Liverpool Season 2011/12

EPL, FA Cup, Carling Cup, The Championship, etc

Liverpool Season 2011/12

Postby smithy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:33 pm

Liverpool are leading the chase to sign AC Milan striker Antonio Cassano.
Cassano, 28, could be set for a big money move to Anfield as Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish is determined to add more firepower to his squad and make them genuine contenders for the title next season.
The Italian striker could struggle to command a regular first-team place at the San Siro next season as he battles with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Alexandre Pato and Robinho to secure a starting place.
Fiorentina have also been linked with Cassano but reports in Italy suggest that Liverpool are now the strong favourites to clinch his signature.
Sources close to the player say he is ready to start a new chapter in his career by moving to England, having played in both Spain and Italy.
The two clubs are set to hold a meeting next week over a possible move and Liverpool hope a deal can be finalised for the talented forward.
smithy

Re: Liverpool Season 2011/12

Postby smithy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:38 pm

Italian giants Inter Milan are rumoured to be lining up a bid for Reds midfielder Raul Meireles.

The 28-year-old enjoyed a successful first season at Anfield, including a particularly purple patch shortly after Kenny Dalglish's arrival in January, scoring five goals in 33 appearances during the campaign.

Liverpool have already added Jordan Henderson to their midfield armoury for 2011/12 and, with a further acquisition in the shape of Charlie Adam being mooted, Inter may test the Reds' resolve to hold on to the ex-Porto man with a £14m bid, according to Talksport.
smithy

Postby smithy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:39 pm

Reds to keep 'close eye' on striker

Liverpool are to continue to keep a close eye on Ayr United youngster Mark Shankland after the player signed a new two-year deal with the Scottish club.

The 15-year-old had been also been interesting Celtic and Rangers, and became the youngest player in Ayr's last season, but he has decided to continue his development in Scotland for now.

Ayr chairman Lachlan Cameron said, "Mark has a bright future ahead of him and we believe that to leave to play in England or the Old Firm at this stage of his career would be the wrong move for him or any of our youngsters.

"Mark was invited to attend the Liverpool Academy recently for a week’s training.

"He played in a couple of trial matches and scored twice against Sheffield United and Liverpool have indicated that they will keep a close eye on Mark while he continues his development here.”
smithy

Postby smithy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:40 pm

Swedish teen eyed

Liverpool and Arsenal are tipped to do battle to secure the signature of highly-rated left-back Alexander Milosevic.

The 19-year-old is also thought to be on Tottenham and Aston Villa's transfer radar.

The player's agent Nenad Lukic confirmed that there is interest from English clubs, without actually going into specifics.

"I know that there are English clubs that are interested but we haven't heard anything concrete", he said.

"We respect AIK (Solna) too. They were courageous enough to give a young player the chance to play in the starting eleven."
smithy

Postby smithy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Maxi could return to Argentina

Maxi Rodriguez's sensational end-of-season run may have been his last act in a Red shirt as he is being linked with a return home to Argentina.

The 30-year-old has confirmed he has received an approach from Newell's Old Boys, where the came through the ranks as a youngster, saying, "When I left here, I knew I was coming back.

"The president [Guillermo Lorente] called me and I said yes.

"Now it depends on the contract I have in Liverpool, maybe that can be loosened a little."
smithy

Postby JK » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:43 am

smithy wrote:Italian giants Inter Milan are rumoured to be lining up a bid for Reds midfielder Raul Meireles.

The 28-year-old enjoyed a successful first season at Anfield, including a particularly purple patch shortly after Kenny Dalglish's arrival in January, scoring five goals in 33 appearances during the campaign.

Liverpool have already added Jordan Henderson to their midfield armoury for 2011/12 and, with a further acquisition in the shape of Charlie Adam being mooted, Inter may test the Reds' resolve to hold on to the ex-Porto man with a £14m bid, according to Talksport.

I'd sell him .. As a genuine midfielder i dont actually think he's that good
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby smithy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:08 pm

Sylvain Marveaux is set to be confirmed as Liverpool's second summer signing after completing a medical on Merseyside yesterday.

The French U-21 international (25) will move to Anfield on a free transfer from Rennes, but will not be officially presented as a Liverpool player until July 1.

Liverpool had first identified Marveaux as a potential target before Kenny Dalglish was appointed as Roy Hodgson's replacement and his signature represents the culmination of six months' work for director of football Damien Comolli.

Marveaux missed much of last season with a groin injury but that has done little to dampen Comolli's desire to sign the left-sided midfielder. Marveaux can expect to compete for a regular starting place with Aston Villa's Stewart Downing, who remains a target for Dalglish.

Liverpool will now turn their attention to sealing deals for Downing, Charlie Adam, Connor Wickham and a central defender, as well as a reserve goalkeeper. Roma's Brazilian goalkeeper Doni has refused the chance to move to Anfield.

The club's fans, meanwhile, have reacted furiously to the release of Liverpool's third kit for the forthcoming season -- a white number trimmed with blue -- the colour worn by city rivals Everton. (© Daily Telegraph, London)
smithy

Postby JK » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:00 pm

Like the sound of this - They sound like good operators and I have a lot of faith in them ..

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 92,00.html
FUSC
JK
Coach

Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby smithy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:02 am

Liverpool have been joined in the race to sign Barcelona winger Jeffren by Spanish side Sevilla after the Catalan giants revealed that the midfielder was surplus to requirements at the Camp Nou.

The attacking midfielder’s profile was raised after he helped the Spanish Under-21 side win the European Championships with his impressive displays drawing interest from a number of clubs.

The Venezuelan-born midfielder has struggled to break into the Barcelona first team and realises that there are a number of players ahead of him in the pecking order such as Pedro, Lionel Messi, Xavi and Andreas Iniesta.

With Barcelona also trying to sign Udinese winger Alexis Sanchez the club are desperate to get rid of some of their fringe players and could accept a relatively low offer for the attacking midfielder.

Jeffren would be a cheaper option for Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish as it is believed that the 23-year-old would only cost in the region of €4m.

Several sources appear to believe that Liverpool may be willing to make a move for Barcelona winger Jeffren as a more cost effective alternative to Stewart Downing or Juan Mata, with both Aston Villa and Valencia wanting around £20m for their wingers.

Clearly Jeffren has less experience but could prove to have more sell on value if the Venezuelan born Spanish Under 21 international fulfills his undoubted potential. Barcelona are after a quick sale and this source believes that means Pep Guardiola could accept as little as £3.5m for the youngster.

Though far from being a first team regular at the Nou Camp, Jeffren has found himself becoming more of a regular presence in Guardiola’s plans of late, making 31 apperances over the past two seasons across all competitions.

The speedy winger also fits the criteria of Liverpool’s new owners who are willing to invest in youthful additions hence their forking out of funds to sign Luis Suarez, Andy Carroll and Jordan Henderson, all 23 years or age or under.
smithy

Postby smithy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Mark Lawrenson believes Liverpool may have pulled off "the sale of the century" by persuading Chelsea to pay £50m for Fernando Torres - and is backing his replacement Luis Suarez to put them back in the Champions League places this season.

Kenny Dalglish paid £22.7m to sign Suarez from Ajax with the cash raked in from Torres' departure to Stamford Bridge and has now spent more than £100m revamping Liverpool's squad in readiness for the new campaign.

Suarez illuminated Anfield while Torres struggled and Lawrenson told BBC Sport the two deals could be the key to putting Liverpool back in the top four.

He said: "I do feel the sale of Torres may turn out to be the sale of the century. I just feel there is something about Torres in his body language and his make up. He has always been the main man at the clubs he's been at and I look at him and he's not the same player.

"The sale has allowed Liverpool to replace him and rebuild and the American owners have brought more players in as a statement of intent that the club is heading in the right direction again. When the fax came through to say Torres had gone and it was £50m, I would be surprised if Liverpool didn't have a party."

Suarez came at less than half the price - but Lawrenson believes the exciting Uruguayan striker has the potential to have a similar impact on the Premier League as Cristiano Ronaldo did at Manchester United.

He said: "Suarez is the big one for me. Lots of people have arrived at Liverpool and people have said they remind me of Dalglish - and they never were because he was so special, but Suarez might just be the closest.

"He's got all the ability in the world and a real mean streak. He is a top player. I think he might be a bit like Cristiano Ronaldo at Manchester United. He could just take off and in a couple of years' time you might be talking about a £60m player.

"Kenny's eyes light up when he talks about him. He's got that little bit of everything and when you see goals like he scored at Sunderland last season you ask yourself 'how's he done that?', which was another trait Dalglish had.

"He's got great ability. He is very aware of everything, a real team player a handful to play against and like all South Americans can really look after himself. Players like Diego Maradona and Carlos Tevez found themselves getting booted on a regular basis but were tough and could give it back. Suarez is the same."

Andy Carroll arrived at the same time as Suarez, while Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Stewart Dowing have also been acquired as Liverpool's new owners the Fenway Sports Group back Dalglish heavily in the transfer market.

And Lawrenson believes they can now threaten Arsenal's place in the top four next season, saying: "I think they have got a chance of the top four because of the players they have signed.

I'm not sure about Arsenal with all the uncertainty over Samir Nasri, Cesc Fabregas. They still haven't addressed the problems people have been telling them to address for years, such as in central defence.

"I think the top three might be beyond Liverpool, but I certainly think what they've done so far this summer can put them in contention for the Champions League places again."
smithy

Postby smithy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish is ready to trim his squad even further after two more defenders appear on the verge of leaving Anfield in the coming weeks.

The Reds have already let Paul Koncheskey leave to join Leicester and now they are preparing to let two more full-backs leave the club in Emiliano Insua and Chris Mavinga.

Insua, an Argentina international, was on loan at Galatasaray last season and has impressed a number of clubs with both Fiorentina and Juventus said to be interested in the defender.

However, it is fellow Serie A side AS Roma that are the favourites to land the 22-year-old after Insua's agent revealed that he had been in discussions with the Italian side.

“I spoke to Sabatini about him, but at the moment there are no particular developments,” admitted agent Rodrigo Vilarino. “Emiliano has returned to Liverpool after the loan spell at Galatasaray. Now we have to see if he is in the English club’s plans.”

It is highly unlikely that Insua will feature in the plans of Dalglish who is pursuing Newcastle left-back Jose Enrique. The Reds have also been impressed with the form of youngster Jack Robinson who successfully played on the left a number of times last season.

Fellow left-back Mavinga has now completed his move away from Anfield, joining French side Rennes on a four year deal.

Mavinga revealed that he felt he needed to leave Liverpool in order to gain more first team experience and a crucial stage in his career.

"Indeed, I will be at Rennes early this week. I have been in contact with the club since mid-June and I now need to have medical examinations and sign a contract," revealed Mavinga.

"Why don't I try and make a name for myself at Liverpool? Firstly, I only have one year remaining on my contract at Liverpool. Secondly, because I am 20 years old, I want to become established at a club. I don't want to play one season and then leave.

"I am now going to take in my fourth club and it is the right time for me to start planning long-term.

"I learnt a lot at Liverpool, most notably about attitude. There I understood that you have to be 100 per cent in matches and in training sessions.

"I don't regret any choices I have made in my career so far. I hope things will continue to progress at Rennes."

It is believed that the Ligue 1 side will pay in the region of €1million for the 20-year-old.
smithy

Postby smithy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:03 pm

MIKE MARSH is relishing his new role as Liverpool Under-18s coach as he bids to help ensure the conveyor belt of talent at the Kirkby Academy continues to roll.

The former Reds midfielder has worked his way up the ranks at the Academy since he returned to the club in 2008.

Changes to the coaching set-up in May saw Rodolfo Borrell appointed reserve team boss and Marsh moved up to replace him at under-18 level after working with the under-16s.

It was reward for his efforts over the past three years and he’s excited about helping to develop the Reds’ future stars.

“I’m honoured to be offered the position,” Marsh said.

“It’s a job that I didn’t anticipate taking on this early but it’s one I can’t wait to get stuck into.

“I came here from Preston where I started out coaching the under-14s. I was with Steve Cooper looking after the under-16s and took on that sole responsibility when Coops helped out with the reserves towards the end of last season.

“I must have done okay because they’ve given me another fantastic opportunity now. I will give it my all to be successful.

“There have been a few changes in personnel over the past few years as they look to get the right people in the right jobs.

“I think you can see there is some real talent here and both players and staff are being rewarded for the tremendous amount of hard work that they are putting in.”

Last season saw Academy duo John Flanagan and Jack Robinson make the step up the first team, while fellow youngsters Andre Wisdom and Conor Coady also caught the eye on the Reds’ pre-season tour of the Far East.

Marsh believes there are plenty of others ready to follow in their footsteps.

“The way all of those lads conduct themselves is superb and they don’t look out of place (with the first team),” he added. “They’ve all looked composed when they have been called upon to play and they are giving themselves the best chance possible.

“There are a few lads that have made the step up with me and I think followers of youth football at all age groups will already know that we have some good players coming through.

“I’ve also coached the second year scholars as they were the under-16s when I first joined so that has given me a nice head start.”

Marsh’s reign has started brightly with 14 goals plundered in two friendlies so far with the coach fully committed to the pass and move philosophy installed by the likes of Academy director Frank McParland and technical director Pep Segura.

“We’ve got a way of playing that Pep introduced when he first arrived here,” Marsh said.

“We all work to it and I’m a great believer in it. Hopefully we will continue to get success from it.

“It’s exciting times and we are all looking forward to the new season.

“I’m under no illusions though. This is Liverpool Football Club and you are expected to get results.
smithy

Postby smithy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:10 pm

Liverpool are close to reaching a successful conclusion to negotiations with Mexican rising star Marco Bueno, according to teenager's current club, Pachuca.

Reports are suggesting that Anfield boss Kenny Dalglish has invited the Under-17 World Cup winner to England for a 10-day trial.

If Bueno, who has been compared to Manchester United's Javier Hernandez, impresses during his time with Liverpool, the Premier League club is said to be ready to offer a five-year contract.

And Pachuca claims that Liverpool is determined to complete the deal this summer.

Pachuca vice-president Andres Fassi is quoted as saying: "We are conducting negotiations with Liverpool and possibly, on August 1, Marco Bueno will pay a visit to Liverpool.

"We have already practically closed negotiations with them. They want to buy 100 per cent of the rights
smithy

Postby Bully » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:01 am

Gerrard out until mid september with an infection due to groin inury.

massive blow for LFC before the start of new season
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby smithy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:58 am

Bully wrote:Gerrard out until mid september with an infection due to groin inury.

massive blow for LFC before the start of new season

Of all the players in the EPL to get an injury like that I would've thought it would be Giggs.
smithy

Postby smithy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:44 am

Liverpool new signings at news conference.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14395594.stm
smithy

Postby Il Duce » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:48 pm

talk out of scouse land
Attachments
9343927.jpg
9343927.jpg (89.56 KiB) Viewed 656 times
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby overloaded » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:49 am

Just got beaten by Fulham 1-0
therealROSSCO wrote:Now listen to this loud and clear.....

I have not been approached to coach at the WFC this year, next year or any year. I have not approached the WFC to coach this year, next year or any year. This is an unconditional statement.
overloaded
2009 Punting Comp Winner

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby JK » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:01 am

overloaded wrote:Just got beaten by Fulham 1-0

Was worried about this one, and rightly so
FUSC
JK
Coach