Wimbledon

Any other sports

Re: Wimbledon

Postby Dirko » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:18 am

(-|

These dudes are falling asleep out there !
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby NFC » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:05 am

Play suspended at 59-59.

They will play for a 3rd consecutive day, and in all likelihood, will have to come out again on the same day for their 2nd round match, unless the schedule allows for common sense.

Isner was meant to be playing doubles today too. :lol:
NFC
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Choccies » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:31 am

NFC wrote:Play suspended at 59-59.

They will play for a 3rd consecutive day, and in all likelihood, will have to come out again on the same day for their 2nd round match, unless the schedule allows for common sense.

Isner was meant to be playing doubles today too. :lol:

He still can... toughen up Isner !!! At least he wouldn't need a warm up... ;)
I love grapes. With grapes, you always get another chance. You know, if you have a crappy apple or a peach, you’re stuck with that crappy piece of fruit. If you have a crappy grape, no problem-just move on to the next. ‘Grapes: The Fruit of Hope.
Choccies
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:26 pm

I watched some of Australia's Jarmila Groth last night.
She won in straight sets 6-4. 6-3 over American teenager, Melanie Oudin, who got to 4th round of Wimbledon and US Open Qtr finals last year.

I hadn't heard about Jarmila before, apparently as she's been injured most of the past 2 years.
She impressed me. She has good power, and volleys well. Is currently ranked No 92, but is rated as a genuine top 20 player by the Aussie comentators.

She beat Renata Voracova in 1st Round 6-4, 6-3. Her next opponent is Angelique Kerber, who got to 3rd Round in Aust Open and 2nd Round of French.
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby NFC » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:56 pm

85 WAS A GOOD YEAR wrote:I watched some of Australia's Jarmila Groth last night.
She won in straight sets 6-4. 6-3 over American teenager, Melanie Oudin, who got to 4th round of Wimbledon and US Open Qtr finals last year.

I hadn't heard about Jarmila before, apparently as she's been injured most of the past 2 years.
She impressed me. She has good power, and volleys well. Is currently ranked No 92, but is rated as a genuine top 20 player by the Aussie comentators.

She beat Renata Voracova in 1st Round 6-4, 6-3. Her next opponent is Angelique Kerber, who got to 3rd Round in Aust Open and 2nd Round of French.

She's veeeery talented. Top 30 talent for sure. Just needs to stay fit because she's got beautifiul groundies.
NFC
Coach

Postby CoverKing » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:00 pm

NFC wrote:
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR wrote:I watched some of Australia's Jarmila Groth last night.

She's veeeery talented. Top 30 talent for sure. Just needs to stay fit because she's got beautifiul groundies.

iv watched a bit of her in the last couple of years (when she has been on court and not injured). If she can just choose the right time to use that forehand she is going to be top 20 maybe top 10 in a couple of years!!

With isner v mahut, would not be suprised to see on of them not sure tonight! They will be struggling to walk!! Luckily there next opponent played a minor marathon being 16-14 in the 5th... I would think common sense would prevail and the next match was to be played tomorrow and not tonight
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Squawk » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:35 am

Mahut played qualifying to get in to the main draw. He won his final game 24-22 in the third set. :shock:

Check out the game statistics to date (on the Wimbledon website) - they are incomprehensible!
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Pidge » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:35 am

Isner wins 70-68. WHAT A GAME!
It's Somma Time!
Pidge
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby brod » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:31 pm

Anastasia Rodionova caused the biggest upset at Wimbledon on a day of few surprises by ousting former US Open and French champion Svetlana Kuznetsova.

Kuznetsova, who has never been past the quarter-finals in eight attempts, saved a match point before going down 6-4 2-6 6-4.

Then Kuzetsova wouldnt shake hands after the match =;
brod
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 26 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:05 pm

Pidge wrote:Isner wins 70-68. WHAT A GAME!

you mean set.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:53 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

you mean set.

So even after they run out of light and play is suspended on first day, they come back out and still need the equivalent of two sets to finish it!!!

Hope there's no knee jerk reaction to this very rare occurence and they leave the fifth set rules the way they are.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby magpie in the 80's » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:44 pm

as roger federer said this is a rareity (sp) and history probably never to be seen again in wimbledon,
And that the 5th set does not turn into a tiebreaker
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:26 pm

ORDoubleBlues wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

you mean set.

So even after they run out of light and play is suspended on first day, they come back out and still need the equivalent of two sets to finish it!!!

Hope there's no knee jerk reaction to this very rare occurence and they leave the fifth set rules the way they are.

In Davis Cup i think it was, it used to be advantage sets for all 5 sets. Only recently (say 10-15 years) it changed to be the fifth set being advantage.

Whilst on that, I still don't think it's fair that the women get paid the same as the guys. It's unequal as far as I'm concerned.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports