Travel Agents

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Travel Agents

Postby Wedgie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:08 pm

Anyone have good recommendations or are they all the same?
Ive only really dealt with one recently as I've only organized one overseas trip, I found when they gave me a price I went away and found much better deals myself but then came back to them with my new figures as they can still get discounts and deals not available to average Joe.
But still curious just to go with the mob down the street or if people have highly regarded agents.
Cheers.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2067 times
Been liked: 3929 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Travel Agents

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:37 pm

Wedgie wrote:Anyone have good recommendations or are they all the same?
Ive only really dealt with one recently as I've only organized one overseas trip, I found when they gave me a price I went away and found much better deals myself but then came back to them with my new figures as they can still get discounts and deals not available to average Joe.
But still curious just to go with the mob down the street or if people have highly regarded agents.
Cheers.

My old man's a travel agent.
The arrival of internet bookings, wotif, webjet, expedia etc has virtually smashed the industry to pieces.
However, a travel agent is still extremely useful for high end travel, or if you want recommendations on what to do at a certain destination etc. But you'll pay more for this service.

What really irks my old man (and I totally agree with him) is people who want to go on a trip to say the gold coast. They come in, sit down and get all the info. Then they say "we'll go away and think about it". They then go online, see that they can get $5 off their airfare for booking online. Then go back to the agent and say "I can get this $5 cheaper online....what's the go with your price being $5 higher?". Ummmmm, well you clown, that's their livelihood - recommending and booking travel. The extra $5 is what's called commission and if you don't want to pay it, get off your fat, lazy, ugly arse and do some bloody research yourself!

My take on it - I personally prefer to do my own research and book online if I'm doing something relatively simple. However, I've done a couple of round the world trips and in order to get the best deal on airfares (lowest taxes etc) my old man's advice was gold and probably saved my $500 per trip over what I would have paid on expedia.

Horses for courses in other words.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Wedgie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:55 pm

I've just found travel agents seem to have more access to those stay 4 or 5 nights get the next 4 or 5 nights free deals with accom and better access to get certain seats on planes otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2067 times
Been liked: 3929 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Wedgie wrote:I've just found travel agents seem to have more access to those stay 4 or 5 nights get the next 4 or 5 nights free deals with accom and better access to get certain seats on planes otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.

Spot on. Most people don't appreciate that though.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Board index   General Talk  Travel