MLB

Any other sports

MLB

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:03 am

Not sure how much interest is out there but given that Major League Baseball is in the stretch run to the playoffs I thought I'd start this one up.

Interesting to see the Detroit Tigers leading the way this year for several reasons but for the ones I'm familiar with, Jim Leyland's managerial skills - has managed in the majors for years and has been on many winners. The guy who gives you the impression that he's the ultimate team man in Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez who has won in the world series before and the stellar pitching of rookie Justin Verlaunder and Bonderman.
Several familiar clubs at or near the top of the standings in the Boston RedSox, New York Yankees and last years champs the Chicago White Sox. Others still going strong and almost guaranteed of playoff action include the Oakland A's (with Frank Thomas still going strong), Minnesota Twins and the New York Mets.
Anyone catch the recent games between the Anaheim Angels and the Texas Rangers? Was a classic mound charging brawl when an Angels pitcher hit Adam Kennedy in the back in what was no doubt retaliation for what happened in the previous game when Ranger's pitcher Vincente Padilla threw at Vladimir Guerrero and hit him in the arm and then in his next at bat threw at him again but a pitch or two later Guerrero put him over the fence but Padilla still threw at two more batters and was eventually tossed.
In a stat that I always like, Albert Pujols of the St Louis Cardinals is one of the Major League Leaders with 35 home runs for the year but amazingly he has only been struck out 34 times.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby Dutchy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:48 pm

like the MLB, never got into it until I went to a game at Yankee stadium in 2001 and got a new appreciation for the game. I follow the A's but reckon DET are the team this season. Im running a MLB betting drip over at http://www.footytrends.comif interested, its has my daily plays
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:45 pm

Interesting to see this morning that Florida Marlins rookie Anibal Sanchez threw the first no-hitter in the majors for two years in only his 11th major league start against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
A guy by the name of Ortiz of the Washington Nationals had one going right up until the last inning a few days ago and he even hit a home run in the changeover to the ninth and last inning (a pitcher hitting a home run in the majors is similar to a no.11 hitting a 50 in a test match).
A lot of luck involved in a no hitter.
Roger Clemens has never pitched one in his storied career and the great Nolan Ryan has pitched the most in history with 7.
Wilson Alvarez pitched one in only his 2nd ever start 15 years ago and his career never reached any great heights.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:05 pm

The MLB season is underway again and a sensational performance by 21 year old pitcher Felix Hernandez of the Seattle Mariners in a 3-0 Seattle win over the Powerful Boston Redsox batting lineup. Hernandez pitched a 1 hit shutout in 9 innings and had the radar gun reaching 100mph (160kph) and was pitching balls with movement at over 90mph!!!!!
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby MagicKiwi » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:46 pm

Yankees. Similar reason to Dutchy, I went and watched them in Yankee Stadium although I was watching it when it used to be on free-to-air circa early 90s.
Red (and White)
Red (Backs)
All (Blacks)
MagicKiwi
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby PhilG » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:15 pm

Last edited by PhilG on Wed May 16, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilG

Postby Dutchy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:04 pm

I struggled to get interested in the MLB until NBA is over, mind you the NBA is crap at the moment just before the playoffs.....the MLB is being played in cold conditions which just doesnt seem right, they have had snow in some games!...watched a bit of Angels/Red Sox this morning and couldnt get into it...

On the NBA just saw that Greg Oden is going into the draft and playing NBA next year
Dutchy
Site Admin

Re: MLB

Postby Mr66 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:46 pm

ORDoubleBlues wrote:Not sure how much interest is out there but given that Major League Baseball is in the stretch run to the playoffs I thought I'd start this one up.

Err.. the season has just started so its a pretty loooooooooong stretch run to the (October) playoffs. :shock:
Its always too early to predict a baseball season this far out. but lets hope the Yankees JUST fall short
again in the playoffs.
I would love to see the Chicago Cubs win it but I fear the World Series win drought will extend to 100 years.
Yes folks, the Cubs last won the Wolrd Series in 1908.
If one person does it, it's insanity. If millions do it, it's religion.

http://www.beyondblue.org.au
Mr66
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: MLB

Postby Dutchy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:55 pm

Mr66 wrote:
ORDoubleBlues wrote:Not sure how much interest is out there but given that Major League Baseball is in the stretch run to the playoffs I thought I'd start this one up.

Err.. the season has just started so its a pretty loooooooooong stretch run to the (October) playoffs. :shock:

Have a look of the date of the post 66.... :roll:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Mr66 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:05 pm

:oops:

I'm old.
I need my eyes seen to.
Anyway my comment can apply to this year.
If one person does it, it's insanity. If millions do it, it's religion.

http://www.beyondblue.org.au
Mr66
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:17 pm

A very big thing in Major League Baseball on Monday with the League commemorating the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's first game in the big leagues. For those who aren't aware, Jackie Robinson was the first black player signed to play in the majors. Was very interesting to watch one of the games that was on that day on fox between Robinson's old team the Los Angeles Dodgers and I think the California Angels. Throughout the telecast they had many people in the commentary booth including Robinson's wife (Robinson himself passed away in 1972), former teammates and other big names like Hank Aaron who were recalling stories from the days of Jackie Robinson.
Having mentioned Aaron, Barry Bonds is now within 18 home runs of tying Aaron's all time mark of 755.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby PhilG » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:20 pm

Last edited by PhilG on Wed May 16, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilG

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:03 pm

and didnt the Dodgers all wear his number 42? i also believe Baryy Bonds wore 42 on that day also
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:26 pm

Alex Rodriguez on fire for the Yankees with 12 home runs and 31 RBI's in the first 17 games.
A big turnaround from last season when Yankee fans wanted to lynch him.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:52 pm

ORDoubleBlues wrote:Alex Rodriguez on fire for the Yankees with 12 home runs and 31 RBI's in the first 17 games.
A big turnaround from last season when Yankee fans wanted to lynch him.

A day after I made this post, he hit another 2 homers in a Yankee loss to Tampa Bay. Tied Albert Pujols for most homers ever in April and barring a Bonds like refusal to pitch to him, he really could knock in at least 80 homers for the season which would beat Bonds' record of 72.
Yankees struggling a bit at the moment but that's more to do with pitching and defense than their hitting. There's even talk of the Yankees trying to drag out grizzled veteran Roger Clemens.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby PhilG » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:58 pm

Last edited by PhilG on Wed May 16, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilG

Postby schimma » Tue May 01, 2007 12:54 pm

keep a eye on the tribe this year, if they stay fit they have some very good young pitchers and solid batting line up behind the best centre fielder at the moment in Sizemore.
We're in hell right now gentlemen. Believe me. And we can stay here, get the shit kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell... one inch at a time.
schimma
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Tue May 01, 2007 2:38 pm

schimma wrote:keep a eye on the tribe this year, if they stay fit they have some very good young pitchers and solid batting line up behind the best centre fielder at the moment in Sizemore.

He's certainly impressive in nearly all departments and probably one of the only leadoff hitters that can hit for power.

Interesting yesterday that only the 13th ever unassisted triple play ever was recorded in the majors. It was achieved by a short stop (can't remember who off the top of my head) in a game against the Atlanta Braves.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Wed May 09, 2007 12:38 pm

So the Yankees have gone and signed 44 year old Roger Clemens for the remainder of the season on a prorated contract that will make him one of the highest paid players in baseball.
I really am surprised about the frenzy that this has created for a pitcher who will be 45 years old before the season finishes.
He is one of the games greats but as shortstop Derek Jeter hinted at, he can only impact on about 25 regular season games (will be interesting to see how much impact he does have as I feel this could go pear shaped) and they'll have to find a cure to the problems in their bullpen which most recently included Mariona Rivera giving up a homer to Seattle's Adrian Beltre when the score was tied at 2 all in the last inning.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby PhilG » Wed May 09, 2007 6:39 pm

Last edited by PhilG on Wed May 16, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilG

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports