I have a couple of poor rounds in the next few, I just want to be in the box seat come finals time.
Q.
Coach

Board index   Football  AFL  Fantasy/Tipping Footy