europe

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: europe

Postby Magellan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:56 pm

Jase wrote:We're leaving Adelaide in December and flying intonRome for a week, then into the UK for 4 weeks then France for another week and back home from there...

Can't wait to go...

Looking forward to seeing Pompeii, the Vatican and the usual sights in Rome.

Then visiting family in ghe UK and getting to a Bradford City, Aston Villa and a Liverpool game.

Sounds good, Jase, I was in Rome last October.

Bear in mind Pompeii is outside of Rome, and just past Naples to the south (between Naples and Sorrento). There's a super fast train that can get there in an hour, but costs a bit. Definitely worth a look, it's a massive area that they've excavated there (they're still digging stuff up) and a real eye opener. In fact it was a fully functioning city, and you can see this as you walk around the site. It had pretty much everything, including its own 20,000 seat stadium (where 'Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii' was recorded.) :rock: :prayer:

Also nearby is Herculaneum, which is a smaller but still interesting excavation. The train between Naples and Sorrento that gets you there is a bit dodgy, through.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Psyber » Sun May 22, 2016 7:43 pm

Hi All,

Just back last night from Madrid, Cordoba, Ronda, Gibraltar, Malaga, Tours and most of the Loire Valley, Paris, London, Plymouth, Penzance and all adjacent towns, Oxford, Brightlingsea, York, Fort William, Laggan, and Glasgow.

We broke the flight with a stopover in Dubai both ways - direct flights Adelaide to Madrid and Glasgow back to Adelaide with Emirates.

Learning to drive on the right hand side of the road on the narrow roads of Spain was a challenge because many of the streets are so narrow. Rural France was easier. I don't know my total mileage but I clocked up 1785 miles in the UK - much easier on the left side of the road, but some of the roads in Cornwall were as narrow as Spanish ones.

Coming back to Ronda from the Gibraltar day-trip by the alternative route over the mountains, via Gaucin, was interesting and beautiful, and we found what may be the original "Los Angeles" and "San Francisco" on that route...

LA in Spain.jpg
LA in Spain.jpg (53.43 KiB) Viewed 934 times
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Psyber » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:09 pm

Here is the 3 Euro Gin and Tonic I mentioned above bought in Ronda, Spain.
The other shots are of the Chateau near Tours we stayed in FREE.
:D

G&T 3 Euros.jpg
G&T 3 Euros.jpg (79.15 KiB) Viewed 883 times

Chateau 2.jpg
Chateau 2.jpg (195.45 KiB) Viewed 883 times

Our Room.jpg
Our Room.jpg (173.39 KiB) Viewed 883 times
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times