V8 Supercars Reverse Grid for 2006

Any other sports

V8 Supercars Reverse Grid for 2006

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:01 pm

A recipe for Crashes, carnage,and Chaos was announced to V8 Supercars yesterday for the 2006 season.
Reverse grid contests will shuffle the action through the 2006 season with nine three heat race meetings on the calander including a contest where the starting gridline up is a mirror image of the finishing order from the last race

(have heard race 2 of the Clipsal 500 will be reverse Grid, good news for HRT :wink: )
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:31 pm

Absolutely ridiculous idea.
I'm assuming the points scoring system will change as its only 2 pts between each position at the moment otherwise you'll see people in Race 1 not giving a crap if a car overtakes them.
I could just imagine the 3rd to last car stopping as he wants to go off the front row with the 2 cars behind him also stopping.
Could be some long Race 1s!!!
Qualifying will now be a farce too.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2063 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:41 pm

Wedgie wrote:Qualifying will now be a farce too.

not Qualifying, as the positions from the shootout will remain the smae for race 1, its only 2nd and 3rd races where the reverse grid will apply.
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:25 pm

Sam_goUUUdogs wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Qualifying will now be a farce too.

not Qualifying, as the positions from the shootout will remain the smae for race 1, its only 2nd and 3rd races where the reverse grid will apply.

My point was it wont be as intense as the drivers will not be that keen to do as well in Race 1 as in the past.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2063 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby RustyCage » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:52 am

I dont agree that it will make qualifying and race 1 a farce. The race stewarts are doing a good enough job of that as it is.

I dont mind reverse grid races as a special thing once or twice a year, but as often as they are planning is stupid. I'd also hate for it to be at the Adelaide 500. I want to see the fastest cars at the front based on merit. The nature of the Adelaide 500 is that race 2 is virtually a random grid anyway, due to the amount of incidents in the race. Slower cars will avoid the carnage and move up towards the front and the quicker cars will have trouble and start near the back.

V8 Supercars should stay as pure racing based on merit, not some entertainment novelty.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:05 am

the good thing about it beign at the Clipsal 500, is that the good drivers will get back through the field if they need to, Lowndes and Skaife both came from the back of the grid in race 2 this year, both ended up on the podium.
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Postby Ian » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:28 pm

Drivers will spend more time setting up the car for the race, and less time trying to push for a top 10 shootout spot, strting midfield in the first race would not be an issue, if you finish race 1 out of the top 10, you will still be in a lot better position at the start of race 2 than those that did achieve a good result.
Great for race fans, but doesn't reward the teams and drivers that get it all right during practice, qualifying and race 1.
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports