Pro Cycling

Any other sports

Re: Pro Cycling

Postby Grahaml » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:58 am

O'Grady has fessed up. Took EPO before the 1998 tour. Apparently was for a couple of weeks leading into the tour then never again. Very, very disappointing. I understand to a point, though. When so many are doing it and you can't keep up you can get desperate. Just a shame that even someone of O'Grady's standing does it and only admits it when he expects to get outed.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby lesthemechanic » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:34 am

Time to change the name of the bikeway along the Northern Expressway. No accolades for confessed cheats in my mind.
lesthemechanic
Under 18s

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby dedja » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:39 am

Devastating news ... a real shame.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 973 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:44 am

Disgrace!!! :evil:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:42 pm

Most disturbing for mine is that he has waited so long to confess. I know the French senate enquiry handed down some names of people suspected of doping on the '98 tour but why wait until now?

IMO, if you can hold onto a lie for 15 years you can hold onto a lie forever. How can anyone believe him when after 15 years he says "I only did it once".....? :?

Poor form Stew, poor form.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby dedja » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:09 pm

I'm not condoning him at all and it looks like he's only fessed up because he was caught ... but at least he has made a public confession.

It has unfortunately tarnished what seemed to be a brilliant career and it will haunt him forever.

We mere mortals will never know or understand the pressure these guys are under ... I would like to think that if I was in the same situation that I'd do the honourable thing but I honestly can't be certain.

I know people who are close to him and they'd be guttered.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:33 pm

Good news is there won't be many more riders from the late 90s implicated. Simply because there aren't many left. I imagine there were a few who did it clean, just makes you wonder whether they sit at home feeling good for taking the moral high ground or whether they just feel ripped off that they didn't get the results they deserved. I'd probably feel more the latter, since nobody would believe you actually did ride clean.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:24 pm

Time for the sport to let them all take drugs.

They will never get on top of this and there will always be questions asked about the champions for the next 100 years.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Q. » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:19 pm

Lol'd at 'once'.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:42 pm

whufc wrote:Time for the sport to let them all take drugs.

They will never get on top of this and there will always be questions asked about the champions for the next 100 years.

Yep agreed.
They will never clean it up
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby dedja » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:46 pm

Cycling or AFL?
dedja
Coach

Postby southee » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:49 pm

Q. wrote:Lol'd at 'once'.

Me too!

Disgraceful and a sport that will be tainted for a very long time. (if not forever)
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby southee » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:49 pm

dedja wrote:Cycling or AFL?

AFL gets my vote.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Tassie Blues » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:12 am

but he's a nice bloke isn't he like Jobe so he can take banned substances I am sure it was all a misunderstanding by a coach or some Dr he trusted.
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Grahaml » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:24 am

Let's not forget the level of drug taking we know of in most sports now is very similar to what we thought was the case in cycling in the mid to late 90s. Cycling takes the fight more seriously than any other organisation and it's this very reason we even exposed riders like O'Grady, Armstron, Ullrich etc.

Personally, I think cycling right now is one of the cleanest sports around. The penalties, attitudes and vigor the authorities pursue any half lead gives me some optimism. Particularly when the average speeds of stages is so much lower than it was. But the image will stick for quite some time.

As for letting them all take drugs, I think that's reckless. Those that want to put their long term health first will be effectively retired despite working harder and being better. I think that's more unfair.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:33 am

Grahaml wrote:

Let's not forget the level of drug taking we know of in most sports now is very similar to what we thought was the case in cycling in the mid to late 90s. Cycling takes the fight more seriously than any other organisation and it's this very reason we even exposed riders like O'Grady, Armstron, Ullrich etc.

Personally, I think cycling right now is one of the cleanest sports around. The penalties, attitudes and vigor the authorities pursue any half lead gives me some optimism. Particularly when the average speeds of stages is so much lower than it was. But the image will stick for quite some time.

As for letting them all take drugs, I think that's reckless. Those that want to put their long term health first will be effectively retired despite working harder and being better. I think that's more unfair.

And those taking drugs run the risk of serious health problems or death.
Maybe if a few drop dead the athletes will decide its not worth the risk
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:34 am

southee wrote:
dedja wrote:Cycling or AFL?

AFL gets my vote.

All sports.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:28 am

Grahaml wrote:Let's not forget the level of drug taking we know of in most sports now is very similar to what we thought was the case in cycling in the mid to late 90s. Cycling takes the fight more seriously than any other organisation and it's this very reason we even exposed riders like O'Grady, Armstron, Ullrich etc.

A lot of people actually believe Usain Bolt is clean :lol:
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:42 am

Grahaml wrote:

I didn't think they ever complete the same stage twice? Well, never the exact same route anyway.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:44 am

Booney wrote:
Grahaml wrote:

I didn't think they ever complete the same stage twice? Well, never the exact same route anyway.

think its average speeds are lower than the drug fueled era.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports