NFL Super Bowl

Any other sports

Re: NFL Super Bowl

Postby mighty hounds » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:16 pm

OnSong wrote:Can someone explain to me if a team punts, can they not catch the punt?

It's quite impossible to do that. If the punting team touches the punt the opposition takes the possession from the touch.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby OnSong » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:18 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
OnSong wrote:Can someone explain to me if a team punts, can they not catch the punt?

It's quite impossible to do that. If the punting team touches the punt the opposition takes the possession from the touch.

It would be a better game if they could.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 551 times

Postby Strawb » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:20 pm

OnSong wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:

It would be a better game if they could.

They can only take possession of the ball if the receiving team touches the ball. Other than that once one of the Punting team touches the ball the ball is considered dead.
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby OnSong » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Yeah, ok, I just wondered why they weren't having a crack at catching it.

There you go.

Still, would be better if they could. Not enough punting in the game IMO.

Make a rule you can catch the punt but it must carry 40 or 50 yards. Then watch them fly into each other.
OnSong
Coach

Postby Strawb » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:25 pm

OnSong wrote:Yeah, ok, I just wondered why they weren't having a crack at catching it.

There you go.

Make a rule you can catch the punt but it must carry 40 or 50 yards. Then watch them fly into each other.

It would but that will not happen. The receiver can call for a fair catch where he cannot be touched. I have the college rule book somewhere and they are slightly different from the NFL rules. But alot of the rules are the same.
Strawb
Coach

Postby Hellboy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:29 pm

HH3 wrote:

Theres the drop...and i wouldnt want to have to be the one catching that. I cant find the Hernandez one anywhere, but it was on his chest when he was wide open and just dropped it.

That was not easy, but Manningham took a harder one. As I said before, Giants took their opportunities.
The Hernandez one was a shocker. He took his eyes off the ball
Hellboy
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

Postby HH3 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:32 pm

OnSong wrote:
HH3 wrote:Theres the drop...and i wouldnt want to have to be the one catching that. I cant find the Hernandez one anywhere, but it was on his chest when he was wide open and just dropped it.

I think that looks fairly regulation to be honest. Not a great deal of tackling pressure, got two hands to it. A pro footballer should be catching that. The throw was pretty much on the money.

I reckon running flat out, spinning, jumping and catching like that wouldnt be as straight forward as it seems. The throw should have been a bit deeper to account for how fast he was running. Shoulda dropped it right over his left shoulder.
Last edited by HH3 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:33 pm

Strawb wrote:
OnSong wrote:
Strawb wrote:http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201202/tom-bradys-wife-blames-patriots-teammates
This makes me laugh more.

See the last comment on this story? :shock: :shock:

PS: She's right IMO, two crucial drops.

I often wonder if the ball is as hard to catch as some of these guys make it look.

It is hard to catch depending on how hard it is thrown. It is not one of the easiest things to catch at times. Also some people have problems handling the clutch of pressure.

We are more forgiving in Aussie Rules than in Gridiron or the Rugbies, often a spilled ball is paid as a mark, or we forgive dropped balls as being hard to take, but the good thing about Aussie Rules is the play continues after a spill, and this adds to the spectical IMO as players can take mroe chances with the ball.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby OnSong » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:39 pm

HH3 wrote:
OnSong wrote:
HH3 wrote:Theres the drop...and i wouldnt want to have to be the one catching that. I cant find the Hernandez one anywhere, but it was on his chest when he was wide open and just dropped it.

I think that looks fairly regulation to be honest. Not a great deal of tackling pressure, got two hands to it. A pro footballer should be catching that. The throw was pretty much on the money.

I reckon running flat out, spinning, jumping and catching like that wouldnt be as straight forward as it seems. The throw should have been a bit deeper to account for how fast he was running. Shoulda dropped it right over his left shoulder.

The commentator said he would catch that 100 out of 100 times. If that doesn't describe "regulation", what does?
OnSong
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:39 pm

Strawb wrote:
OnSong wrote:Yeah, ok, I just wondered why they weren't having a crack at catching it.

There you go.

It would but that will not happen. The receiver can call for a fair catch where he cannot be touched. I have the college rule book somewhere and they are slightly different from the NFL rules. But alot of the rules are the same.

Didn't they change that rule about blokes smashing into each other like that only 3 years ago. After watching so much NFL I personally wouldn't like the game to turn into a punt fest. Working the ball up and making throws and awesome catches is what makes the game exciting and gets everyone off their feet/seats.ass'. I dont know how punting will make it more exciting? You would have to chnage all the rules and that.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby Strawb » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:43 pm

On Song commentator's are morons in the game they will say what they think people will want them to say. Problem is half the time they are trying to make the player look good.

mighty hounds wrote:
Strawb wrote:

There you go.

Didn't they change that rule about blokes smashing into each other like that only 3 years ago. After watching so much NFL I personally wouldn't like the game to turn into a punt fest. Working the ball up and making throws and awesome catches is what makes the game exciting and gets everyone off their feet/seats.ass'. I dont know how punting will make it more exciting? You would have to chnage all the rules and that.

I forgot how long ago it was but it is designed to protect the receiver because some guys are sprinting as hard as they can and will Hammer into him cause alot of Injuries.
Strawb
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:46 pm

Strawb wrote:On Song commentator's are morons in the game they will say what they think people will want them to say. Problem is half the time they are trying to make the player look good.

mighty hounds wrote:
Strawb wrote:

There you go.

I forgot how long ago it was but it is designed to protect the receiver because some guys are sprinting as hard as they can and will Hammer into him cause alot of Injuries.

I reckon it was prior to 2009 season.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby Strawb » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:48 pm

I think it was before then but I have been watching more College than NFL I knew it was a College rule for ages. I will look into it and have an answer later on
Strawb
Coach

Postby Strawb » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Strawb wrote:I think it was before then but I have been watching more College than NFL I knew it was a College rule for ages. I will look into it and have an answer later on

The fair catch has always been in the NFL since it started. College football removed it in 1950 but brought it back in 1951. Canadian and XFL removed the rule to make the game more exciting.
Strawb
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:34 pm

So in those leagues the play continues regardless Strawb, like in Rubgy league does from the kick-off?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:38 pm

HH3 wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
HH3 wrote:Yeah, if the Pats didnt allow the TD, the Giants would of wound the clock down to 0.02 and kicked the field goal from point plank. At least giving up the TD gave them another shot with the ball to win the game.

Thanks HH. Haven't seen the game yet, and don't understand everything about it either, but it seems an extraordinary gamble to take, almost "anti-sport". Would the field goal have been so easy the bloke wouldn't have felt any pressure? What other options would have the Pats considered that could have lead to NY losing the ball?

The Giants really did have them by the balls. They could have ran the clock down and had a field goal attempt from about 10 yards out...which is hard to miss. Woulda put the Giants a point up with probably 20 seconds maybe for the Pats to go for broke. If they did that, the Pats woulda had 20 seconds at best to get 40-50 yards, then convert a long distance FG. (This is without having any timeouts) So pretty much impossible.

Letting the Giants have the TD with nearly a minute left meant the Pats at least got a little bit of time to get a TD. And they really did utilise the time well. I think they had something like 8 or 9 plays in that minute.

Also the Giants could have won the game with about 20-25 seconds on the clock when the Pats were 4th and 13, but Brady made the pass and kept the game alive.

PS In the press conferences leading up to the game, Brady said if it came down to the last drive, he would rather be DOWN and HAVE the ball, than be UP and NOT have the ball. He got his wish and didnt make the most of it.

Thanks again HH. Reckon I would have understood that if I had been watching it. Still doesn't quite sit right that you give up a major score to improve your chances off winning, but like all sports, there had probably been mistakes that earlier in the game that lead to the score and situation.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Strawb » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:37 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:So in those leagues the play continues regardless Strawb, like in Rubgy league does from the kick-off?

Yes it does in Gridiron you can run when you receive the ball or call for the fair catch and then start the movement down the Field with Offence.
Strawb
Coach

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports