2012 Le Tour De France

Any other sports

2012 Le Tour De France

Postby RustyCage » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:39 pm

✸ 3,479 kilometers / 22 teams / 198 riders ✸

9 new stage towns. 9 flat stages. 5 mountain stages - two with a summit finish. 2 individual time-trial stages. 1 prologue.
+ 4 promising intermediate mountain stages - one with a summit finish.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Re: 2012 Le Tour De France

Postby RustyCage » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:40 pm

RustyCage

Postby woodublieve12 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:43 pm

how many blokes will finish the race legally???
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3032 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby RustyCage » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:59 am

Cancellara's 5th win on opening day

Fabian Cancellara has become the second rider in history to take the yellow jersey for a fifth time on the opening day of the race (equalling Bernard Hinault's efforts). His first victory at the Tour was in Liege in 2004... he's since won the TT at the start of the Tour in London (2007), Monaco (2009), Rotterdam (2010) and Liege - again - in 2012.
RustyCage

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:35 am

woodublieve12 wrote:how many blokes will finish the race legally???

zero - they're all on it...
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby brod » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:49 pm

The top 10 on GC overnight was as follows:
1 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) RadioShack-Nissan 0:07:13
2 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling 0:00:07
3 Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Omega Pharma-QuickStep
4 Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:00:10
5 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky Procycling 0:00:11
6 Brett Lancaster (Aus) Orica GreenEdge Cycling Team
7 Patrick Gretsch (Ger) Argos - Shimano 0:00:12
8 Denis Menchov (Rus) Katusha Team 0:00:13
9 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing Team
10 Andriy Grivko (Ukr) Astana Pro Team 0:00:15

Cadel was 13th (17 sec)
brod
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 26 times

Postby brod » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:51 pm

Stage 1 is well and truly underway and another thing that you dont see in every sporting event comes into play....the breakaway are forced to wait at a railway crossing for over a minute..bad luck, play on
brod
Coach

Been liked: 26 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:34 pm

Interesting last night that Cavendish didn't even try to contest the sprint finish. I reckon Matt White's prediction is spot on, I expect Cavendish to pull out* of the Tour just before the Pyranees. Will give him two weeks to freshen up for the Olympic Road race.

I believe Sagan is a monty for the Green jersey after his Tour de Suisse form.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Grahaml » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:06 pm

am Bays wrote:Interesting last night that Cavendish didn't even try to contest the sprint finish. I reckon Matt White's prediction is spot on, I expect Cavendish to pull out* of the Tour just before the Pyranees. Will give him two weeks to freshen up for the Olympic Road race.

I believe Sagan is a monty for the Green jersey after his Tour de Suisse form.

I agree that Cavendish will pull out of the tour early, but last night's stage wasn't one for him. He'd have contested it if he could get up with the leaders. A run into the finish like that is tough on the pure sprinters like Cavendish and Goss and it was no surprise to me how it finished. Especially the way the peloton flew near the end.

Sagan is no monty for the green. He was only contesting the sprint against Cancellara who lead it out. Any half decent sprinter would have won that stage in that position. Tonight could be a totally different story.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 169 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:18 pm

Grahaml wrote:I agree that Cavendish will pull out of the tour early, but last night's stage wasn't one for him. He'd have contested it if he could get up with the leaders. A run into the finish like that is tough on the pure sprinters like Cavendish and Goss and it was no surprise to me how it finished. Especially the way the peloton flew near the end.

Sagan is no monty for the green. He was only contesting the sprint against Cancellara who lead it out. Any half decent sprinter would have won that stage in that position. Tonight could be a totally different story.

I agree it wasn't amde for him but last year in a similar stage (Montpellier, which Cadel won) he had a crack for a bit, last night didn't even bother to have a crack.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Sploosh » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:32 pm

It seems the SBS coverage goes from the pre-amble and "postcards" section to suddenly 30 minutes into the race. That's 2nights in a row it's happened. If they have to show their irrelevant cooking sections for contract purposes,why the hell can't they start coverage in Adelaide earlier? It's ridiculous that we have to watch cooking, yet miss the start.
Sploosh
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby dedja » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:01 am

it's been the same format for years ... get used to Gabriel Gate :lol:
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby Grahaml » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:37 am

am Bays wrote:
Grahaml wrote:I agree that Cavendish will pull out of the tour early, but last night's stage wasn't one for him. He'd have contested it if he could get up with the leaders. A run into the finish like that is tough on the pure sprinters like Cavendish and Goss and it was no surprise to me how it finished. Especially the way the peloton flew near the end.

I agree it wasn't amde for him but last year in a similar stage (Montpellier, which Cadel won) he had a crack for a bit, last night didn't even bother to have a crack.

Each stage unfolds differently. The last 20km last night were furiously fast. Once that uphill started it could easily be he couldn't keep up, once you lose contact that's it, might as well cruise home and fight another day.

Simply, Cavendish not contesting the stage win is no indication at all of his green jersey ambitions. If he isn't there to win green, he's there to win stages. To not contest either when he could is a waste of a rider on a GC chasing team. Notably in the intermediate, a better finish for the sprinters, it was Goss, Cavendish and Greipel. Perhaps Sagan is a chance (he's really a rough green chance, not a "monty") because there are more unusual finishes this year than others with a few classics type finishes. Not all will suit Sagan but they might present the chance to get points when the pure sprinters aren't up there. If that happens though, Gilbert will be around the place too.

dedja wrote:it's been the same format for years ... get used to Gabriel Gate :lol:

I like those segments. I'll happily watch every race from the start but to be honest, the first half of a stage tends to play out the same. If something strange does happen, they'll show a replay later anyway. But the chance to see some of the cuisine and sights is always nice.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby RustyCage » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:49 am

The Tour each year is great tourism for France, after seeing all their castles and things I always want to go there! :lol:
RustyCage

Postby Grahaml » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:14 am

Sagan contested the intermediate and handily beaten by the guys who also contested it. Renshaw and Petacchi didn't even give it a crack. Demonstrates clearly where Sagan sits in the heirarchy of sprinters I think. His play on the green is to have a few good finishes on the hillier days and have Cavendish take a few wins then pull out. There might even be more than 1 sprinter do the same thing. I think though, that strategy is a very unlikely one. He'll be hoping the breakaways don't win on the days the GC and sprinter teams don't need to chase and then will be mixing with guys like Gilbert. As I said, he's still a rough chance.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby Mop Up » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Tonight could be very interesting.... those Hills at the end are tough to judge, no one seems able to work out if it will favour the sprinters who can climb hills like Sagan, Giilbert and Goss or if it's more for the punchy climbers like Gerrans, Chavanel, EBH.

Interesting to note GreenEdge have talked about their chances in this stage for 3 weeks, came to France a day earlier to suss he finish, and overnight still talking up Goss' chances. Yet everything I read he is hardly mentioned.

I think some people are over estimating the last climb, its 700m and they will be approaching it at 65km/h, they will be halfway up it before they gotta start pumping so hopefully Gossy can take the win.

Him or EBH and I will be happy
Mop Up
League - Best 21

Postby Grahaml » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:46 pm

Mop Up wrote: I think some people are over estimating the last climb, its 700m and they will be approaching it at 65km/h, they will be halfway up it before they gotta start pumping so hopefully Gossy can take the win.

Ordinarily a climb like that wouldn't cause any trouble for the main sprinters, but there will be breaks earlier trying to get away from the pack over the last few smaller climbs and the sprinters will be working overtime just to keep up. When they get to the final sprint the guys like Cavendish will have worked harder than normal and to sprint on a climb like that suits Sagan and Gilbert more. I think Cav et al are a chance, but I agree with the consensus that it'll take the edge off him. In pro cycling, an edge is all a rival needs.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby Mop Up » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Yeah completely agree sprinters like Cav, Pettachi etc have no hope here, was thinking those in between sprinters like Sagan and Goss.

Will be interesting to see if any breaks can get away.

I've got my dosh on Brajkovic and EBH.
Mop Up
League - Best 21

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:00 pm

For the punters out there is Gerrans @ $19 and Goss @ $46 to win tonights 3rd stage any value.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby pels » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:06 pm

Hopefully we see an action packed last 20km and maybe some GC contenders have a bit of a go
and try and get some time on Wiggins in particular
pels
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 7 times

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports