MMA - UFC, Strikeforce, etc.

Any other sports

Re: MMA UFC

Postby Strawb » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:34 pm

Quichey wrote:***SPOILER ALERT***

So many highlights, but these few moments stand out the best for me:

- Aussie George's win. Okay, so it wasn't the most entertaining fight, but he's our homegrown hero and he's another step closer for a shot at the lightweight title.
- A bloodied, bruised, but grinning Bonner :lol:
- Fight of the night! Leben backs up from his win TWO WEEKS AGO to defeat 'Sexyama'. Does this dude have an iron chin or what?! I'm glad Akiyama chose to fight toe to toe most of the fight (which was his downfall really - bad tactics on his part) because it meant we got to see some brutal and prolonged exchanges.
- Unification of the Heavyweight Division. Love him or hate him, you gotta respect Lesnar for withstanding a first round pounding from Carwin who gassed himself going for the kill. Controversy though, many think the fight should have been stopped in the first round??? Perhaps if it wasn't a main event it would have been - Carwin unlucky.

Agree with all you said there but Lesnar was not protecting himself depending on the Ref the fight would have been stopped if Mario or Herb we incharge the fight
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby Mic » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Just finished watching it. What a great event!
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:06 am

Just downloaded 116 and watched the Main Event only, thought Lesnar was gone for all money, great comeback....will watch the rest tomorrow
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:45 pm

Just watched 116. Great event, fantastic effort by Carwin but I actually thought if it wasn't the title bout they would've stopped it. Good reff-ing by Josh Rosenthal though to let it go.

Can't wait for Lesnar's next bout vs (is it Cain Velasquez?)

Think Silva will flog Sonnen in UFC117
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Q. » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:36 am

Finished watching UFC 117.

Great to see legend Matt Hughes leave Big Dog passed out on the canvas.

And how good was the main event? Again, one of the best fights you'll ever see in MMA circles. I was so shattered to see Sonnen tap out in the last round, just a couple of minutes from a legendary victory and after completely dominating Silva for the entire fight. Hope we get to see a rematch.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:13 pm

Quichey wrote:Finished watching UFC 117.

And how good was the main event? Again, one of the best fights you'll ever see in MMA circles. I was so shattered to see Sonnen tap out in the last round, just a couple of minutes from a legendary victory and after completely dominating Silva for the entire fight. Hope we get to see a rematch.

Phew Quichey, I just checked this thread to post "has anyone seen UFC 117" and I'm glad I checked only AFTER I'd seen it. :lol: That Sonnen fight was a cracker. I for one thought he'd get done inside 3 minutes to be honest.

Do you believe Silva about his injury? For mine, with all his antics in his previous fights recently, I don't really know whether to believe him or not.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Mic » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Agreed.

Another very enjoyable event.
Mic
League - Top 5

Postby Q. » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:13 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

Phew Quichey, I just checked this thread to post "has anyone seen UFC 117" and I'm glad I checked only AFTER I'd seen it. :lol: That Sonnen fight was a cracker. I for one thought he'd get done inside 3 minutes to be honest.

Do you believe Silva about his injury? For mine, with all his antics in his previous fights recently, I don't really know whether to believe him or not.

Well, I gave it a week ;)

Hard to say whether I believe Silva, but even he it was true I don't think it's something he should be bringing up. Have some respect for Sonnen and the fight and keep your excuses to yourself.

Never heard Chris Leben complaining when he had to back up and fight a second time in two weeks. HTFU Silva.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Watched some old fights last night, definitely worth checking out if you haven't already seen them.

Matt Hughes vs Frank Trigg II [UFC 52] - The fight is why Hughes is awesome. Copping ground and pound from Trigg after the ref didn't seen a kick to the groin, Hughes manages to gain control from nowhere and actually picks Trigg up. He walks him to Triggs corner, throws him to the ground and finishes the fight with a rear naked choke! Legendary.

Stephan Bonnar vs Forrest Griffin [TUF 1 Final] - Stand and deliver for three rounds. Both these dudes wanted a contract that bad they played out one of the gutsiest fights you'll ever see and were both dead on their feet by the end of round three.

Manhoef vs Cyborg [Cage Rage 15] - Probably one of the best toe to toe fights you'll see. They basically fell over each other in a heap by the end of the fight. Mental.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:58 pm

Gotta love the Penn vs Stevenson fight - bloodbath :twisted:
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:04 pm

Watched UFC 118 today. Wasn't a great card to begin with and didn't live up to the standard of the previous few main events.

To top it off I missed probably the best fight of the night - Diaz vs Davis :roll:
Q.
Coach

Postby Mic » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:23 pm

Quichey wrote:Watched UFC 118 today. Wasn't a great card to begin with and didn't live up to the standard of the previous few main events.

Just finished watching it, I agree.
Mic
League - Top 5

Postby tigerland09 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:33 pm

After losing to Randy “The Natural” Couture at Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) 118 last Saturday (Sunday in Manila), Toney called out the UFC Hall of Famer to prove himself in the boxing ring.

“My thing with Randy Couture is he is a legend in his sport. He seems like a good person. I don't know him personally, but from when I meet him, he seems like he’s a great dude, man. And if he is a real man, come put the gloves on,”
tigerland09
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby the milky bar kid » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:37 pm

James "the turtle" Toney

Certainly not in any danger of getting of his back...
Must admit i loved the subtitles :lol:
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times

Postby Q. » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:52 pm

What a fizzer that fight was :roll:

"Hey princess, I'm comin' t' git ya" ....hmmm, no you're not....
Q.
Coach

Postby the milky bar kid » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:16 pm

Also why would Couture need to 'prove' himself in the boxing ring???

He is not the one who chased Dana White around the country to be given a shot... :roll:
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times

Postby Q. » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:28 pm

Piss Toney off. I wanna see Fedor and Overeem fight in the UFC!!!
Q.
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:57 am

Mic wrote:
Quichey wrote:Watched UFC 118 today. Wasn't a great card to begin with and didn't live up to the standard of the previous few main events.

Just finished watching it, I agree.

ditto. I'd much prefer quality cards over quantity of UFC's. And I for one am past the regurgitation of Couture every second UFC.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:22 pm

We've all seen awesome 'no-name' fights before. I reckon UFC 118 was disappointing because a couple of individual performances were disappointing. The two drawcard fights saw a hopeless Toney and an out-of-sorts Penn.

Really looking forward to watching UFC 120 with Bisping and Hardy fighting in front of a home crowd, should be a cracking atmosphere and no doubt they will turn it on for their fans.

UFC 121 with Lesnar defending his title should be good too.
Q.
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Quichey wrote:We've all seen awesome 'no-name' fights before. I reckon UFC 118 was disappointing because a couple of individual performances were disappointing. The two drawcard fights saw a hopeless Toney and an out-of-sorts Penn.

Really looking forward to watching UFC 120 with Bisping and Hardy fighting in front of a home crowd, should be a cracking atmosphere and no doubt they will turn it on for their fans.

UFC 121 with Lesnar defending his title should be good too.

A colleague just told me that Toney got 500k for that effort? Wow!

Yeh, the crowd will turn it on in Enger-lund for sure. Should be a cracker.

Penn really looked like he didn't know how to handle Frankie Edgar at all. And his corner should be sacked. I could've offerred the same advice. The amount of times the corner said "you know what to do" amazed me.
gadj1976
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports