Is EPL now the top soccer league in the world

EPL, FA Cup, Carling Cup, The Championship, etc

Is EPL now the top soccer league in the world

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:45 am

Listened to an interesting dicussion this morning after 3 EPL sides qualify for the semi finals of the Champions League. One point being made was, that the top three or four are streets ahead of the rest of the leaguewith only Man U, Chelski and maybe arsenal or Liverpool having a realistic chance of winning the title. The overall strength in depth of the league was questioned and the performance of ELP clubs in the mnore European competitions was cited.

This was backed up by the fact that Spain was likely to field 3 clubs in the UEFA cup semi's (should Savilla progress against Spurs). This gave a strong arguement that Spain still ruled the roost in European football with world class sides such as Barca and Galactico, and greater depth in Valencia, Deportivo, Sevilla, etc.

That to suggest EPL was the top league in the world was to me somewhat presumptuous, considering there is little team competitions between Europe and the South American sides. The last time was a couple of years ago when Man U played in a World Clubs comp and got their ar5es kicked.

Would be interesting to hear any thoughts
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Il Duce » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:02 am

Although I think the EPL is the most entertaning league in the world I still think Spain have the better League when it comes to technical skill. I am not saying the English league isn't technical I am Just saying the Spanish are better ball controllers and have flair. However if you look at the two competitions this year with 3 English clubs being in the Champion's League and 3 Spanish sides being in the Uefa cup, i would say just the 3 English teams are better, not the leagues
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:36 am

Tend to agree with you WSC. The only issue I would have is the style of play. Like you say EPL is more interesting IMO, whereas the Spanish, Italian Greek Portuguese sides like to kill the game when they get in front, and use any tactics they can. This style may well get a 1 - 0 win and progression to the next round, but does little as an entertainment sprctacle for the fans.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:53 am

No, never has been and never will but similar to the AFL in Australia its amazing what a bit of publicity will do.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby smithy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:43 am

I would post the whole story here from Paul Wilson but it's tooooo long but very relevant to this thread and quite a good read.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/ ... _euro.html

Smithy
smithy

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  English Soccer