Your EPL team of the year and why

EPL, FA Cup, Carling Cup, The Championship, etc

Your EPL team of the year and why

Postby johntheclaret » Tue May 24, 2011 6:51 am

It would be easy to say Man U, but in reality they were tipped to finish in the top two as was Chelsea. So without just pushing your own team who would you pick as the EPL team of the year.

My tip would be WBA. Finished safe when many would have them down as relegation fodder and had to overcome a managerial change midway.

Second would go to Fulham. Best ever record for them in the EPL. Quietly went about thier business and Hughes has definitely got them going in the right direction leading them to thier lowest losses and highest wins, in a season, in their history in the top flight.

3rd would be Blackpool. Although relegated, they have been a breath of fresh air and been involved in so many high scoring games it is impossible to remember them all. Unlucky to go down with 39 points, enough to keep them up any other year, and kicked 55 goals to boot.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: Your EPL team of the year and why

Postby Jim05 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:46 am

Agree with all your choices there JTC.
Have an honourable mention to Sunderland who finished top 10 and more importantly ahead of the toon :D
For me Wigan gets a big tip, in a bbc poll at start of season over 90% had them to be relegated, they are probably the smallest club in the league and run with a very tight budget. Martinez has done extremely well to keep them up on last day again and extend their run in the league.
I cant understand why rodallega hasnt attracted interest from other clubs, nearly every time ive watched wigan he has been their best by a mile
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3562 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Pidge » Tue May 24, 2011 10:36 am

I'd say Stoke. To reach the FA Cup Final and also finishing 13th, 3 points from 8th.. was a decent effort.
It's Somma Time!
Pidge
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby JK » Tue May 24, 2011 10:41 am

Think the teams you've mentioned lads have all had better than honourable years and are rightly mentioned, but if I push bias to one side I would have to say Man U.

They have had better looking teams and squads than this season, certainly younger looking that's for sure, but they still kept finding ways to win and in the end they won the league very comfortably, really without ever being challenged by their 3 nearest rivals.

Their squad isn't cheap by any means, but when you look at the endless pools of resources both Chelsea and Man City have, their achievement is quite astonishing and as Ollie said just prior to the Blackpool game on the weekend, I think it's been Fergie's best season.

For these reasons I reckon they are every chance to lift the Champions League trophy also.

Also, if I looked at my own mob, there's no way we could have carried an out of touch Rooney for so long, or an injured Valencia and still excelled.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dirko » Tue May 24, 2011 11:06 am

Fulham for mine, followed by WBA.

Man U can geffuged....Come on Barca :lol:
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko