Liverpool Season 2010/11

EPL, FA Cup, Carling Cup, The Championship, etc

Liverpool Season 2010/11

Postby smithy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:28 am

I'll start this topic up with comments made from us lads in here nearly 12 months ago.
How ironic !

Constance_Perm wrote:
devilsadvocate wrote:
smithy wrote:
Constance_Perm wrote:Good work fella, they're the type of article I like to read :D

It was only interest on money owed as to why the bottom line looks bad, the club itself made a profit.
Man Utd and Arsenal owe much more money than us yet it never gets mentioned in the papers.

You got to wonder sometimes if certain journalists have agendas behind their allegiances.
The NOTW is 1 paper that I dont believe a word that is printed, only because it's the weekend version of the S*N, which for obvious reasons isn't read in the north west, but is also completely full of tripe when it comes to reporting on Liverpool "news".

While I agree with you on the Manure and Arse debt levels, they have the ability to fulfil their interest commitments and also re-finance when the debts become due. With all the in fighting between Hicks and Gillet, I can't see LFC having the ability to do the same unless they stop the handbags.

And while the club made a profit, if the parent entity is insolvent and has going concern issues, it's illegal for any part of the group to continue trading. That's the bit I'd be worried about.

Yeah that was always my understanding, that in the current climate H & G didn't have the capacity to gain re-financing ... I can't see DIC coming on board as a 3rd partner either, I'd suggest if they were to get involved they would want %100 control.

And I guess that's the thing that LFC fans can cling to. Dumb and dumber will realistically have to sell and they can do so at a reasonable market price soon, or in an administration fire sale not too far down the track. So the most likely outcome would have to be that H&G won't be screwing up the club for too much longer.

If DIC do buy the club, their patience will have been rewarded as they'll surely pay less now than previously.
smithy

Re: Liverpool Season 2010/11

Postby JK » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:32 am

Best possible scenario (which would include someone like DIC), as I see it, would be 4 steps backward 6 steps forward ... We're in a ****** position bud and are now relying on a charity lifeline, so bad are our books :(
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Il Duce » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:49 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... el-benitez

Liverpool expected to announce Rafael Benítez's Anfield exit today
Liverpool are expected to announce the departure of Rafael Benítez as manager today after making progress on the terms of his severance payoff.

Anfield officials have held further talks with the player's agent, Manuel García Quilón, since the board decided to offer Benítez £3m to leave the club with immediate effect yesterday.

The Liverpool manager was entitled to £16m if sacked this summer under the terms of the £4m-a-year contract he signed in March 2009 but, with the club struggling financially and unable to meet Benítez's demands for assurances over future spending, he has been offered a compromise deal.

The final payoff figure may rise above £3m but allow Benítez to take alternative employment without Liverpool demanding compensation. The reigning European champions, Internazionale, are interested in appointing the former Valencia coach as the successor to José Mourinho.

Liverpool have declined to comment on Benítez's situation but are expected to release a statement once his exit has been completed.
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby Il Duce » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:50 am

If I had looked properly I would of seen this

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... -liverpool

Rafael Benítez leaves Liverpool• Spaniard leaves Anfield 'by mutual consent' after six years
• Kenny Dalglish to assist with search for new manager
(24)Tweet this (13)John Ashdown guardian.co.uk, Thursday 3 June 2010 15.53 BST Article history
Rafael Benitez said he was 'very sad' to be leaving Liverpool. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images

Liverpool have confirmed the departure of their manager Rafael Benítez. The club released a statement this afternoon saying the Spaniard is to leave the club "by mutual consent".

Kenny Dalglish is to assist the Liverpool managing director, Christian Purslow, in the search for a replacement. Roy Hodgson, Martin O'Neill and Louis van Gaal are among the bookmakers early favourites for the post.

"It is very sad for me to announce that I will no longer be manager of Liverpool FC," Benítez said. "I would like to thank all of the staff and players for their efforts.

"I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Benítez joined the club from Valencia in 2004 and guided the side to the Champions League title in his first season in charge. The FA Cup followed in 2006, but he was unable to transform his side's cup form into Premier League success.

Despite regular top-four finishes, the closest Liverpool came to the title during his reign was in 2008-09, when they were runners-up to Manchester United. Last season Benítez's side missed out on the Champions League qualifying spots, finishing the season in seventh.

Despite those shortcomings in the league, Benítez is admired by the Internazionale president, Massimo Moratti, who is searching for a replacement for José Mourinho at San Siro.

Liverpool statement in full
Liverpool FC today confirmed that Rafael Benitez is to leave the club by mutual consent.

Mr Benitez relinquishes his position as team manager after six years and the Board of Directors would like to place on record their grateful thanks for his services and wish him all the best in his future career.

The Board has now asked Managing Director Christian Purslow, with the assistance of Club Ambassador Kenny Dalglish, to begin a formal search to identify and assess potential candidates for the managerial position.

No timescale has been placed on the process and Liverpool FC will make no further statement until a new manager is appointed.

LFC Chairman Martin Broughton said: "Rafa will forever be part of Liverpool folklore after bringing home the Champions League following the epic final in Istanbul but after a disappointing season both parties felt a fresh start would be best for all concerned.''

Rafael Benitez said: "It is very sad for me to announce that I will no longer be manager of Liverpool FC. I would like to thank all of the staff and players for their efforts.

"I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:30 am

Well, with Rafa gone and lots of rumors flying around about Gerrard going to Real and Torres also moving on, the Reds future isn't looking great.

It's a crying shame what's happened to the LFC.

At the moment, the favourites to take over (Full Time) are:

Martin O'Neil, Oswaldo De oliviero, Marcello Lippi, Roy Hodgson, Guus Hiddink and Jurgen Klinnsman.

Quite simply, the Seppos have to go asap. It's the only thing that will save the LFC.
Last edited by devilsadvocate on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Postby cossi11 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:31 am

Who will take charge of Liverpoo now, will Gerrard make an exit now? Benitez to Inter Milan maybe?? Torres in a Spurs or City shirt next season??
2020 AFL Premiers: Richmond 12.9.81 def Geelong 7.8.50
2019 AFL Premiers: Richmond 17.12.114 def Greater Western Sydney 3.7.25
2017 AFL Premiers: Adelaide 8.12.60 def by Richmond 16.12.108
2012 D5 Premiers: Brahma Lodge 24.15.159 def Hope Valley 7.13.55
cossi11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby cossi11 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:31 am

devilsadvocate wrote:Well, with Rafa gone and lots of rumors flying around about Gerrard going to Real and Torres also moving on, the Reds future isn't looking great.

It's a crying shame what's happened to the LFC.

At the moment, the favourites to take over (Full Time) are:

Martin O'Neil, Roy Hodgson, Guus Hiddink and Jurgen Klinnsman.

Quite simply, the Seppos have to go asap. It's the only thing that will save the LFC.

Did you know my post was coming DA?? :shock:
2020 AFL Premiers: Richmond 12.9.81 def Geelong 7.8.50
2019 AFL Premiers: Richmond 17.12.114 def Greater Western Sydney 3.7.25
2017 AFL Premiers: Adelaide 8.12.60 def by Richmond 16.12.108
2012 D5 Premiers: Brahma Lodge 24.15.159 def Hope Valley 7.13.55
cossi11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:32 am

cossi11 wrote:Did you know my post was coming DA?? :shock:

8)
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby smithy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:41 am

As part of the selection process, unless he's related to Ron Fuller, it's unlikely Kenny Dalglish will be taking over.

Watch the sale of our best players go to covering debt now. :twisted:

The yanks are lucky they don't live in the UK.
smithy

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:11 am

smithy wrote:Watch the sale of our best players go to covering debt now. :twisted:

That's a dangerous path to take though.

Sell Torres, Gerrard, Reina etc and watch the slide down the ladder. Sure in the short term it covers some interest, but without CL football, the club is worth a fraction of what their debt levels justify.

Potential buyers won't fork out a premium for a club without any world class players, when they know a huge investment will be required to turn things around.

So not only have the Yanks destroyed the club, they've also done a pretty damn good job of destroying their potential to make a return on the investment.

They need to sell now. No 2 ways about it.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:02 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:
smithy wrote:Watch the sale of our best players go to covering debt now. :twisted:

That's a dangerous path to take though.

Sell Torres, Gerrard, Reina etc and watch the slide down the ladder. Sure in the short term it covers some interest, but without CL football, the club is worth a fraction of what their debt levels justify.

Indeed, but these pricks wont care about that, just their pockets ... Moores and Parry probably still live in the UK Smithy
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby smithy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:54 pm

The Moores family owned the club for many years and loved the club.
He made a mistake by selling to the yanks but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
I reckon he could walk down the main street of Liverpool and feel safe (if that's possible :D )
smithy

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:40 am

Apparently Rafa collected a cool £12m for his troubles.

Funnily, Benitez going might be the the thing that keeps Gerard at Liverpool. By all accounts relations between Rafa and Gerard had become pretty strained, with Stevie G concerned over Rafa's management style, team selection and tactics.

Of course, if LFC need the money they might chose to try and off load both Torres and Gerard, but would that be a good move in terms of attracting both a manager and an investor.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:42 am

btw, Mark Hughes has also been mentioned in despatches, and frankly he wouldn't be a bad choice imo
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby smithy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:29 pm

johntheclaret wrote:btw, Mark Hughes has also been mentioned in despatches, and frankly he wouldn't be a bad choice imo

As long as he's fully decontaminated they might look at him. :)
smithy

Postby devilsadvocate » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:10 pm

johntheclaret wrote:btw, Mark Hughes has also been mentioned in despatches, and frankly he wouldn't be a bad choice imo

I agree. Looking at the options on a hourses for courses basis, sparky isn't a bad choice at all.

He generally gets the best out of his squads and has proven he can work with an almost non existent budget.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby JK » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:54 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:He generally gets the best out of his squads and has proven he can work with an almost non existent budget.

There's a fair chance he wouldn't get that much to work with at Liverpool ;)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:55 pm

Hicks scuppers two 'perfect fit' offers for Liverpool - Exclusive

Published 23:00 07/06/10 By David Maddock

Tom Hicks has allegedly scuppered at least two 'perfect fit' offers for Liverpool, because of his unreasonable asking price.

Sources at Barclays Capital, who have been charged with selling the Anfield club, have revealed their private frustration at the American owner's unyielding stance in negotiations.

An insider revealed to the Mirror that they have found "exciting investors" they believe have the money and standing to buy the club and take them forward, despite the massive debts run up by Hicks and Gillett. One of the offers has come from the Middle East, and another is a consortium led by a prominent American businessman.

But, so far, the staggering valuation of almost £800million placed on Liverpool by their Texan co-owner has proved an insurmountable stumbling block, because potential buyers are refusing to pay his price.

A source working on the sale of the Merseyside club for BarCap revealed privately: "We have found more than one really good fit investors, who have the wealth not to worry about a few hundred million quid.

"But they will not be held to ransom, because they know the asking price is unreasonable, and they simply don't want to be taken for a ride, no matter how rich they are."

There is a growing fear amongst those close to the deal that Hicks' business empire has been suffering in the global economic crisis, and that is motivating his hard-line stance over a price.

But it is claimed that BarCap are losing patience with the valuation, even though they accept that the sales document put together by the club makes impressive reading.

A source for the investment firm suggested that the figures 'add up', even before a new stadium is being built, but that has persuaded Hicks to hold out for more money.

His partner, George Gillett, is willing to accept a more reasonable offer to enable him to get out of the club, and escape the angry campaign against them from disenchanted supporters.

Hicks though, remains the massive obstacle to the deal, and that could persuade the club's lenders the Royal Bank of Scotland, to step in and take action.

The RBS have given an undertaking to extend their current loan of £237million to the Americans for another 12 months.

But worried by reports from BarCap about the difficulty in finding the right price to tempt a buyer, the bank are considering making an ultimatum to Hicks and Gillett.

The RBS are increasingly frustrated at the process, and sources close to the deal are suggesting there is a chance they will offer the Americans an ultimatum of finding a buyer "within months", or they will pull the plug on the loans.

source: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Li ... 52141.html
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:30 pm

You can thank Man Citeh and Chelski for that CP!

RBS is far from blameless either. But I suspect that they know that if they did pull the pin on the loans and put the club into administration, they'd lose a chunk of their 272m.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby smithy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:34 pm

A few reports are suggesting King Kenny has excluded himself from the selection process for the next manager, sparking rumours he's putting his own hat into the ring.

His appointment could be the only thing that stops a civil war.
smithy

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  English Soccer