Movies forum ?

Questions about the site? Ideas how to improve SAFooty? Let us know here!

Movies forum ?

Postby Hondo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:02 pm

Some of us movie buffs who use the "good movies" / "bad movies" threads are wondering if we could have a whole board just for movies. The way the threads are used as part of the "Entertainment" board is a bit limiting for those of us that wish to bang on about movies, movie history, actors, etc.

We'd set up one thread per movie and get other discussions up in designated threads.

We have a consensus of about 5 currently in the "Good movies" thread so if anybody wishes to add to this rush of support feel free to post in here.

Then we'll leave it with Admin to decide.

The last new board I suggested was the Fantasy Football board and it now goes gang busters!
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Movies forum ?

Postby Q. » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:13 pm

Why can't you start these topics in the existing Entertainment forum?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Hondo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Quichey, I hadn't thought of that idea really. I guess we could.

It's whether it becomes OTT to have a one thread devoted to a single movie, director or actor in amongst all the other threads and whether they would get lost in there.

The two theads (good and bad movies) sort of monopolise all movies discussion. If I want to see what other posters thought of say "Shutter Island" I have got to scroll back through pages and pages of the one long thread and then connect comments that sit among all the other movie comments.

It probably wouldn't get off the ground as well as it could if it had a clean, new forum but maybe I am over-estimating the extent of movie buff-ness on here.
Hondo
Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:31 pm

There are individual threads about TV shows, I don't see any reason why you can't do the same with movies. I barely post in the Good Movies/Bad Movies topics because the discussion is fragmented (and I hardly get time to go to the moofies :oops: ).

Anyway, I'm not Admin, they might have different ideas so I'll pipe down.
Q.
Coach

Postby Il Duce » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:56 pm

I actually quiet like the idea, the could do something similar to the soccer forum, just instead of Australian soccer, English soccer and general the could have Movies, TV and General entertainment, it also does organize things better.

i.e. viewforum.php?f=4
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby Wedgie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:28 am

I agree with Quichey. As the only 2 things discussed in the Entertainment Forum are movies and tv shows and the fact movies are shown on tv and the forum isn't overrun with traffic it seems pointless to split it up. Feel free to start individual threads about movies now and if it gets out of hand we can look at splitting it up then?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2052 times
Been liked: 3899 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Ian » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:51 am

Wedgie wrote:I agree with Quichey. As the only 2 things discussed in the Entertainment Forum are movies and tv shows and the fact movies are shown on tv and the forum isn't overrun with traffic it seems pointless to split it up. Feel free to start individual threads about movies now and if it gets out of hand we can look at splitting it up then?

That makes the most sense
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Hondo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:30 am

I reckon if the banner of "Entertainment" was left as is but with 3 sub forums created (TV, Movies and Other) they would build up into 3 much better boards.

The forum has evolved in a certain way, rightly or wrongly. For some reason TV shows tend to get individual threads but the movies discussion happens in the 2 big general threads. The 2 movies threads have 2000 replies between them and the good movies thread is now up to 77 pages. The worst movies thread now has 28 pages. The DVD watching general thread is mostly about TV shows I think and it is now at 28 pages.

It's a forum with a small number of big threads. The topics not related to movies and TV shows that are discussed in the forum are youtube, books, stage shows (minor discussion) and the jokes thread lives in there for some reason, don't know why. I am not sure that individual movie threads would work well in the forum as it currently works but perhaps I should trial some.
Hondo
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:37 am

It's become habitual and convenient for people to post short posts in the Good Movies/Bad Movies topics. I'm sure if you and others broke that habit by having individual topics, then others will follow suit.
Q.
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:20 am

I reckon Wedgie and Quichey are right Hondo ... As much as I personally would love a dedicated movies forum, I think until it can be established that the demand and popularity would exist for it, it's not worth it's own sub-forum.

Give the individual movie topics a trial as you've suggested, and if it takes off then it might then provide the basis for a dedicated forum of sorts.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4462 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:40 am

Matt Damon
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach