MMA - UFC, Strikeforce, etc.

Any other sports

Re: MMA UFC

Postby Q. » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:37 am

***SPOILER ALERT***

Was Maynard robbed? I scored the fight 47-47, so a draw seemed justified, but it's hard to believe one of the judges gave the fight to Frankie 48-46. Nevertheless, what an incredible fight, Edgar showing why he is a champion with the gutsiest comeback I have ever seen. I had queries over Maynard's ability to go the five rounds given that it is more physically burdening for him to cut weight compared with Edgar who does it with ease - so it didn't help that Maynard gassed himself after throwing 97 punches in R1!!! There must be a replay in the next two months!

Sad to see Leben go down, he is great entertainment and is a down-to-earth bloke, but just isn't proving himself to be a world class fighter.

Brandon Vera embarrassed by a horrific broken nose? Hey, I'd be more embarrassed by the pathetic performance he put up! At least Silva provided a little light entertainment.

UFC125 lived up to the hype. A great card and some cracking fights!

***SPOILER ALERT***
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2397 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:25 pm

Nice to be here gentleman. 8)
Now whilst im here would everyone please say nice things about Brock Lesnar.... :) Anyway i heard today that Chael Sonnen has been indef. suspended due to personal issues. Thats a pretty rapid demise from being a bees d*ck away from upsetting the pound for pound best in the world Anderson Silva for the belt a couple of months ago to being wiped like a dirty ass by Dana White. :oops:
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 861 times

Postby Q. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:50 pm

Sonnen is awaiting sentencing for his fraud charges (unrelated to fighting) and the UFC will wait to see the outcome before they schedule him to fight again - believe he is back in court early March. I rate Sonnen, good fighter and entertaining outside of the octagon.

On Lesnar, apparently he hasn't trained at all since his loss to Velasquez and has lost interest in MMA. Word is he is looking to make a move back to that acting/fake wrestling stuff and strengthens many peoples' opinions that his move to the UFC was purely a strategic business move, rather than a love for the sport. He had been 'figured out' as a fighter anyway, couldn't see him taking back the title ever again. Despite him being an ungracious winner and much maligned personality, he did reignite interest in the heavyweight division if only because he polarised people's opinions of him.
Q.
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:40 pm

Quichey wrote:Sonnen is awaiting sentencing for his fraud charges (unrelated to fighting) and the UFC will wait to see the outcome before they schedule him to fight again - believe he is back in court early March. I rate Sonnen, good fighter and entertaining outside of the octagon.

On Lesnar, apparently he hasn't trained at all since his loss to Velasquez and has lost interest in MMA. Word is he is looking to make a move back to that acting/fake wrestling stuff and strengthens many peoples' opinions that his move to the UFC was purely a strategic business move, rather than a love for the sport. He had been 'figured out' as a fighter anyway, couldn't see him taking back the title ever again. Despite him being an ungracious winner and much maligned personality, he did reignite interest in the heavyweight division if only because he polarised people's opinions of him.

Quichey do you get your news from the UFC.com site, or elsewhere?
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 781 times
Been liked: 846 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:43 pm

Quichey wrote:
Was Maynard robbed? I scored the fight 47-47, so a draw seemed justified, but it's hard to believe one of the judges gave the fight to Frankie 48-46. Nevertheless, what an incredible fight, Edgar showing why he is a champion with the gutsiest comeback I have ever seen. I had queries over Maynard's ability to go the five rounds given that it is more physically burdening for him to cut weight compared with Edgar who does it with ease - so it didn't help that Maynard gassed himself after throwing 97 punches in R1!!! There must be a replay in the next two months!

Sad to see Leben go down, he is great entertainment and is a down-to-earth bloke, but just isn't proving himself to be a world class fighter.

Brandon Vera embarrassed by a horrific broken nose? Hey, I'd be more embarrassed by the pathetic performance he put up! At least Silva provided a little light entertainment.

UFC125 lived up to the hype. A great card and some cracking fights!

I scored it 10-8, 9-10, 10-9, 9-10, 10-9. I can see pretty easily how you'd get a 9-10 for the last round (and hence get a 47-47), but a 48-46 means that Judge saw the first as a 10-9, OR he hasn't dropped a round after the 1st round after scoring it 10-8. There really isn't any way you could score it a 10-9 given the events of the first round. Either way, I find a 48-46 scoreline in favour of Edgar hard to fathom. Oh well, we move on.....
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:46 pm

I read that all three judges gave the first round 10-8, which means one judge awarded every round thereafter to Edgar :shock:

Oh well, should make for a good re-match. Meanwhile Pettis is slated to take on Guida.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:50 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Quichey do you get your news from the UFC.com site, or elsewhere?

Elswehere, as I like to keep up with news from Strikeforce, Bellator etc

There's heaps of MMA sites out there, but I mainly check sherdog.com, mmanews.com & mmafighting.com
Q.
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:35 pm

Quichey wrote:I read that all three judges gave the first round 10-8, which means one judge awarded every round thereafter to Edgar :shock:

Oh well, should make for a good re-match. Meanwhile Pettis is slated to take on Guida.

I'd think Pettis would win that match. I saw the kick by Pettis on Henderson. Crazy!
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:47 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Quichey wrote:I read that all three judges gave the first round 10-8, which means one judge awarded every round thereafter to Edgar :shock:

I'd think Pettis would win that match. I saw the kick by Pettis on Henderson. Crazy!

That's the thing, I don't think he's ever beaten a top ten ranked fighter and he himself isn't even ranked in the top ten. He's only getting a title fight because he was the lightweight champion in the WEC before it was absorbed by the WEC.

So the winner of Pettis/Guida gets a crack at a UFC Lightweight title. I'd like to see Sotiropoulos get a shot at it in the second half of the year if he beats Siver in a month.
Q.
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Quichey wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

That's the thing, I don't think he's ever beaten a top ten ranked fighter and he himself isn't even ranked in the top ten. He's only getting a title fight because he was the lightweight champion in the WEC before it was absorbed by the WEC.

So the winner of Pettis/Guida gets a crack at a UFC Lightweight title. I'd like to see Sotiropoulos get a shot at it in the second half of the year if he beats Siver in a month.

That reminds me actually, wasn't that some crazy head movement by Guida. I like him, dunno why. He's a bit tradesman like I think (hence "The Carpenter"?) which has an appealing component to it. He's not the best at anything, yet he tries like his guts out.

Why wouldn't the UFC just give Pettis the title shot at Edgar. What would've been a climactic entrance to the UFC is now somewhat dulled by the bout against a non-top-10er.

Like you said, Vera was extremely disappointing. I did expect Silva to win but that was a pretty poor performance by someone who once sprouted that he'd win more belts than Couture.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:08 am

Clay Guidas fights are never anything but exciting and he is such a likeable dude. One of my favourite fighters. His fight with Diego was almost surreal. A true warrior and full of class, respect and it would appear jumping beans.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 861 times

Re: MMA - UFC, Strikeforce, etc.

Postby Mic » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:41 pm

Apparently Brock Lesnar will be one of the coaches for the next Ultimate Fighter season.

Just watched UFC 125, thought it was a good show and agree that the main event had a very surprising result.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 150 times

Postby Q. » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Any interest in the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix? For fans of the big boys it should be fairly entertaining, particularly as Fedor and Overeem are taking part. Here are the rules:

- Three-round fights up until the final bout, which will be a five-round championship fight for the newly created Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix title

- Alistair Overeem's title not up for grabs

- If any fight is ruled a draw, there will be a fourth judge that will determine which fighter should continue on in the tournament

- If a fighter cannot continue on in the tournament due to injury or other circumstances, a five-person Strikeforce committee, headed up by Strikeforce rules director Cory Schafer, will determine a replacement from reserve bout winners and eliminated tournament fighters.

http://strikeforce.com/grandprix/
Q.
Coach

Postby mickey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:53 pm

Quichey wrote:Any interest in the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix? For fans of the big boys it should be fairly entertaining, particularly as Fedor and Overeem are taking part. Here are the rules:

- Three-round fights up until the final bout, which will be a five-round championship fight for the newly created Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix title

- Alistair Overeem's title not up for grabs

- If any fight is ruled a draw, there will be a fourth judge that will determine which fighter should continue on in the tournament

- If a fighter cannot continue on in the tournament due to injury or other circumstances, a five-person Strikeforce committee, headed up by Strikeforce rules director Cory Schafer, will determine a replacement from reserve bout winners and eliminated tournament fighters.

http://strikeforce.com/grandprix/

Sounds similar to the original UFC format
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Mic » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:09 am

Don't like the tournament format.
Mic
League - Top 5

Postby Q. » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:03 pm

The thing with heavyweights is that they are most prone to gassing out during a fight, so they seem like the least likely candidates suited to the tournament format whereby they'll have to back-up their fights.

However, I can look past this given that Fedor (arguably the world's greatest MMA heavyweight) and Overeem (current champ) are on the card. Hopefully we'll see them both in the final.
Q.
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Quichey wrote:The thing with heavyweights is that they are most prone to gassing out during a fight, so they seem like the least likely candidates suited to the tournament format whereby they'll have to back-up their fights.

However, I can look past this given that Fedor (arguably the world's greatest MMA heavyweight) and Overeem (current champ) are on the card. Hopefully we'll see them both in the final.

The first UFC experiences leant toward the substitute (can't recall the actual term they used) often winning the whole thing, because everyone was stuffed by the time the final came around.

I can't see why this format would be any different, thereby lessening the experience for everyone who wants a true heavyweight clash of two unbeaten rivals in the final.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Mic » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:58 pm

And for the safety of the fighters, they shouldn't really be fighting more than once in a night.
Mic
League - Top 5

Postby mickey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:39 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Quichey wrote:The thing with heavyweights is that they are most prone to gassing out during a fight, so they seem like the least likely candidates suited to the tournament format whereby they'll have to back-up their fights.

The first UFC experiences leant toward the substitute (can't recall the actual term they used) often winning the whole thing, because everyone was stuffed by the time the final came around.

I can't see why this format would be any different, thereby lessening the experience for everyone who wants a true heavyweight clash of two unbeaten rivals in the final.

They were alternates, often fought on the undercard etc
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:29 pm

mickey wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

They were alternates, often fought on the undercard etc

Thanks mickey, alternates, that's the term I was after.
gadj1976
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports