EPL Discussion Thread 2010/2011

EPL, FA Cup, Carling Cup, The Championship, etc

Re: EPL Discussion Thread 2010/2011

Postby smithy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:22 am

devilsadvocate wrote:I read that overnight cossi - terrible news for Everton and piss poor on Gosling's behalf.

It probably shows a bit about the character of the bloke, so maybe he'll turn out a flop?

He's bloody good though.

Is his agent Danny Cadamateri (spel) ?
smithy

Postby devilsadvocate » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Paul the Octopus has had his say on the Premiership's winner for 2010-2011:

devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby devilsadvocate » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:19 pm

Gomes the octopus has also had his say:

ImageImageImage
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:17 am

Has Gomes got one of those joke false arms in that photo. His left arm is about a foot longer than his right. :D I guess that would explain a few things though ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:55 am

The crazy, detached from reality, world of an ex premiership footballer.

Take Jimmy Bullard at Hull City. Injured for most of last season, the 31 year old is / was looking for a loan move to Celtic. He obviously feels he is too good for the CCC even though he played very little part in Hull City's campaign last year, and from memory, the games he did play in, he was hardly a netbuster.

Anyway, in the dreamworld that is planet Bullard, he believes that Celtic is the level at which he belongs, assuming Celtic are a level above Hull in the first place, and the highest level of footbal demands the highest level of pay.

Not suprisingly, Celtic turned down his offer to play for them providing they added another $60,000 per week to the $90,000 a week he was already getting at Hull.

Think about this for a moment. 31 year old Jimmy Bullard believes he is worth $150,000 a week............... I bet you just thought, "that's just ******* crazy". Welcome to the crazy world of English football. :D :( :oops: :twisted:
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:20 am

Betting news as Martin Jol's odds of becoming the next Fulham manager are slashed from 33/1 to 6/1 by William Hill after the former Spurs' boss was the subject of the latest gamble to succeed Roy Hodgson at Craven Cottage

Actually, it would make sense. Jol has experience in the EPL with Spurs, where many think he got a raw deal. He has spent time in London and he is an experienced manager. I think Fulham could do worse. (Sven springs to mind)
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby LPH » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:34 am

johntheclaret wrote:Betting news as Martin Jol's odds of becoming the next Fulham manager are slashed from 33/1 to 6/1 by William Hill after the former Spurs' boss was the subject of the latest gamble to succeed Roy Hodgson at Craven Cottage

Actually, it would make sense. Jol has experience in the EPL with Spurs, where many think he got a raw deal. He has spent time in London and he is an experienced manager. I think Fulham could do worse. (Sven springs to mind)

Agreed... Sven is a shocking move, hope we don't but have been told it's done.
I would've liked Ottmar Hitzfield
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby RoosterMarty » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:54 am

Very strange news re Jimmy Bullard. He has always seemed like one of the few good guys left in professional football so it is bizarre to read that he expected 150k per week at Celtic considering his injury problems.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:01 pm

RoosterMarty wrote:Very strange news re Jimmy Bullard. He has always seemed like one of the few good guys left in professional football so it is bizarre to read that he expected 150k per week at Celtic considering his injury problems.

Agreed.
I always liked Bullard, but that's a piss take. He's not going to Citeh

I love the Bullard song though:

"Jim Bullard Bullard
He's fitter than Frank Lampard
He's Better than Steve Garrard
Jim Bullard Bullard"
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:53 am

LoudEagleHooligan wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:Betting news as Martin Jol's odds of becoming the next Fulham manager are slashed from 33/1 to 6/1 by William Hill after the former Spurs' boss was the subject of the latest gamble to succeed Roy Hodgson at Craven Cottage

Agreed... Sven is a shocking move, hope we don't but have been told it's done.
I would've liked Ottmar Hitzfield

Sven has been distancing himself from the job LEH. Now that is either, "I don't want the job", or "I do want the job but I just don't want to make it public yet in case I don't get what i want". PS, does the job come with a spare 1 bed flat ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby LPH » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:55 am

Yes, looks like martin Jol will get the job now :D
LPH
League - Best 21

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:32 am

LEH wrote:Yes, looks like martin Jol will get the job now :D

BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Not really. I still love the big man BMJ!! I bet the Yids will give him a rousing reception at both games this year.

"I love Martin Joooooolllll, Martin Jooollllllll loves meeeee!!"
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:15 pm

CRAIG GORDON SUFFERS BROKEN ARM

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce is facing a major decision over his goalkeepers after Craig Gordon was ruled out of the start of the new campaign with a broken arm.
The 27-year-old Scotland international last night underwent surgery to repair a fracture he suffered close to his left wrist in training yesterday.
It is a recurrence of the injury he sustained following a challenge from Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe in November last year, and will sideline him for the opening weeks of the Barclays Premier League season and Scotland's European Championship qualifiers against Lithuania and Liechtenstein in September.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:19 am

Wasn't sure whether to post this in the friendlies thread or here.

Isn't tribalism a strange thing?

Preston take on Blackburn in a friendly on Tuesday, which in itself isn't all that unusual. Many local sides play each other as they warm up for the real season, but what is it that makes a game between Preston and blackburn possible, when a "friendly between Burnley and Blackburn would be out of the question?

It isn't location alone, although that does have some bearing on the rivalry. But Preston is probably nearer to Blackburn than Burnley is. And as if to support the denial that it is proximity, you could look at the fierce rivalry that exits between Manchester United and Leeds United. Man U have many closer neighbours: Bolton, Man City, Wigan, Blackburn, Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport etc.

Rivalry has nothing to do with success either. Blackburn won the title 1995, whilst Burnley last tasted success in 1960. In between those years, success was hardly a by-word for either club. Again, look at Man U, who hadn't won a championship for more than 26 years prior to 1992. Yet thier rivalry with Liverpool and Leeds is well known.

So it isn't proximity, and it isn't jealousy of success. Maybe it is down to one single event in history, something that took place between the two sides that started the rivalry (in Burnley and Blackburn's case, bitter haterd) that exists. the cause long since forgotten only the fact that 'we just don't get on with that lot' ?

Incidentally, it isn't restricted to just soccer. I can recall many bitter clashes between Carlton and Collingwood.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Il Duce » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:52 am

Well one Chelsea rival I know the starting point. That is Leeds and it would be the 1970 fa cup and replay that started that rivaly.
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:53 am

Il Duce wrote:Well one Chelsea rival I know the starting point. That is Leeds and it would be the 1970 fa cup and replay that started that rivaly.

But there is a difference between "rivals" and teams you "just don't like" ID. Bunley fans just don't like Sheffield United. There's been a history going back 30 years, but they aren't rivals.

I doubt most Chelseaites would not see Leeds as their rival
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:54 am

FINANCIAL WOES PUSHING JOL TO FULHAM

The Ajax board's failure to back Martin Jol in the transfer market has driven the former Tottenham manager close to a move to Fulham, according to a former member of the Dutchman's backroom staff at the Amsterdam Arena.

Jol is thought to be the front-runner for the manager's job at Craven Cottage, despite having a chance to compete in the Champions League after finishing second in the Eredivisie with Ajax last season.

Arnold Muhren, who was a youth coach under Jol last season, has revealed that the 54-year-old has been told he will have to sell some of his key players, such as Uruguay striker Luis Suarez, and World Cup finalists Maarten Stekelenburg, Gregory van der Wiel, before he can buy anyone.
And that could be enough to see the ex-Tottenham boss turn his back on the chance to compete for the Eredivisie title this season.

"I know Martin is unhappy at Ajax because he wants to buy some new players but because the club lost 21million euros last year, they won't let him," said Muhren.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:56 am

YOUTH PROSPECT AGREES TOFFEES DEAL

Everton teenager Luke Garbutt has signed a professional contract which will keep him at Goodison Park until 2013.
Garbutt, 17, has put pen to paper on a deal that supersedes the two-year academy scholarship he signed with the Toffees after joining from Leeds last summer.
The defender was part of England's Under-17 squad which won the European Championship in May.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby LPH » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:22 am

johntheclaret wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Well one Chelsea rival I know the starting point. That is Leeds and it would be the 1970 fa cup and replay that started that rivaly.

But there is a difference between "rivals" and teams you "just don't like" ID. Bunley fans just don't like Sheffield United. There's been a history going back 30 years, but they aren't rivals.

I doubt most Chelseaites would not see Leeds as their rival

Leeds ????

Fulham's No. 1 RIVAL is Chelski...
Many of our songs are about them;

1. Stick Your Blue Flag Up Your Ar**
2. We All P**s in a Blue & White Pot
3. We Hate Chelsea, We Hate Chelsea... etc.

Only ONE TUBE STOP between the grounds, Fulham Broadway & Putney Bridge.

Next Rival QPR, then Brentford
LPH
League - Best 21

Postby Il Duce » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:18 pm

Plenty of Chelsea fans hate leeds and every game against each since 1970 have been violent. LEH not being a prick but most Chelsea fans dont see Fulham as there rivals just as the people who are next door, Chelsea rivals would be Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham.
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  English Soccer