Gold Coast Holiday....

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: Gold Coast Holiday....

Postby Dutchy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:24 pm

TDK I presume you dont have kids, so why you going up so close to school holidays?

Even with kids we deliberately avoid school holidays cause the parks are empty and you can walk onto any ride.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:11 pm

Dutchy wrote:TDK I presume you dont have kids, so why you going up so close to school holidays?

Even with kids we deliberately avoid school holidays cause the parks are empty and you can walk onto any ride.

Nah mate at 22 kids are a long way off for me, my missus and I choose that weekend because it's after I finish footy and finals are done and dusted if there was any chance me or my team would be involved in them I wouldn't miss out. We were going to go from the 11th to the 17th but 20th is an RDO for me so there's a day of Annual leave I don't have to use.

We thought the dates we choose, 18th to the 24th of September were ideal for our holiday and did make the mistake of not checking when school term 3 ends in Queensland (September 20th- NSW, Vic aswell). We hope we're going to be alright.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dutchy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Fair enough, weirdly the weekends are some of the quietest days in the theme parks as people go up the during the week.

You will have a great time, the new Buzz Saw at Dreamworld was once of the scariest rides Ive been on, but I am getting old!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:14 pm

Dutchy wrote:Fair enough, weirdly the weekends are some of the quietest days in the theme parks as people go up the during the week.

You will have a great time, the new Buzz Saw at Dreamworld was once of the scariest rides Ive been on, but I am getting old!

That's interesting, wouldn't of thought that the weekends are the quietest days there. We're going to Dreamworld on the Thursday, Seaworld on the Saturday and Movieworld on the Monday.

Sure will :D Yeah that does look like an awesome ride, can't wait to sus it out!
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby GWW » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:47 am

I've never been to Queensland before, so I reckon I might check out the AFL fixture for 2014 when its released, and look for a suitable game against the Lions or Suns, and then stay on for an extra week or 2.

Will be sure to check out this thread in months leading up to that, for some advice :)

Hopefully will be able to find some reasonable accommodation on the Gold Coast. As alluded to earlier, I"ll try and stay clear of school holidays if possible.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:07 am

Havnt been to the Gold Coast for over 10 years but my lad is a Suns member and ive promised him ill take him to a home game next year, will wait for the draw and hopefully the Bombers play there next year.
Have been meaning to go back but its just too expensive, we can spend a fortnight in Asia for cheaper than a week on the Gold Coast
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:26 pm

Just touched down here and it is beautiful :D
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Well my Girlfriend and I had an amazing holiday in the Gold Coast, we definitely want to go back there in the next year or two. Its such a beautiful place, I can't talk it up enough, it's paradise and I loved it there. Fantastic place to visit! :D
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Bully » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:43 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Well my Girlfriend and I had an amazing holiday in the Gold Coast, we definitely want to go back there in the next year or two. Its such a beautiful place, I can't talk it up enough, it's paradise and I loved it there. Fantastic place to visit! :D

just run it past a few others on this forum also :D
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:06 am

Bully wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Well my Girlfriend and I had an amazing holiday in the Gold Coast, we definitely want to go back there in the next year or two. Its such a beautiful place, I can't talk it up enough, it's paradise and I loved it there. Fantastic place to visit! :D

just run it past a few others on this forum also :D

Haha, been telling plenty of people I know how good it is up there.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:31 pm

What were the crowds like?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:00 pm

Dutchy wrote:What were the crowds like?

We went to Dreamworld Thursday, when we got there and lined up to get in we were a bit worried but it was great once we got in. The line ups for rides, The Cyclone, Wipeout, the Claw, the Buzzsaw, Tower of Terror were great, hardly waited at all on any of them especially the Buzzsaw as there was hardly anyone on it, was the best ride too. :) Only line ups we had were for the Rocky Hollow Log Ride and Zombie Evilution.

Seaworld Saturday was busier than Dreamworld as it had alot more little kids there but again it was fine, the line ups for rides such as Jet Rescue and Viking Revenge Flume were pretty long but nothing too bad. The Seal and Dolphin show crowds weren't too bad either and even with the amount of kids there the Castaway Bay area of the Park wasn't too busy either. Being big kids me and my girlfriend even went on the Sky Fortress adventure playground. :lol: I certainly expected Seaworld to be busier.

Movieworld Monday was very busy, maybe twice as busy as Dreamworld it seemed. That was the first day of Queensland school holidays. We lined up for Superman Escape for 30 minutes at the very start of the day, went on it and I wanted to go on it a second time so we lined up again for 45 minutes until the line stalled for some reason and being a very impatience couple we cracked the shits big time and stormed off. Went back to Superman at the very end of the day where we lined up for abut 30 minutes. We then went on the Wild West, Green Latern, Batwing Spaceshot and Arkham Asylum where the line ups weren't too bad, probably about 20 mins max on those rides. The line for Scooby Doo was ridiculous, think we waited at least an hour to get on, probably more and that really f**ked us off. We still had heaps of fun there though, wish it wasn't as busy but that's the price we pay, ah well. More line up time ment more SAfooty time for me. 8)
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:08 pm

Thats why we take the kids out of school and go up when no state is on school holidays, walk onto virtually any ride and most of them you can stay on for a 2nd go without getting off. Only issue we get is during winter they close down the odd attraction to give it an annual service, we missed out on the Cyclone and Wild West last year.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:03 pm

I think we'll definitely go on another holiday up there, most probably in October next time.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:27 pm

OK, got a cruise from Brisbane to New Guinea later this year but going to precede it by a night or two on the Gold Coast and a night or two on the Sunshine Coast since the missus has never been to either. I've booked flights into the Gold Coast and out of Brissy the day the ship comes back and will have a car for the first 4 days.
Even personally I haven't been to either for about 17 years so any advice gratfully accepted when it comes to places to stay and pubs to enjoy a beer at.

What I'm thinking is drive out of the Gold Coast Airport and either drive up the coast road from Coolongatta immediately and stay somewhere near Surfers or just go to a place near Coolongatta (or maybe Broadbeach/Burleigh/Palm Beach/Currumbin/etc) and show the missus the rest of the Gold Coast on the drive out.
She doesn't like hustle and bustle nor shops so ideally somewhere near a nice laid back pub which has coast views would be ideal.

Then driving up to the Sunshine Coast, only done day trips up there in the past. Any recommendations when it comes to Noosa, Maroochydore, Caloundra, etc?
Could do 2 separate nights at different places but ideally 2 at a nice place, once again anywhere near a laid back pub with good views would be a bonus. Missus was keen on Australia Zoo but I think I talked her out of that when I said it would be warm and its a lot of walking.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:53 pm

Not a fan of the Gold Coast and reckon it’s highly overrated. When we go up for the footy we usually stay in Brisbane and just go down to the game. If we do stay we prefer Broadbeach over Surfers and the Northcliffe SLC does a good feed with decent views.
Sunshine Coast is far better IMO and Mooloolaba is our go to there. Nice stretch of beaches with plenty of cafes, restaurants and bars. The 4 pines brewery right on the beachfront it pretty decent too
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:36 pm

Jim05 wrote:Not a fan of the Gold Coast and reckon it’s highly overrated. When we go up for the footy we usually stay in Brisbane and just go down to the game. If we do stay we prefer Broadbeach over Surfers and the Northcliffe SLC does a good feed with decent views.
Sunshine Coast is far better IMO and Mooloolaba is our go to there. Nice stretch of beaches with plenty of cafes, restaurants and bars. The 4 pines brewery right on the beachfront it pretty decent too

Agreed about the GC ut the flight there is cheaper than Brissy and the wife has never seen it so just the 1night and yeah just somewhere near a decent surf club will do.
Thanks for the heads up about Mooloolaba as I was considering Noosa, might do a night at each or maybe just a lunch time visit to Noosa now.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dogmatic » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:54 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Not a fan of the Gold Coast and reckon it’s highly overrated. When we go up for the footy we usually stay in Brisbane and just go down to the game. If we do stay we prefer Broadbeach over Surfers and the Northcliffe SLC does a good feed with decent views.

Agreed about the GC ut the flight there is cheaper than Brissy and the wife has never seen it so just the 1night and yeah just somewhere near a decent surf club will do.
Thanks for the heads up about Mooloolaba as I was considering Noosa, might do a night at each or maybe just a lunch time visit to Noosa now.

Alexandra Headland is a nice spot with easy walking distance to 3 surf clubs, Alexandra Headland, Maroochydore and Mooloolaba.
If you are driving and want to get off the freeway the towns of Beerwah, Montville and Eumundi are quite nice.
For every one I miss I am closer to a hole in one.
Dogmatic
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Travel