A league 2012/13 news, results and transfers discussion

Home of the A-League, the Soceroos, Local leagues, etc

Re: A league 2012/13 news, results and transfers discussion

Postby Jim05 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Congratulations to the Wanderers for winning the league in their debut season.
Well deserved Champions and have won the only trophy that matters
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3650 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:16 am

I don't give a rats who wins the minor premiership its all about who wins the Grand Final. My Mariners won the minor premiership last year but lost the GF on penalties meaning it meant nothing. Adelaide City's GF wins (and awesome wins they were) were easily he pinnacle for me.
The only importance of inning the minor premiership is you're now assured of all home finals, I wish that was the case last year! :(
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2149 times
Been liked: 4089 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:05 am

Wedgie wrote:I don't give a rats who wins the minor premiership its all about who wins the Grand Final. My Mariners won the minor premiership last year but lost the GF on penalties meaning it meant nothing. Adelaide City's GF wins (and awesome wins they were) were easily he pinnacle for me.
The only importance of inning the minor premiership is you're now assured of all home finals, I wish that was the case last year! :(

Its about time Australia stopped copying the US and went to first past the post.
Soccer in this country doesnt need a stupid finals system.
No wonder the true football countries piss themselves laughing at the MLS and A-League setup
Jim05
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:09 am

Jim05 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I don't give a rats who wins the minor premiership its all about who wins the Grand Final. My Mariners won the minor premiership last year but lost the GF on penalties meaning it meant nothing. Adelaide City's GF wins (and awesome wins they were) were easily he pinnacle for me.

Its about time Australia stopped copying the US and went to first past the post.
No wonder the true football countries piss themselves laughing at the MLS and A-League setup

Its not copying the US, its doing it the Australian way.
Some people need to stop obsessing with copying other countries in regard to first past the post.
Minor premiership means nothing.
And my clubs in various sports have won more minor premierships than GFs.
Plus we're the no football nation in the world. What some soccer playing third world countries that I never want to visit means jack shit to me. I'm Australian, football is played on an oval shaped ground, soccer is played on rectangle ground and its all about winning Grand Finals. Simple.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby whufc » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:36 am

Jim05 wrote:

Imho the problem with having no relegation, 2 asian spots available and first past the post is there would be far to many dead rubbers!

To me it is the true indicator of the best team all year but I don't think the A-league is in a financial position to scrap finals
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5647 times
Been liked: 2581 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:04 am

Also I follow English Rugby League and Super 15s rugby. They both have finals systems and neither are based in Australia or the US. In fact the more I think of it the only competitions I really care about around the world have finals. Even the World Culture of soccer and the Olympics are a finals system of sorts.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby RoosterMarty » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:16 am

Jim05 wrote:

Are Mexico not a true football country? Chile also has playoffs and I'm sure there are more.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Jim05 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:21 am

Would much rather a first past the post league setup and then have an FA cup type setup where state league sides are involved.
Cant see there ever being enough sides to have a relegation system. Realistically I think the A-League can only support 8-10 sides at the moment
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:25 am

RoosterMarty wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Are Mexico not a true football country? Chile also has playoffs and I'm sure there are more.

Im sure there are. Maybe its because ive been brought up with the English setup and the whole finals thing just sounds weird.
I know the setup will never change in Australia, im just glad the EPL will never go down that path
Jim05
Coach

Postby RoosterMarty » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:26 am

The cost is the biggest problem with an FA Cup setup. It would be great to see but they would have to have the state teams play their fellow state teams with the winner going into the main draw or something. Otherwise you could have a local state league side from WA being asked to travel to play Wellington. With Australia being such a vast nation it makes things tough.

Also our culture makes me think a relegation wouldn't work, how many fans will turn up to watch their relegated team play in Div 2? I could see a lot of fans dropping off until they gained promotion again.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times

Postby mickey » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:55 pm

Wedgie wrote: My Mariners won the minor premiership last year but lost the GF on penalties

I must have been at a different GF... does that mean it was all just a nightmare and Brisbane didn't win!

WOO HOO
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Wedgie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:50 am

mickey wrote:
Wedgie wrote: My Mariners won the minor premiership last year but lost the GF on penalties

I must have been at a different GF... does that mean it was all just a nightmare and Brisbane didn't win!

WOO HOO

Ha ha yeah whoops, am getting the last 2 GFs mixed up but both finals series were nightmares I'd want to forget! :oops:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby mickey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:23 pm

FINALS TIME

week 1

Friday night
Melbourne Victory(3) v Perth Glory(6)

Sunday Arvo
Adelaide United(4) v Brisbane Roar(5)

week 2

April 12
Western Sydney Wanderers(1) v Lowest ranked winner

April 14
Central Coast Mariners(2) v Highest ranked winner

week 3

April 21
Winner of SF1 v Winner of SF2
mickey
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:19 pm

Barring a miracle I cant see United winning
Think the Victory should win easily aswell
Jim05
Coach

Postby mickey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:08 pm

Wouldn't be too sure that the Friday night game is a foregone conclusion Jim.. don't forget we beat them in Melbourne last week.
mickey
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:12 pm

mickey wrote:Wouldn't be too sure that the Friday night game is a foregone conclusion Jim.. don't forget we beat them in Melbourne last week.

Only my thoughts, you have more chance of winning than us, that I am pretty sure of
Jim05
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:13 am

Even though I'm a mad Mariners fan, how much difference will there be in atmosphere between the 2 semi finals! :shock:
Anyone heard where the GF will be played if WSW or CCM win?
I'm still ropable that the year we earned one we had to play in Sydney, cost us a championship IMHO.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Il Duce » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:06 pm

Wedgie wrote:Even though I'm a mad Mariners fan, how much difference will there be in atmosphere between the 2 semi finals! :shock:
I'm still ropable that the year we earned one we had to play in Sydney, cost us a championship IMHO.

GF will be played at the sfs...i guess homebush if they thought huge crowd.

Ccm ground isn't big enough for a final nor is paramata.

If Melbourne then at etihad, if adelaide hindmarsh no matter what (only if us Perth.go all the way that can happen)
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:31 pm

Il Duce wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Even though I'm a mad Mariners fan, how much difference will there be in atmosphere between the 2 semi finals! :shock:

GF will be played at the sfs...i guess homebush if they thought huge crowd.

Ccm ground isn't big enough for a final nor is paramata.

If Melbourne then at etihad, if adelaide hindmarsh no matter what (only if us Perth.go all the way that can happen)

Paramatta can hold as many as Hindmarsh.
Finals should be at the best ground possible, ANZ's surface is a disgrace, hope its at SFS
Jim05
Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:01 pm

I don't follow soccer but I accept its here to stay. So I hope WSW sh!ts it in. Will make a great story of a club that came from nowhere and beat the odds.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  Australian Soccer