FISHING

Any other sports

Re: FISHING

Postby auto » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:08 pm

Mickyj wrote:
silicone skyline wrote:I've got a question for ya Micky.

What is the strangest thing you have reeled in, be it a fish or not...

Since I started fly fishing about three years ago lets see .
A middle aged (or older) woman in a skull boat refused to stop as I was yelling at her .
So she caught me she was all upset and I said just let me untangle and she'll be apples .But she was still upset and I said you had to stop anyway"why" and I said your heading straight for a concrete pontoon. They shoudn't let women drive backwards on water :shock: ;) sorry Jas.
Almost caught a women in the eye who was walking her dog .She was walking then stopped I started to cast and she was right behind me.
My straw cowboy hat blew off in a 30/35 knot wind took me about 10 minutes to hook and land :shock: :lol:
Back when I was really just starting fishing (I've forgotten so much) I must have been about 18.Me and a mate went off the breakwater at Victor .One of the first times I used a whole pilchard bloody big albatross (I think) swooped down and took it out the water .so fast I couldn't do anything.You could see the line get tight in the air and then ping the bird flew backwards and then went straight on.Not what you really want to happen!!
Was with the same mate on the Outer Harbour Break Water when he hooked and landed a keeper net complete with trumpeters inside.
Not caught but
I had a few run ins with Brown snakes along the torrens back when I was even younger fishing for Carp with Bread and floats .One snake had six teenagers (me included) run straight up a steep bank at break neck speed .
Used to think the Water rats in the Torrens were bad and big .when my kids were little used to fish with a mate at the marina at north haven catching whiting and mullet .One friday night we are standing on rocks near the waters edge .I saw this thing moving in the water I knew what it was .I moved way up the rock face with my mate yelling look an otter.I yelled that aint no otter we dont have them here thats the biggest Rat I've ever seen .

Now when I fly fish I have to watch out for Trees stobie poles lights bench seats do they count as well not to mention my pants the backpack on my back or sitting on the shore or my hat on my head ;)

I almost forgot almost caught a shag in the lake it was chasing my fly and in the Torrens one of those Water hen birds did the same thing.

Cheers
Now everyone knows I'm not that good ;)

Ever caught a fish Micky?
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Mickyj » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:22 pm

automaticwicky wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

A middle aged (or older) woman in a skull boat refused to stop as I was yelling at her .
So she caught me she was all upset and I said just let me untangle and she'll be apples .But she was still upset and I said you had to stop anyway"why" and I said your heading straight for a concrete pontoon. They shoudn't let women drive backwards on water :shock: ;) sorry Jas.
Almost caught a women in the eye who was walking her dog .She was walking then stopped I started to cast and she was right behind me.
My straw cowboy hat blew off in a 30/35 knot wind took me about 10 minutes to hook and land :shock: :lol:
Back when I was really just starting fishing (I've forgotten so much) I must have been about 18.Me and a mate went off the breakwater at Victor .One of the first times I used a whole pilchard bloody big albatross (I think) swooped down and took it out the water .so fast I couldn't do anything.You could see the line get tight in the air and then ping the bird flew backwards and then went straight on.Not what you really want to happen!!
Was with the same mate on the Outer Harbour Break Water when he hooked and landed a keeper net complete with trumpeters inside.
Not caught but
I had a few run ins with Brown snakes along the torrens back when I was even younger fishing for Carp with Bread and floats .One snake had six teenagers (me included) run straight up a steep bank at break neck speed .
Used to think the Water rats in the Torrens were bad and big .when my kids were little used to fish with a mate at the marina at north haven catching whiting and mullet .One friday night we are standing on rocks near the waters edge .I saw this thing moving in the water I knew what it was .I moved way up the rock face with my mate yelling look an otter.I yelled that aint no otter we dont have them here thats the biggest Rat I've ever seen .

Now when I fly fish I have to watch out for Trees stobie poles lights bench seats do they count as well not to mention my pants the backpack on my back or sitting on the shore or my hat on my head ;)

I almost forgot almost caught a shag in the lake it was chasing my fly and in the Torrens one of those Water hen birds did the same thing.

Cheers

There's a 26cm Bream in my avatar with one of my flies in its mouth .
I have posted pics in a fair few topics
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21542&hilit=west+lakes
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20710&hilit=west+lakes
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20578&hilit=west+lakes
That one has the 26cm bream
There are some more pictures at my myspace page
You know I kick myself with all the fish over the years that I never took any pictures .
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby silicone skyline » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:38 pm

Mickyj wrote:
automaticwicky wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

Not caught but

Cheers

There's a 26cm Bream in my avatar with one of my flies in its mouth .
I have posted pics in a fair few topics
http://safooty.net/forum/viewtopic.php? ... west+lakes
That one has the 26cm bream
There are some more pictures at my myspace page
You know I kick myself with all the fish over the years that I never took any pictures .

Love the otter story. Lol.
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Alaska » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

I too have seen the “Otter” Micky.
Back when I was young we would spend all night out on a Jetty or a breakwater fishing.
On a number of occasions at the Outer Harbour breakwater while catching catfish we would see huge Rats that would become braver and hungrier as the night went on. :shock:
In our time we have accidentally caught, gulls, pelicans, shags, and skuas.
We use to catch gummy sharks and bronze whalers off of Semaphore Jetty and once a hammerhead off Rapid bay.
Now the norm is to attach to the trees behind or the back of the hat while flicking.
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:44 am

the first time I ever went to browns, when I was about 7 with my dad
I remember his mate who came caught a seagull
it got that tangled it couldnt swim and drowned before we could reel it in!!

that same trip while fishing at night, lost a rod, it was pitch black, dunno if it was stolen, probs unlikely
I reckon it was dragged out to sea by a salmon or something!!

living at north haven all my life aswell
used to spend bit of time at either breakwaters or even in the marina fishing, seen my fair share of water rats
I dont think they were ever that big though!!
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby JAS » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:20 pm

On the 'otter' thing...I realise what you guys saw probably would be very large rats but I was just wondering if, back in the days when it was acceptable, were there ever any fur farms in the area??? A lot of so called 'otter' sightings where my old man fishes are actually escaped mink that have survived and bred (very well) in the wild and although a fair bit smaller they do look a lot like an otter especially in the water....just a thought :)

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Postby JAS » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:23 pm

Btw...Micky...one of the breeds you go for is carp isn't it???

Then you might be interested in this tiddler...RIP Benson old girl
Regards
JAS

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 737929.ece
Angling world in mourning for Benson the celebrity carp
She was, in her own way, one of the great celebrities of her age, a creature of such grace and physical perfection that admirers would come from hundreds of miles away just to catch a glimpse of her. Elusive, mysterious, no one ever knew when they would see her next, or how much she would weigh.

Now she is dead, and — just as with Diana, Princess of Wales, and Marilyn Monroe — a mythology has already started to build up around her passing. How did she die? Was she a victim of her own admirers? And just how old was she, Benson, the giant carp?

We do know that Benson was big, in every sense. She was, at 64lb 2oz (29kg), the biggest common carp in Britain, although mirror carp do come larger. She was also very popular: in 2005 readers of Angler’s Mail voted her Britain’s Favourite Carp.

Anglers would come from all over the country to her home lake in Cambridgeshire to catch her, weigh her, take her photograph and put her back again. Once a fishing party flew over from Germany just to try their luck. During her all-too-short life — she was said to be about 25, although carp can easily live twice as long — she was caught more than 60 times.

But no more. Today she is sitting in a deep freeze waiting to be mounted, and the angling world is in mourning.

“We are all rocked by Benson’s death. She was an iconic carp,” Tony Bridgefoot, the owner of the Bluebell Lakes complex near Peterborough, said. “We are all still trying to come to terms with her death. Money could not have bought Benson. She had that celebrity status. I can’t stress how famous she was in the angling world. All fisherman wanted to catch her. It was the size of the fish, but also the fact that she was scale perfect. It looked as if the scales had been painted on.”

But in their keenness to land the queen of the people’s carps, did some anglers go too far? Mr Bridgefoot said that a quantity of nuts — which can be used as bait, but can be fatal if not processed properly before use — was found on the banks of the old gravel pit that was home to Benson. “This looks like the work of some irresponsible anglers,” he said. “Large quantities of nuts have been found on the bank and in the margins; empty bags have also been found in the skips. It seems her demise was caused by the introduction of foods that are harmful to fish.”

The Angler’s Mail columnist Gary Newman said: “Whenever anything dies there are rumours. People have to find a reason why. If it was something to do with the bait it would have been more than one fish that turned up.”

Not necessarily so, according to Mr Bridgefoot. “If there were nuts, she would have eaten the lot. She was a greedy fish.”

Her age was also a cause of debate. Mr Bridgefoot said that he got Benson — who was named after a hole the shape of a cigarette burn in her dorsal fin — as a 24-pounder when he stocked the lake in 1995, and that she would have been about five years old. She arrived with a companion called Hedges, who disappeared down the River Nene in the flood of 1998.

Mr Newman said that he thought she was older than 20. “It would be quite unusual to have something that young that size. It probably died of old age as much as anything. There have been cases of them living to 65 or 70, but 45 years is more normal,” he said.

At least anglers will have their memories. Mark Pitchers, of Middlesbrough, landed her on his third attempt at 11pm one night in October 2003. “I lifted the rod and knew that it could not be anything other than Benson,” he said. “The feeling was unbelievable. I had two or three nights afterwards when I could not sleep.”

One angler wrote on the Bluebells Lakes online forum: “I have followed the capture of this great fish for years & years, from carp magazines to this website & the forum! A true great fish from a true great fishery!!!!!! RIP Benson!!!!”

Did she suffer from being caught so often? Research by scientists in Edinburgh in 2003 suggested that fish felt pain, although others have reached different conclusions. “It makes you wonder,” Mr Bridgefoot said. “She seemed happy on it. I think she liked having her picture taken.”

Some anglers, however, suggested that she had not been looking her best recently. There will be no inquest and, no doubt, the controversy will soon die down. After that, immortality awaits. “She is in my deep freeze at the moment,” Mr Bridgefoot said. “She will be mounted and put in the lodge. We will have guided tours and they will be full, I’m sure.”

JAS
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:29 pm

JAS wrote:On the 'otter' thing...I realise what you guys saw probably would be very large rats but I was just wondering if, back in the days when it was acceptable, were there ever any fur farms in the area??? A lot of so called 'otter' sightings where my old man fishes are actually escaped mink that have survived and bred (very well) in the wild and although a fair bit smaller they do look a lot like an otter especially in the water....just a thought :)

Regards
JAS

Nah Jas dont think so.
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:33 pm

JAS wrote:Btw...Micky...one of the breeds you go for is carp isn't it???

Regards
JAS

She was, in her own way, one of the great celebrities of her age, a creature of such grace and physical perfection that admirers would come from hundreds of miles away just to catch a glimpse of her. Elusive, mysterious, no one ever knew when they would see her next, or how much she would weigh.

Now she is dead, and — just as with Diana, Princess of Wales, and Marilyn Monroe — a mythology has already started to build up around her passing. How did she die? Was she a victim of her own admirers? And just how old was she, Benson, the giant carp?

We do know that Benson was big, in every sense. She was, at 64lb 2oz (29kg), the biggest common carp in Britain, although mirror carp do come larger. She was also very popular: in 2005 readers of Angler’s Mail voted her Britain’s Favourite Carp.

Anglers would come from all over the country to her home lake in Cambridgeshire to catch her, weigh her, take her photograph and put her back again. Once a fishing party flew over from Germany just to try their luck. During her all-too-short life — she was said to be about 25, although carp can easily live twice as long — she was caught more than 60 times.

But no more. Today she is sitting in a deep freeze waiting to be mounted, and the angling world is in mourning.

“We are all rocked by Benson’s death. She was an iconic carp,” Tony Bridgefoot, the owner of the Bluebell Lakes complex near Peterborough, said. “We are all still trying to come to terms with her death. Money could not have bought Benson. She had that celebrity status. I can’t stress how famous she was in the angling world. All fisherman wanted to catch her. It was the size of the fish, but also the fact that she was scale perfect. It looked as if the scales had been painted on.”

But in their keenness to land the queen of the people’s carps, did some anglers go too far? Mr Bridgefoot said that a quantity of nuts — which can be used as bait, but can be fatal if not processed properly before use — was found on the banks of the old gravel pit that was home to Benson. “This looks like the work of some irresponsible anglers,” he said. “Large quantities of nuts have been found on the bank and in the margins; empty bags have also been found in the skips. It seems her demise was caused by the introduction of foods that are harmful to fish.”

The Angler’s Mail columnist Gary Newman said: “Whenever anything dies there are rumours. People have to find a reason why. If it was something to do with the bait it would have been more than one fish that turned up.”

Not necessarily so, according to Mr Bridgefoot. “If there were nuts, she would have eaten the lot. She was a greedy fish.”

Her age was also a cause of debate. Mr Bridgefoot said that he got Benson — who was named after a hole the shape of a cigarette burn in her dorsal fin — as a 24-pounder when he stocked the lake in 1995, and that she would have been about five years old. She arrived with a companion called Hedges, who disappeared down the River Nene in the flood of 1998.

Mr Newman said that he thought she was older than 20. “It would be quite unusual to have something that young that size. It probably died of old age as much as anything. There have been cases of them living to 65 or 70, but 45 years is more normal,” he said.

At least anglers will have their memories. Mark Pitchers, of Middlesbrough, landed her on his third attempt at 11pm one night in October 2003. “I lifted the rod and knew that it could not be anything other than Benson,” he said. “The feeling was unbelievable. I had two or three nights afterwards when I could not sleep.”

One angler wrote on the Bluebells Lakes online forum: “I have followed the capture of this great fish for years & years, from carp magazines to this website & the forum! A true great fish from a true great fishery!!!!!! RIP Benson!!!!”

Did she suffer from being caught so often? Research by scientists in Edinburgh in 2003 suggested that fish felt pain, although others have reached different conclusions. “It makes you wonder,” Mr Bridgefoot said. “She seemed happy on it. I think she liked having her picture taken.”

Some anglers, however, suggested that she had not been looking her best recently. There will be no inquest and, no doubt, the controversy will soon die down. After that, immortality awaits. “She is in my deep freeze at the moment,” Mr Bridgefoot said. “She will be mounted and put in the lodge. We will have guided tours and they will be full, I’m sure.”

big bugger that one was talking about one today that I saw as a kid as long as a dinning table with smaller babies all about 60cms or so .all swimming in shallow river torrens water .
Given up on the old Carp jas I could bring in but my aim was shot trying to land a fly in their mouths.
Should have taken the small Rod but I had just brought the long rod .
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Iron Fist wrote:the first time I ever went to browns, when I was about 7 with my dad
I remember his mate who came caught a seagull
it got that tangled it couldnt swim and drowned before we could reel it in!!

that same trip while fishing at night, lost a rod, it was pitch black, dunno if it was stolen, probs unlikely
I reckon it was dragged out to sea by a salmon or something!!

living at north haven all my life aswell
used to spend bit of time at either breakwaters or even in the marina fishing, seen my fair share of water rats
I dont think they were ever that big though!!
Re: FISHING Alaska
I too have seen the “Otter” Micky.
Back when I was young we would spend all night out on a Jetty or a breakwater fishing.
On a number of occasions at the Outer Harbour breakwater while catching catfish we would see huge Rats that would become braver and hungrier as the night went on. :shock:
In our time we have accidentally caught, gulls, pelicans, shags, and skuas.
We use to catch gummy sharks and bronze whalers off of Semaphore Jetty and once a hammerhead off Rapid bay.
Now the norm is to attach to the trees behind or the back of the hat while flicking.

Yep the rat was huge .
When I used to power walk after work .I would walk to the marina two things put me off .The first was talking to an old couple we knew .while I was chatting to the lady the bloke was trying to catch a brown snake while wearing thongs .
The second while on my walk back one day walking past this large two storey expensive looking unit on the water front .Up ran this rat from the rocks right inside the house .yukkkkkk to both .
Mind u growing with the Torrens River as my back yard .You only had to stand on the bank at dusk and watch the rats jump in .
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby silicone skyline » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:37 pm

JAS wrote:Btw...Micky...one of the breeds you go for is carp isn't it???

Regards
JAS

If only you knew Jas, if only you knew...
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:54 pm

Well once again I hit the lake .And once again I forgot to check the tide tables :oops: .Yep it was a dodge tide .Still with a strong NW or NE wind blowing I thought the water was getting movement enough but no it wasn't.
Ran into a lure fishing friend who was having the same luck today .Both of us noticed a lot of weed like snot weed in the torrens I wonder if they have flushed the lake lately!!
Did see the odd turn getting small fish my turn in a few weeks I hope

Here's a couple of pics the beach I fished and lights landing plaque
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:26 pm

Email I got today
FishFacts Issue 20, August 2009
www.pir.sa.gov.au/fishing

In this issue
Fish ban around Chambers Creek carp cage Squiding – how many jigs and teasers per person
Overnight trips - notifying Fishwatch Become a volunteer
Guilty plea a successful outcome for Fisheries Yorketown’s one-stop Fisheries shop
Recfish revises code of practice Scaling bag advice
Exceeding boat limits an expensive lesson

Fish ban around Chambers Creek carp cage
In a move to ensure the safety of the local community, a ban has been placed on recreational fishing activity around the area of a ‘carp cage’ to be installed in Chambers Creek at Barmera.

Under the new ruling, it will be unlawful to take fish from any waters within 150 metres of the proposed cage site in Chambers Creek, adjacent to Napper Bridge on the Morgan Road at Barmera.

Executive Director Fisheries, Martin Smallridge, said that the cage will not only provide SARDI researchers with quantitative data on instinctive carp behaviours, it will also trap the carp in a safe, ethical fashion,” he said.

“By minimising interference with the cage, we will be able to reduce the likelihood of carp avoiding the area, and in turn maximise the effectiveness of the cage.

“It’s only a very small area of water covered by the ban, however it is important that we put measures in place to protect the safety of commercial fishers and researchers who will regularly be working in the vicinity of the cage.”

Overnight trips – notifying Fishwatch
Fisheries Officers are often approached by people who are planning to go on multiple-night fishing trips. They are worried that if they are checked when they retrieve their boat, that they might have more than their daily bag limit of fish, and want to know how they can let their local Fisheries Officers know that they are ‘over-nighting’.

If you are planning to fish overnight, or over a period of days then Fisheries Officers recommend that you contact the PIRSA Fishwatch number on 1800 065 522 and report your overnight trip in advance.

You will need to tell the operator that you are a recreational fisher and that you want to prior report an overnight fishing trip. They will ask for information including your boat name or registration number, the port you are leaving from, the date you are leaving and the date you anticipate returning. The trained operator will then provide you with a reference number for your call.

The information you provide will then be sent as a text message to the mobile phones of your local Fisheries Officer.

Guilty plea a successful outcome for Fisheries
A Moonta Bay man has been fined more than $1100 in the Kadina Magistrates Court for illegally taking snapper during the closed season.

A seasonal closure applies to the taking of snapper. It is illegal to take snapper from any of the state’s waters during the closed season, which occurs from midday on 1 November until midday on 30 November.

Peter Michael Wheare pleaded guilty to the charge and was fined $400 for the offence, along with an additional $783.75 imposed by the magistrate.

Fisheries officers found six large snapper in Mr Wheare’s possession, following a routine patrol at the Port Hughes boat ramp on the 1 November last year.

Officers originally found six large snapper in Mr Wheare’s possession, however upon a thorough search of his vessel, they uncovered a further four large snapper concealed under bunk cushions within the cabin.

Recfish revises code of practice
Recfish Australia has recently revised its code of practice for recreational fishing to include principles that in particular relate to caring for fish, fisheries, and the environment.

First drafted in 1994, the National Code of Practice for Recreational and Sport Fishing was reviewed by fisheries biologist Julian Pepperell, taking into account feedback from fishing organisations, government departments and animal welfare groups such as the RSPCA.

Fourteen principles have been developed corresponding to each of the four responsibilities listed in the code; being the humane treatment of fish, looking after fisheries, protecting the environment and respecting the rights of all other members of the community.

For more information on the revised code, check out the website www.recfish.com.au

Exceeding boat limits an expensive lesson
Two recreational fishermen have paid an expensive price for exceeding strict boat limits on King George Whiting.

Dennis Broster of Chinaman’s Well, near Maitland and Ray Keam of O’Halloran Hill in Adelaide, were each fined $1200 in the Kadina Magistrates Court recently, for offences which occurred at Chinaman’s Well back in November 2008.

Both men pleaded guilty to charges relating to exceeding the daily boat limit for King George Whiting.

During routine patrols, PIRSA fisheries officers found the men to be in possession of 62 King George Whiting, which is almost three times the daily boat limit for two people of 24.

Squiding – how many jigs and teasers per person
When fishing for squid, people are often confused about how many rods, hand lines and teasers each person can use.

When squid fishing, each person may use up to two rods, or two hand lines (or one of each), plus one teaser line.

Rules about the number of rods, lines and teasers are particularly important when there is limited room to fish.

We urge all recreational fishers to show common courtesy to fellow anglers when fishing from jetties and wharves so that there is room for everyone to throw in a line.

Become a volunteer
During one of your regular fishing trips, you may have met a member of the Fishcare Volunteer Program on a jetty or boat ramp. As well as visiting all the usual fishing localities along the coast and River Murray, Fishcare Volunteers attend regional field days, boat, caravan and camping shows where they distribute bag, size and boat limit information, measuring gauges and a variety of other recreational fishing educational material.

The Volunteers are a large diverse group of individuals who give up their free time to inform recreational fishers about the rules, regulations and updates that apply in South Australia.

Since the program started around eight years ago, the Volunteers have been well accepted by the general fishing community and are often inundated by fishers wanting to know the latest information.

If you have some spare time, are interested in fishing and enjoy the great outdoors the Fishcare Volunteer Program is always looking for new members. For more information on becoming a Volunteer, contact Toni Cox, the State Fishcare Volunteer Coordinator, on 83476118.

Yorketown’s one-stop Fisheries shop
PIRSA Fisheries’ presence on the Yorke Peninsula has received a significant boost with the opening of a new office in Yorketown.

Minister for Agriculture, Food and Fisheries Paul Caica, officially opened the new office this week as part of his tour of the Yorke Peninsula.

The new office, located at 16 Minlaton Road, Yorketown, will give Fisheries a much more public face in the region.

The new facility will give Fisheries a much more visible shop front area where the public can go with their fisheries-related queries and comes equipped with a private interview room for both alleged offenders and witnesses, as well as a proper front counter area giving the public better access to our Fisheries Officers.

Fisheries Officers have been located in Yorketown since 2003, previously occupying a small room in the local council offices.

Scaling bag advice
The use of scaling bags by boaties is a common practice. It saves time in cleaning fish and reduces the amount of mess involved.

Fisheries Officers strongly encourage fishers to avoid using scaling bags for fish that are only just above the minimum size limit.

In some cases, scaling bags can knock the tails of fish around and reduce the size of that fish when it’s measured. If you have fish that are just above the minimum size limit, then leave them out of the scaling bag and scale then by hand. This will ensure that these fish can be accurately measured.
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby beeroclock » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:51 pm

Dont tell anyone but the crabs are on at Wallroo jetty.Yum.Only take what you will eat as usual.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Swamp Donkey » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:56 pm

Glad to see you made it to Port Parham on the weekend Mickyj, I saw your photos of the dead whale down there on the weekend. Have you done much fishing at Port Parham?? How did you go??
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Mickyj » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:59 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:Glad to see you made it to Port Parham on the weekend Mickyj, I saw your photos of the dead whale down there on the weekend. Have you done much fishing at Port Parham?? How did you go??

Sorry mate it must be an impersonator wasn't me .But I have got an internet stalker on fishing forums :shock:

I was to busy wading at west lakes for zero fish helped the knee though.
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:31 am

Just to let everyone know I joined SAFWAA last night .They seem a nice friendly bunch of guys and gals .They also have stocked dams spread over the countryside.Some of which may get hit by me over the coming years.
Yes rather strange for a SWFF but why not ;)
Once I heard Dams stocked with Murray Cod (large)Australian Bass (I was standing at attention when they said large Cod and I almost lost it when they said BASS still whipping the drool away from my mouth about BASS)Callop and I think Silver perch.
Along with introduced "Ferals" Rainbow and Brown Trout Redfin(Salmon were mentioned for future stockings didnt say anything about Brooke Trout pitty) .As excited as I am about the natives I could also pick up a nice feral as well as Carp .
Did I mention they stock dams with BASS!!!!
And they have the odd West Lakes day as well,missed the last one wont miss the next one.
Cheers
Mick
Did I say anything about BASS and large cod and BASS !!!
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:37 pm

Its been awhile guys .So after heading down to West lakes last Monday after work for a horror time .I headed down to the Lake this morning.
Not expecting much but hoping that the fish had awoken from their sleep or breeding cycle.Was greeted by about 20 teenage girls in Skull boats all over the Bower Rd end of the lake( a distraction).
So what to do I after rigging up and donning my Waders I walked across the road.And went straight in the Port River .Tied was way in and nothing was happening .I walked almost right up to the Lakes gate and was casting .When suddenly out of no where a dolphin pod appeared .After almost having a heart attack I realised it was Dolphins and not some thing else with Fins!!! Even so I moved from knee deep to ankle deep water just to be safe, I have never gotten over the movie JAWS.
After a half an hour of casting for nil fish I thought perhaps the girls had finished .Heading back they had and I headed for the sea ward side of the lake.
Spotting schools of small to tiny Bream .I went into my version of stealth mode .Yep I got the fish interested but only tiny tiddlers were hitting the fly.No hook ups but plenty of fish popping out the water.
By now I had moved down to the beach section .And the beach was still covered in that Snot weed I have complained about .Plus the skull boats were back but it was the teenage boys this time .Not to the mention the Dragon boats and odd kayakers were out and about .
So removing the snot weed from my surface fly I headed to the other side of the lake.Straight in the water and the tiddler popping continued the odd school of perhaps mullet was scooting by as well.I assume it was mullet cause if it were ST'S I would have had one on the shore .
But after 2 and 1/2 hours in the Port River and West lakes with knee pain foot pain and being attacked by flying ants not to mention pods of Dolphins .I thought its been fun but time to go home.
No fish but lots of popping tiddlers .
cheers
Mick
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby JAS » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:02 pm

About time you got your wellies wet again...and that's not a reference to little girlies in kayaks ;) I'll start crossing the fingers for the fish photo's again then.

Will some authority shift the dolphins out of there or will you have to put up with the possibility that they could eat the fish especially the young ones? Hope they're a bit friendlier than ours here in the Moray Firth...the first that were caught on film attacking and killing porpoises :(

At least you know there's still fish in there...better luck next time :D

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:54 pm

Dolphins were in the Port River Jas they hopefully like sharks (but I know there's photo's out there :shock: ) can not get through the intake section .
Girlies in kayaks lol I missed them today skull boats are a bit more refrained like they are doing olympic training.I felt like telling one coach to piss off he kept going on and on and on to the boys annoying!
In the really hot weather those teenage kayak girls jump about in the water after they've finished .you know how teenage girls jump in wet t shirts and giggle!! Funny the teenage boys go in the water but take ages to come out :shock: :lol: :lol: And you think I'm joking !!I should not have written that can just see SA footy goers lining the shores of west lakes now ;)

Lets say my summer just started today a long way to go and those mini mee Bream loved feeding off the surface .Bring on the big ones umm fish that is . ;)
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports