AFC Wimbledon

EPL, FA Cup, Carling Cup, The Championship, etc

AFC Wimbledon

Postby Fluffbag » Tue May 31, 2016 5:09 pm

This is a great story of a group of supporters who lost their team to Milton Keynes, created their own and now in the third highest division in English Football after winning 2-0 yesterday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36390234

Go you, Wombles!
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Re: AFC Wimbledon

Postby Jim05 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:20 pm

Yep, have been following their progress and it's amazing to jump 6 divisions in 14 years. Wimbledon v MK Dons next season promises to be a belter. Just a real pity the new club havnt got any of the old records or memorabilia
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Fluffbag » Tue May 31, 2016 10:26 pm

If they can finish higher than Franchise FC next year then that would be great, especially if AFC Wimbledon went up and/or FFC went down.

Hopefully it also helps them to get their new stadium approved.
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:03 pm

Jim05 wrote:Yep, have been following their progress and it's amazing to jump 6 divisions in 14 years. Wimbledon v MK Dons next season promises to be a belter. Just a real pity the new club havnt got any of the old records or memorabilia

Haven't they been asking for the FA Cup to be returned, or rather the replica the original Wimbledon was presented with.

I think they might have even approached the FA about it.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:05 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Yep, have been following their progress and it's amazing to jump 6 divisions in 14 years. Wimbledon v MK Dons next season promises to be a belter. Just a real pity the new club havnt got any of the old records or memorabilia

Haven't they been asking for the FA Cup to be returned

I believe so.
As MKD now have taken on all their records and history I think it will get messy and probably end up in court
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:18 pm

The truth is they are no more the original Wimbledon than Accrington is the original Stanley or Chester is the original Chester.
I'm not sure but I'd argue that MK Dons are still the original Wimbledon. Just a new location and a name change.

Anyhow, good luck to them, wanting to revive the name and doing it successfully.

Bastards were the 1st non league side to beat a 1st Division side in the FA Cup when they came to Turf Moor in the early/mid 70's and won by a single goal. A shitty up and under effort. I was there that day and couldn't believe what had happened, as it was in a time when the FA Cup actually mattered and all clubs played their best sides and none of this disrespectful 10 changes crap we have today.

The only thing I'd say about them was they were a dirty undisciplined side that played a real crappy style of football which was probably one of the reasons for their success as team just didn't like playing against them. The nearest analogy I could draw now is comparing them to the Stoke City team under Pulis.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby whufc » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:00 pm

Have to agree unfortunately the MK Dons are the original Wimbledon with a location and name change.

On ugly successful styles I reckon Leicester go underrated in that discussion, their back four this season were absolute thugs and could have, should have been sent off many occasions.

Good luck to them though as they made it work
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby maxi » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:36 pm

An American author whos name escapes me is making a movie about the Dons rise.
maxi
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  English Soccer