Shane Smeltz

Home of the A-League, the Soceroos, Local leagues, etc

Re: Shane Smeltz

Postby The Jack » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:56 am

Shane Smeltz... The Fillipo Inzaghi of the A-League! ;)
The Jack
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby daicos » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:58 am

devilsadvocate wrote:
daicos wrote:
devilsadvocate wrote:Fowler well past his prime is still better than Smeltz.

you just lost some serious credibility there dude

Haven't seen him play this year huh?

Anyway, if I've lost credibility in the eyes of someone who thinks Smeltz is world class and should be at a big European club, I'm not going to lose any sleep.

Whoa there, hold the horses.
I was referring to your comment about Fowler mate, I said nothing about world class (in fact the opposite) or a big Euorpean club???
You are getting your knickers in a knot big time, take a chill pill.
daicos
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:29 pm

daicos wrote:Whoa there, hold the horses.
I was referring to your comment about Fowler mate, I said nothing about world class (in fact the opposite) or a big Euorpean club???

I'm chilled. My response was hardly getting my 'nickers in a knot'.

My arguements are solely around the claims that Smeltz is worldclass and should be at a big club.
You've jumped in halfway through, which is fine, but you've said I lost credibility for claiming Fowler is better than Smeltz.

So you're implying that Smeltz is better than Fowler, which I disagree with. I apologise for diagreeing with you, but that's my opinion.

You also said that the role of a striker is to just get into the right position and paoch goals. While that's a large part of their role, the world class strikers at big european clubs do a heck of a lot more than that. They also do things like create, link up, harrass defenders, create space and take free kicks.

So on credibility, perhaps watch a bit more football before you slate me off.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Postby Swamp Donkey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:57 pm

The Jack wrote:Shane Smeltz... The Fillipo Inzaghi of the A-League! ;)

You sure about that Jack?? He has a pretty impressive record....

Though I do agree Kate Ellis is definately a PILF! Its the only election sign that I actually apy attention to as I'm driving through Adelaide!
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:27 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:

Though I do agree Kate Ellis is definately a PILF! Its the only election sign that I actually apy attention to as I'm driving through Adelaide!

Correct me if I'm wrong Jack, but I think what he's saying is that Inzaghi is a poacher of the highest order. Inzaghi was pure class once he got the ball, but getting it wasn't his strong point. I recall Fergie having a pop at Inzaghi one time along the lines of him always being offside trying to poach a goal.

However when the team is off, Inzaghi is nowhere to be seen. He has a great scoring record by virtue of being in a side brimming with creative players.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby daicos » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:02 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:
daicos wrote:Whoa there, hold the horses.

I'm chilled. My response was hardly getting my 'nickers in a knot'.

My arguements are solely around the claims that Smeltz is worldclass and should be at a big club.
You've jumped in halfway through, which is fine, but you've said I lost credibility for claiming Fowler is better than Smeltz.

So you're implying that Smeltz is better than Fowler, which I disagree with. I apologise for diagreeing with you, but that's my opinion.

You also said that the role of a striker is to just get into the right position and paoch goals. While that's a large part of their role, the world class strikers at big european clubs do a heck of a lot more than that. They also do things like create, link up, harrass defenders, create space and take free kicks.

So on credibility, perhaps watch a bit more football before you slate me off.

Fair enough, I guess we are entitled to our opinions but how do you make it that Fowler (well past his prime as you put it) is better than Smeltz?? Fowler did sweet FA last year...
daicos
Under 16s

Postby overloaded » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:07 pm

Yes please explain why is Fowler better??
therealROSSCO wrote:Now listen to this loud and clear.....

I have not been approached to coach at the WFC this year, next year or any year. I have not approached the WFC to coach this year, next year or any year. This is an unconditional statement.
overloaded
2009 Punting Comp Winner

Postby another grub » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:47 pm

Fowler is a passenger and keeping a good young kid out of his side.
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 434 times
Been liked: 404 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:35 pm

another grub wrote:Fowler is a passenger and keeping a good young kid out of his side.

You clearly didn't see him play in Round 1. He was immense.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:47 pm

daicos wrote:Fair enough, I guess we are entitled to our opinions but how do you make it that Fowler (well past his prime as you put it) is better than Smeltz?? Fowler did sweet FA last year...

Overloaded called Fowler 'well past his prime'. I merely copied it, and although it's not far from the truth, I do think he's got lots to offer in the a-league. Fowler still scored 9 goals last season. Sure last year wasn't his best year, but there seemed to be off-field issues with the manager and owners.

This season he's started with a bang. His performance in round 1 was sublime. He bossed the middle of the park and brought players into the game and was involved in 2 of Perth's goals.

Fowler just has more to offer than Smeltz IMO. He provides an excellent link up and brings his team mates into the play far better than Smeltz.

Fowlers experience is absolutely priceless for any club and who wouldn't want the man they called 'god' to be passing on tips to the other young strikers at the club.

His leadership and influence on the pitch is far superior to Smeltz. Sure Smeltz scores goal, but that's all he does IMO - very 1 dimensional.

Once again it's my opinion. You lot are entitled to yours.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby scoob » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:41 pm

scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby another grub » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:27 pm

overloaded, any truth to the rumour in soccer circles that Smeltz is going to Turkey?
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 434 times
Been liked: 404 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:56 pm

another grub wrote:overloaded, any truth to the rumour in soccer circles that Smeltz is going to Turkey?

How about actually reading the post directly above yours... :roll:
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby The Jack » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:18 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:
Swamp Donkey wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong Jack, but I think what he's saying is that Inzaghi is a poacher of the highest order. Inzaghi was pure class once he got the ball, but getting it wasn't his strong point. I recall Fergie having a pop at Inzaghi one time along the lines of him always being offside trying to poach a goal.

However when the team is off, Inzaghi is nowhere to be seen. He has a great scoring record by virtue of being in a side brimming with creative players.

No need to correct you there DA, my point exactly! :)
The Jack
Under 18s

Postby overloaded » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:03 am

devilsadvocate wrote:However when the team is off, Inzaghi is nowhere to be seen. He has a great scoring record by virtue of being in a side brimming with creative players.

How did Smeltz score so many goals for Wellington then??...they were off every week and at the time hardly any "creative" players??

I have not been approached to coach at the WFC this year, next year or any year. I have not approached the WFC to coach this year, next year or any year. This is an unconditional statement.
overloaded
2009 Punting Comp Winner

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:26 pm

overloaded wrote:
devilsadvocate wrote:However when the team is off, Inzaghi is nowhere to be seen. He has a great scoring record by virtue of being in a side brimming with creative players.

How did Smeltz score so many goals for Wellington then??...they were off every week and at the time hardly any "creative" players??

So clearly you didn't watch Wellington at all....
Wellington still created plenty of chances and scored goals (Smeltz 12 from 20 games....hardly setting the world on fire). But their defence was about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. Which is why they lost games.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby overloaded » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:41 am

devilsadvocate wrote:Wellington still created plenty of chances and scored goals (Smeltz 12 from 20 games....hardly setting the world on fire).

12 goals was more than any other player in the league.

overloaded
2009 Punting Comp Winner

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:47 am

With 3 scoring 11 and 2 scoring 10.
Like I said, hardly setting the world on fire :roll:
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby The Jack » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:01 am

What's happening with the great man now? Shandong Luneng not happy apparently! Could be banned for 6 months! Can't find a link but I read it yesterday.
The Jack
Under 18s

Postby Dirko » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:12 pm

The Jack wrote:What's happening with the great man now? Shandong Luneng not happy apparently! Could be banned for 6 months! Can't find a link but I read it yesterday.

:lol:

That's what happens when you complain that the Spring Rolls are cold....

http://www.tribalfootball.com/shandong-luneng-set-put-forward-smeltz-complaint-1071441
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  Australian Soccer