Hogg Premier League 2020

Into tipping/fantasy/dreamteam/supercoach/ultimate footy competitions? Its all discussed here!

Re: Hogg Premier League 2020

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:53 pm

Round 13

Richo Richo Man 2285
Poon Illuminati 2047

Chicken Twisties 2135
Delicious 2005

Inner Sanctum 2486
Q Before You 2208

Has Been 2342
Roosters 2181

REBCats 2217
Wadey's Warriors 2128

Ecky's Fevolas 2274
Ben Rolfsburgers 1516

Mediocre at Best 2456
Sharks 2251

TEAM_FISH 2452
Hondo SCC 2293

Hips Don't Lie 2211
Captain Who? 2110

Ladder

1 Hips Don't Lie 10 3 27180 26456 102.74 40
2 Ecky's Fevelas 8 5 27567 26331 104.69 32
3 Chicken Twisties 8 5 26847 26085 102.92 32
4 Roosters 8 5 26917 26239 102.58 32
5 Inner Sanctum 8 5 27765 27676 100.32 32
6 Q Before You 7 6 27218 26348 103.30 28
7 Hondo SCC 7 6 27317 26997 101.19 28
8 REBCats 7 6 27078 26859 100.82 28

9 Has Been 7 6 27797 27582 100.78 28
10 TEAM_FISH 7 6 27487 27513 99.91 28
11 Richo Richo Man 7 6 26744 26964 99.18 28
12 Captain Who? 6 7 27644 27437 100.75 24
13 Delicious 6 7 26868 26689 100.67 24
14 Mediocre at Best 6 7 27278 27210 100.25 24
15 Sharks 6 7 27175 27357 99.33 24
16 Poon Illuminati 4 9 26483 27018 98.02 16
17 Wadey's Warriors 3 10 26585 27538 96.54 12
18 Ben Rolfsburgers 2 11 23587 27238 86.60 8

It's a tale of woe for the Beeners who were evicted from the house as soon as he put his bags on the floor. With one match remaining in the minor round the REBCats required a miracle to make eight after captain Neale spudded up the day before. Coach REB kicked the figurative feline and didn't bother checking the scores until late and suddenly realised he was in with a sneaky chance. It was a nervous few minutes during the scaling period but when the numbers dropped the Cats had scraped in by .04% to make the finals. It is the second straight year that the top scoring team in the league has missed the finals.

With the top scoring team thus on ice thoughts move along to the contenders. Inner Sanctum was mighty impressive in dispatching Q Man as Hippys carded the regulation win and Ecky had an absolute romp over what is left of Ben Tanksbergers. While REB was fighting to make the eight, Hammo was spudding it up against Richo Richo who once again left his best work too late. You could say the same for FISH who had a poor season but did not have time to recover and make the eight. Mediocre at Best also finished the season strongly but couldn't make up that poor start. Poon illuminati survived the drop after Wadey couldn't do an eleventh hour escape against the Cats and Captain Who and Sharks were both teams who had some brilliant early form but dropped away quite a bit towards the latter part of the season.

Looking forward I think the top four sides don't look especially unbeatable with Inner Sanctum and Hondo looking good things. If those two get done this week, which is unlikely, it would be anyone's flag from the six that remain. I think Inner Sanctum look the strongest but I won't be bemoaning my luck in having to play them first up in case One Club Player hunts me for sport.

Finals

1st Qualifying Final - Hips Don't Lie vs. Roosters

Like most of these finals this one is going to be a tight affair (the best kind if you are lucky enough). Roosters has the edge not having to cover Lachie Neale and Hippy also has to cover Laird and O'Brien. Balancing this up a bit is that the Chooks will be sweating on the return of Elliot Yeo and Max Gawn. Not sure what the Geo is with Yeo but the whisper around the traps is that big Maxy will be back next week to face Ryder and Marshall. Even if Yeo does not suit up Hippys look to have a few more dodgy players to get rid of so I reckon the Roosters will be crowing at the end of this one. My tip - Roosters.

2nd Qualifying Final - Eckys Fevolas vs. Chicken Twisties

Both teams have a heap to cover but Twisties backup troops look a little thin on the ground and include inconsistent types such as Wingard, Parfitt and blokes with no job security like Close. In comparison Ecky can call on Noble and Woodcock as their lesser lights and these guys seem to return a handy 70 most weeks. Like Roosters, Ecky has managed to hold on to Gawn so he will loom as a major trump card in this fixture if selected. Twisties have bugger all guns to call upon and would need The Bont to get another 199 to make Ecky look up from his newspaper. Can't see Twisties winning this one. My tip - Ecky's Fevolas.

1st Elimination Final - Inner Sanctum vs. REBCats

After sweating it out for the past month and pulling every desperate move I could think of to make the eight, I looked up and checked Sanctum's team and wonder why I bothered. Inner Sanctum is ahead in every department and it is going to take some clever glyvening by Professor Rink to come out on top in this particular fixture. I'm a bit like Carlton 99, I snaffled that finals spot that Essendon should have had. The only thing I can hope for is a couple of off days by one or more of Sanctum's many gun uniques. Naturally this wily old dog has a trick or two up his sleeve but by the end of the day the Cats will most likely be in the dog house. My tip - Inner Sanctum.

2nd Elimination Final - Hondo SCC v Q Before You

A bit of an old school rivalry here with two teams who have had many fine battles over the years in Hogg Premier. This one could be the closest final of the four. I would have loved to have played either of them this week as they both have three Lions/Crows keeper but Gawn in the wings gives Q Man something of an edge. However, looking at the Q outfit I can see a stinky player who I know is stinky because he plays for the REBCats in Cottrell. Cottrell is so poor he makes Hondo's Williamson look like a good option so for every Hondo option that is questionable, Q appears to have someone who is just a few points behind. So Gawn or not, I'm leaning towards a Hondo victory in what should be a classic final. My tip - Hondo SCC.

Congratulations to all finalists and good luck this week.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:59 pm

Feenix wrote:
One Club Player wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:I have snuck in by .04%, that's got to be the closest finals qualification in Premier history hey @hambone? ;)

Thank you Grundy and Goldie!

regards,

REB

Absolutely shafted. Finished top on points scored and missed finals by 10 measly points with Grundy (captain) and Goldy spudding up in the last game of the minor round. Had Mitchell as VC but couldn't take it as all my bench was playing. 2020 can get fugged!!
Very unlucky mate

Not feeling the love boys! :D

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby fish » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:32 pm

Cheers REB for getting this together every week and every year. In the end my poor season took its toll but gutted that I only missed finals by less than 1%. Is it 2021 yet?
fish
Coach

Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:49 pm

Finals Week One

1st Qualifying Final
Roosters 2132
Hips Don't Lie 1957

2nd Qualifying Final
Ecky's Fevolas 2269
Chicken Twisties 2078

1st Elimination Final
REBCats 2094
Inner Sanctum 1981

2nd Elimination Final
Q Before You 2196
Hondo SCC 1985

Minor premiers Hips Don't Lie was just another minor premier to fail in their Qualifying Final last weekend. Out of seven Hogg/Piglet competitions, only one minor premier got the job done with the rest all getting the staggers. I wonder how many of those six minor premiers are going out in straight sets. Hips Don't Lie has been the master of winning matches this year and won the minor premiership by two matches but after last week's games they rank only tenth in terms of points scored for the season (sorry One Club!). The Roosters looked a good thing and duly saluted which gives them a week off while everyone else fights tooth and nail to stay alive in the semis. Eckys Fevolas were the most impressive as they defeated Chicken Twisties in a dismissive manner which confirmed their premiership favouritism status. 2269 is a decent score with eighteen and Ecky will be tough to beat. In the knockout games Q flogged a disappointing Hondo while REBCats pulled off a massive upset against the team that was the highest scorer of those that made the finals. The win over Inner Sanctum was REBCats' first finals win in eight seasons. :shock:

Semi Finals - tips in bold.

Hips Don't Lie v REBCats
Chicken Twisties v Q Before You

Hips Don't Lie has been looking down on the Cats (and most of us really)j all season but to me they look vulnerable enough for me to select myself when I hate doing that. The last time we played it was a narrow win to Hippys even though I pulled every shite move in the book to eventually get done. Hopefully I can jag a half decent captaincy score as that has been killing me the last three weeks. I'm due! Q Man looks a more solid bet to win the other semi with the Twisties scoring even less than Hips Don't LIe and REBCats so far this season. The Premier League this season hasn't done well with the rankings with a lot of really good coaches not scoring well and in an even more peculiar event, top scoring teams somehow missed the finals anyway. This year could be the year of the battler but I can't see the battling Twisties being fresh enough to end Q's year.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Hondo » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:10 pm

I had too many 70-80s from so called premiums that did not get it done in the head to heads with the likes of Oliver and Steele that Q brought in

.. Fyfe, Duncan, Kelly (unlucky), Viney, B Smith, Ceglar, Cripps, Thurlow and Simpkin. Maybe Ridley too I can't remember if Q had him. Granted Ceglar and Thurlow were not certain winners but the other 7 could have added the 200 points I ended up being short.

Q had a letdown with Ryan and I got lucky with Riccardi. I also had a win with Lloyd. But overall I had too many under perform.

After Sat night I could see the writing on the wall and didn't think trading Neale was going to save me so I left it alone. Steele was just fantastic for Q.

One year my players will step up when i need them in finals.

Well done Q and good luck to the remaining 6 teams.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Q. » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:52 pm

Hondo wrote:I had too many 70-80s from so called premiums that did not get it done in the head to heads with the likes of Oliver and Steele that Q brought in

.. Fyfe, Duncan, Kelly (unlucky), Viney, B Smith, Ceglar, Cripps, Thurlow and Simpkin. Maybe Ridley too I can't remember if Q had him. Granted Ceglar and Thurlow were not certain winners but the other 7 could have added the 200 points I ended up being short.

Q had a letdown with Ryan and I got lucky with Riccardi. I also had a win with Lloyd. But overall I had too many under perform.

After Sat night I could see the writing on the wall and didn't think trading Neale was going to save me so I left it alone. Steele was just fantastic for Q.

One year my players will step up when i need them in finals.

Well done Q and good luck to the remaining 6 teams.

I basically forgot to trade during the season (short season caught me out) so I had a stack of trades left. I literally traded out premos who had the bye for premos who were playing to lock in the win.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:58 pm

Loving the work of Travis Boak since I picked him up. A cheap player who scores well. I needed to start nailing trades towards the latter part of the year and it's safe to say I nailed that one. Having the consistent McGrath go down at this point of the year is most inconvenient though I must say.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:54 am

Semi FInals

1st Semi Final
REBCats 2039
Hips Don't Lie 2025

2nd Semi Final
Chicken Twisties 2097
Q Before You 2022

Chicken Twisties and the REBCats have won through after a couple of closely contested Semi Finals in the Premier League. I thought Q would be able to defeat Twisties but full credit to the Chooks as they keep on coming up fresh no matter how much I trash them in these write ups. It might be time to respect the Twisties a bit more but if I pick them they are bound to go down the gurgler for sure. Hips Don't Lie was on the ropes more than halfway through the tie but after a dire Tuesday night for the Cats, suddenly Hippys were back in the race. It was captain Neale v Greenwood tonight and Greenwood's 125 was certainly needed as Neale racked up 302 for the Tigers. It's the end of the road for Hips Don't Lie who had an excellent minor round but couldn't get the job done in finals. Q Man would be frustrated with his exit as well as he looked to have the Chooks covered...but as we all have seen, there was a twist. :lol:

Prelimnary Finals - tips in bold.

1st Preliminary Final - Roosters v Chicken Twisties
2nd Preliminary Final - Ecky's Fevolas v REBCats

Apologies once again to Twisties as I'm tipping against them again, but perhaps the apologies should go to the Roosters in the Chook derby. Twisties have scored well when it matters and this Prelim will be a much closer affair than the other match. I hereby rate Chicken Twisties but I think the Roosters might get up here...maybe it will be about as close as the Cats v Hippy semi. In the other final I can't see how my boys are going to salute against Ecky who looks to have me covered on every line. The REBCats have been well served by the top eighteen selection as it covers some of the horrendous duds I somehow still have in my side. On Preliminary Final day there will be nowhere to hide and Ecky will win this final comfortably.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:16 am

Fyfe, Oliver, Haynes & May all scored well below average, which let me down in a close contest. Had a feeling I was cooked early when Boak scored 145 :roll:
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:45 pm

Preliminary Finals

1st Preliminary Final
Roosters 2539
Chicken Twisties 2257

2nd Preliminary Final
Ecky's Fevolas 2304
REBCats 2205

Congratulations to the Roosters and Ecky's Fevolas who have qualified for the Hogg Premier League Grand Final for season 2020. The Roosters go into the Grand Final with some cracking form behind them with a blistering 2539 to smash an unlucky Twisties by 282 points. Twisties scored well but the Roosters were on fire and they will take some stopping in the Grand Final. In the other prelim, hot favourite Ecky duly won through but notbefore the REBCats hung around for nuisance value. The left field captaincy choice didn't work but in reality this final was over as soon as Leon dropped Conigs and Riccardi. Too many F1 flops had me scrambling over the second half of the season so I'm pretty happy to finish fourth this year It should be a cracking final with Ecky scoring well for most of the season and Roosters coming good at exactly the right time.

Grand Final - Roosters vs Ecky's Fevolas. Tips in Grand FInal thread.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL  Fantasy/Tipping Footy