Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:26 pm

Beyond Resort Khao Lak.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:30 pm

Lebua is my favourite in Bangkok. Upgrade to the Tower club and ask for a room/suite on the higher floors.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:02 pm

I don't get Bangkok except for things being so cheap. But I understand big cities appeal to a lot of people.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3867 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby bennymacca » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:39 am

Wedgie wrote:Made it safely, currently having a few beers but don't thing me and the missus will be going too hard* tonight. Stuffed after putting up with screaming babies on both flights. Parents who take babies or toddlers on OS holidays should be shot!

dont sit near the bulkheads of the plane, even if it means forgoing extra legroom
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:06 pm

I know it doesn't fit the thread title, but it is SE Asia - who's been to Singapore?

Have you visited the Changi Museum? Is it worth it? Would it work arriving at the airport a little early before our departure from Singapore, dropping the bags and then heading to the museum?

I had a lot to do with a POW survivor through my professional career, which (apart from my general interest in history) would make this a part of the trip I'd like to know is worth it before I visit.

We pretty much have the Singapore part of the trip sorted apart from that. Really looking forward to it. Taking the kids to Universal - that's going to be ace.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:20 pm

I have been to singapore and went to the museum. We did it as part of a city tour, and they only gave us maybe an hour which wasnt enough.

Would recommend for someone with an interest

We spent 4 days in Singapore and it was ok. Very clean and safe. If you were recommending Asia to someone who hadn't travelled before thats where i would recommend. 2-3 Days would be enough
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:51 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I know it doesn't fit the thread title, but it is SE Asia - who's been to Singapore?

Have you visited the Changi Museum? Is it worth it? Would it work arriving at the airport a little early before our departure from Singapore, dropping the bags and then heading to the museum?

I had a lot to do with a POW survivor through my professional career, which (apart from my general interest in history) would make this a part of the trip I'd like to know is worth it before I visit.

We pretty much have the Singapore part of the trip sorted apart from that. Really looking forward to it. Taking the kids to Universal - that's going to be ace.

Definitely recommend it, worth atleast 2-3 hours if you are into your history.
Singapore is probably the greatest city on earth to spend a day or two in transit at. I love the place but 3 days is more than enough
Jim05
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:53 am

Back in 2011 we had a 2 day stopover in Singapore. Took the kids to the Singapore Zoo & Universal Studios. Enjoyed the place, a little expensive, but worth a look.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby bennymacca » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Corona Man wrote:Back in 2011 we had a 2 day stopover in Singapore. Took the kids to the Singapore Zoo & Universal Studios. Enjoyed the place, a little expensive, but worth a look.

very much european or australian prices compared with the rest of asia
bennymacca
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:06 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Back in 2011 we had a 2 day stopover in Singapore. Took the kids to the Singapore Zoo & Universal Studios. Enjoyed the place, a little expensive, but worth a look.

very much european or australian prices compared with the rest of asia

Our exchange rate is close to parity. Nothing like other SE Asian countries.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:38 am

Be warned if travelling to Thailand the Chinese are everywhere, not as annoying as Indians and Ruskies but they do have a habit of taking over tourist spots, pools, etc and sleep about 100 to a room. It's a shame but I'll be seriously considering other places in the future and miss out on catching up with mates. Could still easily live here but not sure about visiting.
Only positive is watching them trying to swim in a pool, hard to believe so many of them drown on the beaches! I've seen more coordinated baby giraffes.
I suppose it's the way of the future, didn't see any of them 10 years ago.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jim05 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:11 am

Wedgie wrote:Be warned if travelling to Thailand the Chinese are everywhere, not as annoying as Indians and Ruskies but they do have a habit of taking over tourist spots, pools, etc and sleep about 100 to a room. It's a shame but I'll be seriously considering other places in the future and miss out on catching up with mates. Could still easily live here but not sure about visiting.
Only positive is watching them trying to swim in a pool, hard to believe so many of them drown on the beaches! I've seen more coordinated baby giraffes.

They seriously can’t swim.
Was funny when we were in China recently, we had most of the hotel pools to ourselves and the Chinese that did get in all had floaties or kick boards. Spoke to a couple of instructors at one hotel that was doing classes and they couldn’t believe that my wife and me were that good and when I told them most people in Australia learn to swim at a very young age they were shocked. Most don’t start swimming until they are in their 20’s to 30’s over there
Jim05
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:52 am

The Wife and I went to Bangkok, Pattaya and Koh Samui last year for our Honeymoon. The wife insisted on going to Pattaya just to get a life experience i guess. I actually didn't mind the joint and the people there were easily the best I came across. The place is dead set filthy however- Shit its cheap from eating to shopping. The Chinese are here everywhere and in families too- **** knows why you would take your kids to this place! I've never seen more buses here in my life.

Loved Bangkok! What shocked me the most there was how clean the joint was in the main tourist precedents. It's cleaner than Melbourne and Sydney!
Don't worry I saw the scummy areas too. Shopping there is absolutely insane and so cheap.

Koh Samui I thought was shithouse. Reminded me of a country town on the beach that was overrunned by Indians who are very aggressive for a sale. Cab driver tried to rip us off quite a bit as we were leaving the country. He isn't stupid and thought he'd try to get more coin off us as we weren't going to spend it anywhere else. My wife arked up at him after he wouldn't give us our things and threatened to drive off with our bags. Being Indian he didn't take kindly to women talking to him like that and he was pretty aggressive until I threw him up against the wall and threatened to kick the shit out of him. I'd prefer Seminyak myself any day but that's just me.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 739 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:02 pm

Wedgie wrote:Be warned if travelling to Thailand the Chinese are everywhere, not as annoying as Indians and Ruskies but they do have a habit of taking over tourist spots, pools, etc and sleep about 100 to a room. It's a shame but I'll be seriously considering other places in the future and miss out on catching up with mates. Could still easily live here but not sure about visiting.

I was up at Surfers a few years back with work and saw a Chinese tourist in his early 20's with a bunch of his mates on the beach around 6.30ish when I was going past with my run. He skulls half a long neck of VB and then sprints in to the surf (I wonder what can go wrong). I running back 15 minutes later the same bloke is being revived on the beach by surf life savers. He did survive.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 739 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:12 am

Oh no.
Exactly where we're going to be in 10 days.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... dd815eff1c
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:43 am

Off to the Philippines today and enjoying a few ales in the Melbourne Cathay lounge
Jim05
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:28 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Oh no.

Vietnams been copping it big time lately, worse come to worse hop on a plane to Phuket where the weather was sensational when we were there, took us about 10 days to see any rain.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:48 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Oh no.

Vietnams been copping it big time lately, worse come to worse hop on a plane to Phuket where the weather was sensational when we were there, took us about 10 days to see any rain.

Thanks for the advice. We're in the lucky position that my brother-in-law lives in Hanoi, so we'll just head there earlier than anticipated if the beach resort is problematical. I hope we'll still be able to go - we all know how important it is for tourists to return after something like this.
He's actually working in Danang at the moment, so will have a pretty good idea of what's going on and whether we'll be able to go as anticipated.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Postby Jim05 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:59 pm

In Boracay currently and have to say out of the dozens of trips to Asia we have done this is the best beach resort area we have come across. The beach itself is crystal clear warm water and soft white powdered sand. Food and drink prices are really good as most bars run 4-5 hour happy hours. Pizza and a dozen beers whilst watching the sun go down on the beach set us back about $20. Plenty of decent resorts in the area, we stayed at the Henann Lagoon in a pool access suite which within 6 steps meant we were at the swim up bar which was showing NBA all day. Even beers at the resort were going for $1.50 and 2 for 1 at happy hour. Spent a few days in Palawan also and it was beautiful but a bit more hard work to get to the nice beachesImageImageImageImage
Jim05
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:54 pm

Yep Boracay has the best beach I’ve been to in Asia. The ocean is actually refreshing and not warm as a hot tub.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Travel