US/Canada Winter

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: US/Canada Winter

Postby zipzap » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:08 pm

Failed Creation wrote:
zipzap wrote:Currently living in Kingston, Ontario, about 2 1/2 hours drive from Toronto. V Rail train from Toronto is very good Pag. We're off to Quebec for the Carnival in a couple of weeks - can't wait!

Prior to our arrival about 10 days ago, apparently it had been unseasonably 'warm'. The day we arrived Kingston was hit by freak snowstorms and mass blackouts! The cold isn't an issue when you're inside - as long as the furnace is going! Not so much fun in a blackout!

The weather changes abruptly - nice sunny day today, now it's snowing lightly with threats of frozen rain (that's a trip!) to follow this evening. The icy sidewalks are an absolute death trap! Fun driving on icy roads too. But it's all part of the fun that is Canada. Looks mighty purdy too :)

Let me know if we can assist you in any way. We'll be here for 12 months before we too do the west coast of the US before heading home

I loved Kingston, I have a few relatives there, and I think it's a good sized town. Did you ever go on the Wolfe Island ferry?

Kingston was a good base as it was half way between Toronto and Ottawa. Pretty conservative place but overall I liked it, especially the downtown area. Went to Wolfe Island a couple of times, not a lot there!
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby zipzap » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:15 pm

Freo HeaveHo wrote:Yea pretty much everyone I've spoken to haven't had glowing reports of LA . I'm more than happy to spend a day or two just to see it and spend more time in other cities. NY and Vegas are probably the two we want to spend the most time at . Miami is mainly to feed my addiction of basketball

Well, now that I've been there I've got a much better understanding of what LA is exactly. It's very spread out...it's a bit like how we talk about 'Adelaide' but actually mean all of the surrounding regions like Glenelg, or the Port, or the Hills. You wouln't tell someone to go to Adelaide and just mean the CBD. If by LA you mean the CBD then yes, it's crap. But that's a distance from places like Hollywood (also crap), Santa Monica, Beverly Hills etc. You need a car to get around properly.
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:26 pm

zipzap wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:
zipzap wrote:Currently living in Kingston, Ontario, about 2 1/2 hours drive from Toronto. V Rail train from Toronto is very good Pag. We're off to Quebec for the Carnival in a couple of weeks - can't wait!

Prior to our arrival about 10 days ago, apparently it had been unseasonably 'warm'. The day we arrived Kingston was hit by freak snowstorms and mass blackouts! The cold isn't an issue when you're inside - as long as the furnace is going! Not so much fun in a blackout!

The weather changes abruptly - nice sunny day today, now it's snowing lightly with threats of frozen rain (that's a trip!) to follow this evening. The icy sidewalks are an absolute death trap! Fun driving on icy roads too. But it's all part of the fun that is Canada. Looks mighty purdy too :)

Let me know if we can assist you in any way. We'll be here for 12 months before we too do the west coast of the US before heading home

I loved Kingston, I have a few relatives there, and I think it's a good sized town. Did you ever go on the Wolfe Island ferry?

Kingston was a good base as it was half way between Toronto and Ottawa. Pretty conservative place but overall I liked it, especially the downtown area. Went to Wolfe Island a couple of times, not a lot there!

Agreed. I also like Napanee too, it's a nice little town.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 615 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Failed Creation » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:26 pm

By the way, Zipzap, are you missing Tim Hortons?
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby zipzap » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:28 pm

No, Tim Hortons (deliberate grammatical error - that's how they like it!) sucks a big one. Well the coffee does, the snacks are OK I guess but mainly because they are so cheap. The way Canadians walk around with their litre of dishwater Timmies coffee superglued to their hands is as mind-boggling as their loud proclamations of how great it is. I lost count of how many Canucks asked if we have Timmies in Australia. Er no, we actually have choice. It's VERY hard getting a real espresso coffee in places like Kingston, and a lot of Canada actually, hence they know nothing else. It was funny going to Aussie-rampant places like Whistler where the coffee shops had boards out the front saying things like 'proper Aussie coffee' and 'preferred by 9 out of 10 Aussies.' LOL
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:17 pm

zipzap wrote:No, Tim Hortons (deliberate grammatical error - that's how they like it!) sucks a big one. Well the coffee does, the snacks are OK I guess but mainly because they are so cheap. The way Canadians walk around with their litre of dishwater Timmies coffee superglued to their hands is as mind-boggling as their loud proclamations of how great it is. I lost count of how many Canucks asked if we have Timmies in Australia. Er no, we actually have choice. It's VERY hard getting a real espresso coffee in places like Kingston, and a lot of Canada actually, hence they know nothing else. It was funny going to Aussie-rampant places like Whistler where the coffee shops had boards out the front saying things like 'proper Aussie coffee' and 'preferred by 9 out of 10 Aussies.' LOL

The Canucks are pretty touchy about that use of grammar. Personally, I loved Timmies coffee over Starbucks, and (if you knew me, my weight would be a dead giveaway) I could live on Honey Crullers and Timbits.

By the way, have you met the captain of the Wolfe Island ferry?
Failed Creation
Coach

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Travel