Locking threads when they reach a certain post count

Questions about the site? Ideas how to improve SAFooty? Let us know here!

Locking threads when they reach a certain post count

Postby Hondo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:59 am

On other forums I have seen a system that works well where threads are locked when they reach a certain post or page length and then a "part 2" started.

It makes it easier to navigate the shorter threads and cleans up the topic for the current interested posters only because it stops turning up on your list of topics you have previously posted on.

Just an idea.

For feedback, I suggested a while back that some contentious threads used to be let run far too long acting as a magnet for the trolls once the sensible posters had all had their say however that seems to have gotten a lot better of late so kudos to the mods. Not sure what you did but something has changed. Also kudos to GWW for his work on the AFL Board. Well done mate.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Locking threads when they reach a certain post count

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:48 pm

Thanks for your suggestion mate, Ive been part of a lot of online communities that do this too but never saw the point of it and it only seemed to annoy posters. I'm probably more a fan of letting threads evolve naturally and would be loathe to chang e a system we've had in place for over 5 years but we'll weigh up the pros and cons of it.
I agree with your point about magnets for trolls and think that mods have done a pretty good job of this and lime you I have noticed it to, they're encouraged to treat these sort of things on a case by case issue ans are doing it well.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Locking threads when they reach a certain post count

Postby Media Park » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:59 pm

Is THAT why we had to start a version 2 of the EP Sport thread? :D
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Boston

Board index   General Talk  Announcements, Feedback, Suggestions, etc