Gaelic Football in South Australia

Any other sports

Re: Gaelic Football in South Australia

Postby Cheese Twisties » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:35 pm

Early days yet Beachy, the Taints will have the usual hurdles of injuries, SANFL/AFL players returning to training, Irishmen getting deported, and perhaps the biggest Taint killer SOUNDWAVE moving to a 2 day event, to get past before the year is out!

Onkas and Western Ireland will always be around the mark, however i also like the look of Port Districts this year. They had a squad of 20 odd last Friday night and were desperately unlucky to go down by a point against Onkas after a late penalty.

Can anyone confirm where the State Trip is in 2014? I heard its back in NZ and in windy Wellington? That would be a sweet trip! Especially if games are played at the cake tin.
Gaelic Football - Funny name, SERIOUS GAME!
http://www.gaelicfootballsa.com.au/
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:16 pm

Cheese Twisties wrote:Early days yet Beachy, the Taints will have the usual hurdles of injuries, SANFL/AFL players returning to training, Irishmen getting deported, and perhaps the biggest Taint killer SOUNDWAVE moving to a 2 day event, to get past before the year is out!

Onkas and Western Ireland will always be around the mark, however i also like the look of Port Districts this year. They had a squad of 20 odd last Friday night and were desperately unlucky to go down by a point against Onkas after a late penalty.

Can anyone confirm where the State Trip is in 2014? I heard its back in NZ and in windy Wellington? That would be a sweet trip! Especially if games are played at the cake tin.

I thought we were due to host it?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Cheese Twisties » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:42 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Cheese Twisties wrote:Early days yet Beachy, the Taints will have the usual hurdles of injuries, SANFL/AFL players returning to training, Irishmen getting deported, and perhaps the biggest Taint killer SOUNDWAVE moving to a 2 day event, to get past before the year is out!

You might be right LGIL, i have no idea really. I know we were proper due a year or so back, but be we passed up the opportunity due to lack of numbers on the committee IIRC. Not sure if that means if we have to wait our turn again, or if we get another chance sooner.

I think suitable venues was an issue last time also. From memory the Irish Kings have a fairly specific set of requirements in order to host the games.
Gaelic Football - Funny name, SERIOUS GAME!
http://www.gaelicfootballsa.com.au/
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby the milky bar kid » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:07 pm

Cheese Twisties wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:

You might be right LGIL, i have no idea really. I know we were proper due a year or so back, but be we passed up the opportunity due to lack of numbers on the committee IIRC. Not sure if that means if we have to wait our turn again, or if we get another chance sooner.

I think suitable venues was an issue last time also. From memory the Irish Kings have a fairly specific set of requirements in order to host the games.

Yeah, you're on the money CT. A lack of numbers & a lack of a suitable venue meant we had to pass the games in. Probably luckily for the association, due to the hole that the games have fallen into over the last 2 years.

Given the ridiculous requirements required to host the games (a venue with 2 playing fields, 1 grandstand area & 8 changes rooms. From memory there is also some fencing requirements) & the current lack of support of the games from the state associations. It makes hosting the games not profitable after venue & equipment hire.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby the milky bar kid » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:16 pm

At this stage I'd say it looks like a race in two between Western & St Brendan's. Both have added too last year's teams whilst Na Fianna & Onka's seem to have had the Irish parts of their teams move/deported.
I think Onka's have felt the effect of this slightly less than us & should still be around the mark.
Port have definitely improved & have a stronger discipline & are continuing to develop. Whether they can do enough to break the 4 is a different issue.
I didn't see Flinders against us on the weekend, but the word through from some unbiased spectators is that they were still fairly average.
Unfortunately for Port & Flinders, to crack the four, they'd want to get some points up on Na Fianna & Onka's, but they've both dropped both their match ups v Na Fianna & Onka's.
Irish, they seem a long way off, but Doecke's continues to improve them slowly. Marcus & his mates dogging/being poached has really hurt the development of this club.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Cash 123 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:12 pm

Desperately unlucky doesnt even do the situation justice.

Horrible refereeing in the last ten minutes and the penalty which the ref couldnt even explain why he paid neither could any of the players understand why it was paid.

Also the linesmen and other figures of the association were clearly on onkas side and most definately influenced the referee and outcome of the game.

Despite this, the game was played in good spirits betwenn the two teams and even Butters O-leary got a few kicks
Cash 123
Under 18s

Been liked: 22 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:53 am

Cash 123 wrote:

Desperately unlucky doesnt even do the situation justice.

Horrible refereeing in the last ten minutes and the penalty which the ref couldnt even explain why he paid neither could any of the players understand why it was paid.

Also the linesmen and other figures of the association were clearly on onkas side and most definately influenced the referee and outcome of the game.

Despite this, the game was played in good spirits betwenn the two teams and even Butters O-leary got a few kicks

Who was the ref?

I find it hard to believe a ref could award a penalty and then not explain the foul
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 851 times

Postby HH3 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:28 pm

Hows dem Ports? ;)

Ports 3.6.15
St Brendans 0.6.6
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Neville Bartoss » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:57 am

No complaints about the ref this week? :)
Neville Bartoss
Under 16s

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:21 pm

Thank God your back Nev, the forum needs you.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby HH3 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:06 pm

Nah, we got handed 3 yellows and a black in the last 10 mins, but no point complaining after beating the top side :)
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Neville Bartoss » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:23 pm

Thought it needed some livening up....now where is snake eyes
Neville Bartoss
Under 16s

Postby Neville Bartoss » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Good win. Makes our game against wi vital if we are to be any chance this season. Big ask but hopefully this weekend is one of upsets
Neville Bartoss
Under 16s

Postby Cash 123 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:48 pm

Another close loss for Port on the weekend unforutantely.

Played well and didnt concede an under for a record 3 clean sheets in a row for our new keeper.

Unforunately just missed a few opportunites in attack in the second half.

Seems people are taking notice though because teams are complaining that one of our new recruits is a thug who shouldnt play only because he was a mameber of the now infamous Titans and thus wasnt allowed to play on the wekend.

Turn it up and let the lad play, shame on all you involved
Cash 123
Under 18s

Been liked: 22 times

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:01 pm

Cash 123 wrote:Another close loss for Port on the weekend unforutantely.

Played well and didnt concede an under for a record 3 clean sheets in a row for our new keeper.

Seems people are taking notice though because teams are complaining that one of our new recruits is a thug who shouldnt play only because he was a mameber of the now infamous Titans and thus wasnt allowed to play on the wekend.

Who is the former Titans player? It can be only one of the following 3 ; Arthur, Sodas or Kosta.

As the former Titans coach I can confirm that Titans have played in at least 5 different teams. It's been 6 or 7 years FFS and if he doesn't tow the line he will get a red card and an auto three week suspension anyway.

Note the Titans were not expelled for on field misdemeanours? This is comical if it is the case. Onkas had 4 titans at one point.

Ironically I can think of 3 Titans who have already played for Port.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:38 am

wristwatcher wrote:
Cash 123 wrote:Another close loss for Port on the weekend unforutantely.

Who is the former Titans player? It can be only one of the following 3 ; Arthur, Sodas or Kosta.

As the former Titans coach I can confirm that Titans have played in at least 5 different teams. It's been 6 or 7 years FFS and if he doesn't tow the line he will get a red card and an auto three week suspension anyway.

Note the Titans were not expelled for on field misdemeanours? This is comical if it is the case. Onkas had 4 titans at one point.

Ironically I can think of 3 Titans who have already played for Port.

I have still never understood the whole Titans debacle. Overkill moment.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:35 pm

Interesting day down at Gaelic Park, here is what I saw...

Got there at the conclusion but a 13 man Onkas knocked off Flindes by a point. Flinders had "Fabulous" Fred back who netted 3 first half triples that nearly helped cause an upset that would have had The Reds back in finals contention but it wasn't to be.

St. Brendans 0.11 def Na Fianna 0.7 in a pretty good game of Gaelic. Na Fianna led by 3 points at the half. Would have been an even better game if all the players just shut up and played rather than arguing with the ref but none the less some of the interactions were very entertaining. Jody Peg was brilliant and the Taints had too much class across the park. Interesting to note Finns had only 4 of last years squad of 30 players playing today. The green and blacks are definitely missing one or two in attack to support Skipper Conor O.

What else did I see....

Na Fianna girls knocked off the traffic cones by about 700 points and I also saw the Western Ireland boys in the bar having a beer, no wait I have never seen that ;)

Having seen the Taints twice this season I predict they will be there Hannigan Cup Final day.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Flinders O'Neills » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:08 am

Port roll on with a close win over Na Fianna, well done to them good to see a new team up in finals contention...will be good to see 3 teams fighting it out for 3rd and 4th place...

St Brendans confirmed they will be the team to beat, getting over Western by a couple...

Flinders beat Irish by 5 Overs
Flinders O'Neills

Been liked: 0 time

Postby HH3 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:21 am

Flinders O'Neills wrote:Port roll on with a close win over Na Fianna, well done to them good to see a new team up in finals contention...will be good to see 3 teams fighting it out for 3rd and 4th place...

St Brendans confirmed they will be the team to beat, getting over Western by a couple...

We've beat them once, and we'll beat them twice more if we need to ;)

#ports
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:12 pm

HH3 wrote:
Flinders O'Neills wrote:Port roll on with a close win over Na Fianna, well done to them good to see a new team up in finals contention...will be good to see 3 teams fighting it out for 3rd and 4th place...

We've beat them once, and we'll beat them twice more if we need to ;)

#ports

Yes you have beat them once...In the history of your club :roll:

Don't get ahead of yourself rookie. From all reports the only reason you beat them was due to the master stroke coaching maneuverers of Coach Troy. Yes Ports are embarking on a Troyvelution but it's a big step from playing off for key rings to holding up Betty. :)
wristwatcher
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports