Gaelic Football in South Australia

Any other sports

Re: Gaelic Football in South Australia

Postby Flinders O'Neills » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:40 am

Brock Landers wrote:
Neville Bartoss wrote:
Cheese Twisties wrote:
Neville Bartoss wrote:I would like peoples thoughts on the issue of clubs supplying referees for gaelic footy.

Clubs are required to supply a ref or be threatened with fines and points deductions. I know of no other competition that threatens such action. Clubs play a match fee of around 120 per match to cover referees, plus a registration fee of around 30 dollars per player. Surely the fact that clubs pay such large fees should prevent them from having to provide a referee.

There has to be enough soccer and football umpires out there twiddling their thumbs in the summer looking for some extra cash. Why not contact the relevant authorities and make some enquiries?

It is like rocking up to a recreational basketball game at a rec centre, paying your game and registration fees and then being asked to umpire another teams games, its ridiculous and would never happen!

I have to disagree there NB, where do you think these new Gaelic umpires are going to come from? Aussie Rules and Soccer? I dont think so, the majority of people that umpire those sports do so for the love of the game (aussie rules or soccer) not the love of umpiring! And if you play Gaelic Football - you know how odd and different the rules are to both those sports!

I do agree its certainly tough to supply an umpire - we at St Brendan's are certainly struggling to find one for this season - but if you look at the umpires who do the job now like umpiring extraordinaire Tommy Javor, they are all previous State League Gaelic Football players, not randoms who are keen to earn some cash just umpiring.

Tho i wish it was like basketball and as easy as finding a few high school kids who want the extra cash to umpire a few games!

I guess the new referees would go through the free refereeing course offered by the association and have the same training as every other current umpire?

Their previous refereeing experience would definitely help them and I done see how not playing the game would affect your ability to referee?

I think the financial aspect could definitely encourage a few of these referees to undertake the course, they definately dont umpire footy and soccer for free!

Wasn't the recently planned umpiring clinic postponed or cancelled?

With a wide range of understanding of the rules in the comp, it is more imperitave than usual that anyone who refs understands the subtleties and nuances of the game, which I believe only comes from playing the game, a la Richie Benaud's stellar cricket commetary!

One of the main criticisms of the umpires in the AFL is that they have never played the game themselves, at any level, which gives an individual a good understanding of how some infringements of the rules don't effect a contest, and to let those infringements go so the game flows.

IMO any Aussie Rules or Soccer ref who wants to ref Gaelic should have to play a few games, maybe in the midweek comp.

Can't agree with you here brock, going back a few years the comp held at GAZA had alot of footy people/ umpires in the middle with the whistle, and apart from the games been slightly rougher, which was mainly due to the players not the refs, they were no worse than some of the refs that have been going round for the last couple of years, not allowing people to ref who have not played is a terrible way to expand the comp, it may work for the women but they are different as they are a very close knit community on the most part.

As for this weeks games - We (Flinders) have some new players having their first ever run out in Gaelic this week so it may take a week or two before we hit our straps, but fingers crossed, should have a fair bit of pace throught the middle though, Western Ireland are always pretty tough and also are not lacing in pace or skill but then again it's gaelic on a Friday night so I'm just hoping half our players rock up with under a 6 pack already downed!
Flinders O'Neills

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:51 am

Well done to both W.I and Flinders on an awesome game of Gaelic footy last night.Great intencity,good skills and plenty of amusing banter...The goats have assumed favouratism for the Jim Farnham cup with an impressive 6 point win following on from their 2 point win over Onkas last week.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 852 times

Postby Swooper16 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:18 am

wristwatcher wrote:Well done to both W.I and Flinders on an awesome game of Gaelic footy last night.Great intencity,good skills and plenty of amusing banter...The goats have assumed favouratism for the Jim Farnham cup with an impressive 6 point win following on from their 2 point win over Onkas last week.

DO you know the score of the other mens game WW...?
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:26 pm

Swooper16 wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:Well done to both W.I and Flinders on an awesome game of Gaelic footy last night.Great intencity,good skills and plenty of amusing banter...The goats have assumed favouratism for the Jim Farnham cup with an impressive 6 point win following on from their 2 point win over Onkas last week.

DO you know the score of the other mens game WW...?

onkas come from behind win to get the chocolates by a point,also a good competetive game albeit a little frustrating/controversial at times.
score was aprox na fianna 1.11(14) onkas 2.9(15).the wristwatchers tips remain on 100%
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Cheese Twisties » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:18 pm

Flinders O'Neills wrote:
Brock Landers wrote:
Cheese Twisties wrote:
Neville Bartoss wrote:I would like peoples thoughts on the issue of clubs supplying referees for gaelic footy.

Clubs are required to supply a ref or be threatened with fines and points deductions. I know of no other competition that threatens such action. Clubs play a match fee of around 120 per match to cover referees, plus a registration fee of around 30 dollars per player. Surely the fact that clubs pay such large fees should prevent them from having to provide a referee.

There has to be enough soccer and football umpires out there twiddling their thumbs in the summer looking for some extra cash. Why not contact the relevant authorities and make some enquiries?

It is like rocking up to a recreational basketball game at a rec centre, paying your game and registration fees and then being asked to umpire another teams games, its ridiculous and would never happen!

I have to disagree there NB, where do you think these new Gaelic umpires are going to come from? Aussie Rules and Soccer? I dont think so, the majority of people that umpire those sports do so for the love of the game (aussie rules or soccer) not the love of umpiring! And if you play Gaelic Football - you know how odd and different the rules are to both those sports!

I do agree its certainly tough to supply an umpire - we at St Brendan's are certainly struggling to find one for this season - but if you look at the umpires who do the job now like umpiring extraordinaire Tommy Javor, they are all previous State League Gaelic Football players, not randoms who are keen to earn some cash just umpiring.

Tho i wish it was like basketball and as easy as finding a few high school kids who want the extra cash to umpire a few games!

Wasn't the recently planned umpiring clinic postponed or cancelled?

With a wide range of understanding of the rules in the comp, it is more imperitave than usual that anyone who refs understands the subtleties and nuances of the game, which I believe only comes from playing the game, a la Richie Benaud's stellar cricket commetary!

One of the main criticisms of the umpires in the AFL is that they have never played the game themselves, at any level, which gives an individual a good understanding of how some infringements of the rules don't effect a contest, and to let those infringements go so the game flows.

IMO any Aussie Rules or Soccer ref who wants to ref Gaelic should have to play a few games, maybe in the midweek comp.

Can't agree with you here brock, going back a few years the comp held at GAZA had alot of footy people/ umpires in the middle with the whistle, and apart from the games been slightly rougher, which was mainly due to the players not the refs, they were no worse than some of the refs that have been going round for the last couple of years, not allowing people to ref who have not played is a terrible way to expand the comp, it may work for the women but they are different as they are a very close knit community on the most part.

As for this weeks games - We (Flinders) have some new players having their first ever run out in Gaelic this week so it may take a week or two before we hit our straps, but fingers crossed, should have a fair bit of pace throught the middle though, Western Ireland are always pretty tough and also are not lacing in pace or skill but then again it's gaelic on a Friday night so I'm just hoping half our players rock up with under a 6 pack already downed!

This is not the case at all - i imagine the league would welcome any new referees whether they have played the game or not - its just not really happening at the moment! There is a shortage of mens umpires, and the "each club must supply one referee" rule (that started this discussion) is one way the assoc is looking at fixing it.

St Brendan's had the bye this round, but looking forward to facing Flinders O'Neills next week!
Gaelic Football - Funny name, SERIOUS GAME!
http://www.gaelicfootballsa.com.au/
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Wand_07 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:44 am

Anyone got Results from the Sunday games?
Wand_07
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:37 am

Wand_07 wrote:Anyone got Results from the Sunday games?

Australia beat India by 4 runs
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:18 am

This weeks tips

Onk v I.A....Onkas by 5-10 pts.Last weeks come from behind 1 pt win over the luckless Na Fianna should kick start their season.Not to mention the return of Gabriel Phillips from the rock estedford.

Mitcham v W.I....Goats by 10-15.W.I are the form team of the comp atm with there new players fitting in well with the likes of the Flos,Klunny,James"cant get a vote"Gallagher,John Hancock and the evergreen Kyle Reeves.

MATCH OF THE ROUND
FLIND V ST.BRENDANS....Probably the toughest tip to make so far this year.For no good reason except the fact they won Betty last year.Ill tip the Taints by 1-5.Would not be suprised to see it go the other way though.Todd McSorely is the X factor in this one.If he has a blinder FON will get the chocolates.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Neville Bartoss » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:41 pm

Western Ireland were good against us on the weekend, tall bloke in the middle dominated and very hard to stop with his size and fitness. Definitely the team to beat at this stage.

We struggled a bit, had alot of new young boys that hadn't played the game before, but will be much better for the run.

We should be getting a few more experienced boys back this week and unfortunately a few might have to miss out due to the large amount of players we have coming out at the moment. Hopefully we will put in a better performance this week against last years premiers.

Congratulations to the western ireland boys, played in good spirit although a couple of late hits made the game interesting but thats gaelic!

Well done to tommy too, thought he kept the game under control
Neville Bartoss
Under 16s

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:34 pm

well said neville,should be an awesome game with you boys and the saints this sunday
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Cheese Twisties » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:59 am

Neville Bartoss wrote:Western Ireland were good against us on the weekend, tall bloke in the middle dominated and very hard to stop with his size and fitness. Definitely the team to beat at this stage.

We struggled a bit, had alot of new young boys that hadn't played the game before, but will be much better for the run.

We should be getting a few more experienced boys back this week and unfortunately a few might have to miss out due to the large amount of players we have coming out at the moment. Hopefully we will put in a better performance this week against last years premiers.

Congratulations to the western ireland boys, played in good spirit although a couple of late hits made the game interesting but thats gaelic!

Well done to tommy too, thought he kept the game under control

The Taints have a few outs from our round 1 victory - footy trips and Derby Day in Melbourne has taken its toll! Also could be playing without a recognised keeper/soccer-player which is always a bad start... tho the perenial underdogs St Brendan's will certainly be up for the stoush!

Looking forward to that 36 degree heat on Sunday...
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:05 pm

if its gonna be 36 in adelaide sunday avo fear not,by the late avo st.marys will still probably be about 15 degrees and blowing a gale.the change should be coming through by the time your game gets underway.
on your lack of a soccer player for dead balls,i would of thought that ginpegs boys will still be suiting up.i still cant tell them apart but one of them was striking his dead balls beautifully at the championships.as for your goaly,i remember st.zues playing goaly last year and being only about 8 goals off of a clean sheet.put him in goals for shits and giggles.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Neville Bartoss » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:41 pm

We should have a bib bench to cover the heat so fingers crossed we can our first win on the board. Hopefully we will get Della out too for next week, pending the decision at the meeting on monday
Neville Bartoss
Under 16s

Postby Neville Bartoss » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:36 pm

Flinders by 10 points against St Brendan, wouldn't have thought many have tipped that result!!

With 4 quality players (Alex Haughey, Nathan Elliott, Davis Eggers and Daniel Della Verde) still to come into the side next week, Flinders could cause another big upset against Onkas, be a question of can we stop gabe...

Any other results from this weeks games?
Neville Bartoss
Under 16s

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:18 am

Neville Bartoss wrote:Flinders by 10 points against St Brendan, wouldn't have thought many have tipped that result!!

With 4 quality players (Alex Haughey, Nathan Elliott, Davis Eggers and Daniel Della Verde) still to come into the side next week, Flinders could cause another big upset against Onkas, be a question of can we stop gabe...

Any other results from this weeks games?

onkas comftable winners over i.a and w.i 6.7-25 too good for mitcham 0.8-8
more on the games when ive got more times as well as next weeks tips and perhaps some discussion on fridays very dissapointing incident
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Swooper16 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:36 am

I watched a bit of the W.I game and they look to be the team to beat at this early part of the season. Some handy big blokes for the kickouts and skillful players all over the ground.

Disappointing result for the Taints. As per most years its a bit of grind trying to get the experienced players out for the pre-christmas comp. Saying that we battled on and were in front for probably 75% of the game. Lack of subs in the end i think hurt and Flinders were able to pile on 5 quick well taken unders.
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Postby Neville Bartoss » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:37 pm

What incident occurred on Friday night?

Definitely agree that Western Ireland are the team to beat at this stage but as we found out last season you need to play your best football at the business end of the season to win the trophies, will be a matter of keeping their strong form going...
I their size is a definite advantage, along with run from their half back and half forwards. Their weakness is deep in full back and full forward lines and I believe and that is an area that could be exploited by opposition teams.

In regards to our game, we were confident that we would eventually run over st brendans in the end, we are traditionally a slow starting side and the st marys gale definitely helped us in the second half! Once again I thought the game was played in good spirits and controlled well by the ref. Looking forward to the return fixture when both sides are at full strength!
Neville Bartoss
Under 16s

Postby Cheese Twisties » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:22 pm

Yes some comical scenes in the Taints camp on Sunday morning, last minute pull outs, a few no shows, and people rocking up reeking of booze with nightclub stamps still on their arms... we've seen it all before at St Brendans! Tho as you said NB its what happens at the business end of the season that matters...

We started the game with someone who is at best our 4th choice keeper... who then couldnt come out after half time coz he was violently ill and was then replaced by our equally seedy 5th choice keeper... we were always gonna be up against it! Tho i thought a dubious penalty late in the 2nd half was possibly what turned the match Flinders way...!! The penalty was nearly worth it tho to see the spot kick blasted at our near comatose keepers guts!

Hoping/praying/begging to have up to 7 of our more experienced players out for next Sundays against the newbies Mitcham - who looked quite good from what i saw of them against Western Ireland.
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:47 am

re; friday nights incident
i was not there so what i am writing is based on here say.i have however spoken to the ref,an onkas player,an i.a player,a commitee member and the onkas coach as well as the former i.a coach who were all present for the incident......
a player was given consecutive yellow cards and sent from the field and proceeded to step on the foot of the referee and drop the shoulder into him on his departure.the player also continued to harrass the ref as he attempted to write his match report.i will not name the player or ref as i dont think that is relevant to the discussion.i will say the player was of irish decent playing for irish aust in his first season.
MY OPINION,minumum of 1 year penalty....making contact with an umpire/ref is without doubt the most dispicable,cowardly act a footballer can make.having already being sent from the field makes it even worse.the commitee needs to send a message with its penalty that you never EVER EVER under any circumstances place your hands on a ref,let alone make agressive or deliberate contact.it was only last year that a 6 week ban was placed on a player for verbal abuse.
as a ref myself i am willing to admit that i make incorrect decisions.this can be due to line of vision,perception of events or even occasionally just stuffing up.it happens.it is a very lonely place to be on that field with a big crowd abusing you as well as an etire team,if not both of them.when i do make what i percieve to be a bad decision i put it out of my head to the best of my ability and try and keep the game flowing to minimise my influence on the contest.sometimes you have to take control of the game and book those players or officials who abuse you but generally i have found that i have an ability to keep the game flowing.i have never even considered the idea that i could potentially be assaulted whilst being an official.no penalty will be considered to harsh for the incident that occured as it was plain and simple "a DISGRACE"
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Brock Landers » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:40 am

Yeah good call Wristy.

It's a tough job out on the field there alone for the refs. Any physical contact is a massive no no [-X

They get enough verbal abuse to last a lifetime.
Brock Landers
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports