Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Postby Corona Man » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:20 pm

Jim05 wrote:In Boracay currently and have to say out of the dozens of trips to Asia we have done this is the best beach resort area we have come across. The beach itself is crystal clear warm water and soft white powdered sand. Food and drink prices are really good as most bars run 4-5 hour happy hours. Pizza and a dozen beers whilst watching the sun go down on the beach set us back about $20. Plenty of decent resorts in the area, we stayed at the Henann Lagoon in a pool access suite which within 6 steps meant we were at the swim up bar which was showing NBA all day. Even beers at the resort were going for $1.50 and 2 for 1 at happy hour. Spent a few days in Palawan also and it was beautiful but a bit more hard work to get to the nice beachesImageImageImageImage

Get into them San Migs... they go alright!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Jim05 wrote:In Boracay currently and have to say out of the dozens of trips to Asia we have done this is the best beach resort area we have come across. The beach itself is crystal clear warm water and soft white powdered sand. Food and drink prices are really good as most bars run 4-5 hour happy hours. Pizza and a dozen beers whilst watching the sun go down on the beach set us back about $20. Plenty of decent resorts in the area, we stayed at the Henann Lagoon in a pool access suite which within 6 steps meant we were at the swim up bar which was showing NBA all day. Even beers at the resort were going for $1.50 and 2 for 1 at happy hour. Spent a few days in Palawan also and it was beautiful but a bit more hard work to get to the nice beachesImageImageImageImage

How much is that a night to stay there?
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Jim05 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:43 pm

Bum Crack wrote:How much is that a night to stay there?

That suite normally goes for about $240 a night but picked it up on Expedia for $173 a night
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby carey » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:00 am

carey wrote:Anyone suggest hotels/resorts to stay at in Bangkok (short stay), Koh Samui and Khoa Lak?

Getting close to looking at booking it all in for the honeymoon.

Cheers lads.

Expect a PM soon Pirate ;)

God I wish it was departure date! (Feb 27)

Less than a month in to a new year and I'm already over it! I'm at the stage where I'm even looking at planes fly over the top and me and just go in to a daze looking at it........... :oops:
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:50 am

carey wrote:
carey wrote:Anyone suggest hotels/resorts to stay at in Bangkok (short stay), Koh Samui and Khoa Lak?

Cheers lads.

Less than a month in to a new year and I'm already over it! I'm at the stage where I'm even looking at planes fly over the top and me and just go in to a daze looking at it........... :oops:

Where are you off to mate?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:25 am

carey wrote:

Cheers lads.

Same.
I work down at the airport aswell which gets me even more depressed as they take off infront of me. My holidays in June to the WC got canned and so now I have to wait until the end of July before heading to Europe :(
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:10 pm

carey wrote:

Cheers lads.

Me just about every day...

Certainly every time I get on a plane for work purposes.... I think, jeez, wish I was dressed in shorts & thongs and heading on holiday.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby carey » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:11 pm

Booney wrote:
carey wrote:

Cheers lads.

Bangkok
Koh Saumi
Koh Lak and
Phuket

26 nights. (2 Daughters fly over with my parents for the last 10 nights, parents aren’t staying with us tho)

Seriously can’t wait!
carey
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:35 pm

carey wrote:
Booney wrote:
carey wrote:

Cheers lads.

Bangkok
Koh Saumi
Koh Lak and
Phuket

26 nights. (2 Daughters fly over with my parents for the last 10 nights, parents aren’t staying with us tho)

Seriously can’t wait!

Sounds awesome! 26 nights! Very jealous, sounds like my dream holiday! Normally I'd tell people not to spread themselves thin over several spots but 26 nights gives you plenty of time to do it! Enjoy mate!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby carey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:54 am

Bangkok - 3 nights
Koh Samui - 6 nights
Koh Lak - 6 nights (Adults only resort) this is were i'll be getting my game on :lol:
Phuket - 11 nights (kids with us the last 10 nights, which to be completely honest I'm looking forward to)
carey
Coach

Postby carey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 am

So if the kind folk on here could help with some 'Do's' and 'Donts' for my trip that would be fantastic. I'm talking about tours, bars, places and sights etc not Trannys and drugs etc I have learnt my own lessons there! :lol: (well not literally!)

Probably don't need any advice on Bangkok as I guess that'll just be a shopping stop especially need some tips on Kho Samui and Kho Lak as I've never been.

26 nights with no red cans :(

Actually on that I'll need beer tips on these venues as well.

Thanks in advance people.
carey
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:01 am

carey wrote:So if the kind folk on here could help with some 'Do's' and 'Donts' for my trip that would be fantastic. I'm talking about tours, bars, places and sights etc not Trannys and drugs etc I have learnt my own lessons there! :lol: (well not literally!)

Probably don't need any advice on Bangkok as I guess that'll just be a shopping stop especially need some tips on Kho Samui and Kho Lak as I've never been.

Bangkok - Use the Sky Train, cheap and quick way to get about. Most of the bigger shopping complexes are on the sky train line anyway. If you get approached by someone in the street suggesting you go the National gemstone place, don't go, it's a scam.

Koh Samui - Chewang is where it all happens, bars, restaurants etc etc. There are plenty of tour operators offering snorkeling day trips and the like. Shop around for the best deal on tours.

Beer - You won't find red tins.... you will find cheap beer. Leo - is possibly the Red Tin equivalent. You can get a Heiniken, Chang, Tiger etc just about anywhere, even in a Pharamcy! I like the San Miguel Lights - kinda Corona-ish if that's you thing. Low Calorie, which is great for us fat blokes.

Koh Lak - I think Boon is your man for tips there.

Enjoy!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:25 am

You staying at Beyond on Khao Lak?

Mrs Boon is at Flight Centre today booking from July 17th 8-10 nights in Phuket and 6-8 in Koh Samui.

Heading over with 3 other couples for one of the chicks 50th's.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby carey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:31 am

Booney wrote:You staying at Beyond on Khao Lak?

Mrs Boon is at Flight Centre today booking from July 17th 8-10 nights in Phuket and 6-8 in Koh Samui.

Certainly am staying at Beyond mate. A little dearer than other places but went with it anyway.
carey
Coach

Postby carey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:32 am

Corona Man wrote:
carey wrote:So if the kind folk on here could help with some 'Do's' and 'Donts' for my trip that would be fantastic. I'm talking about tours, bars, places and sights etc not Trannys and drugs etc I have learnt my own lessons there! :lol: (well not literally!)

Bangkok - Use the Sky Train, cheap and quick way to get about. Most of the bigger shopping complexes are on the sky train line anyway. If you get approached by someone in the street suggesting you go the National gemstone place, don't go, it's a scam.

Koh Samui - Chewang is where it all happens, bars, restaurants etc etc. There are plenty of tour operators offering snorkeling day trips and the like. Shop around for the best deal on tours.

Beer - You won't find red tins.... you will find cheap beer. Leo - is possibly the Red Tin equivalent. You can get a Heiniken, Chang, Tiger etc just about anywhere, even in a Pharamcy! I like the San Miguel Lights - kinda Corona-ish if that's you thing. Low Calorie, which is great for us fat blokes.

Koh Lak - I think Boon is your man for tips there.

Enjoy!

I actually don’t mind Tiger. It’s not to bad.
carey
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:42 am

carey wrote:

Certainly am staying at Beyond mate. A little dearer than other places but went with it anyway.

Brilliant, you will love it mate. Absolutely love it. Head out onto the beach and turn right. Trust the rickety bridge, it held me it will hold you. ;)

Down the beach about 200m to Boom Boom Party Time restaurant, Mrs Carey can get a massage from Lady Gaga and her crew next door as you sink big Singha's ( long necks ) from the ice for about $3 each...!
Attachments
Rickety bridge.jpg
Rickety bridge.jpg (189.66 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:39 am

Oh and don't forget to have the bins looked after while you are away - Pat Pirate can put you in touch with a bloke who specializes in that type of thing - :lol:
Corona Man
Coach

Postby carey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:02 pm

Booney wrote:
carey wrote:

Brilliant, you will love it mate. Absolutely love it. Head out onto the beach and turn right. Trust the rickety bridge, it held me it will hold you. ;)

Down the beach about 200m to Boom Boom Party Time restaurant, Mrs Carey can get a massage from Lady Gaga and her crew next door as you sink big Singha's ( long necks ) from the ice for about $3 each...!

Cheers Boon Your a legend mate.
carey
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:46 am

Pack the golf clubs..
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:30 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Pack the golf clubs..

Possibly. I've never bothered with golf in Koh Samui. Understand there is only one decent course on the island and it's pricey, by Thai standards to play.
Apparently some good courses near Bangkok, I played one which was about half way between Bangkok and Pattaya.
Can't comment on Koh Lak. Mind you 26 days, will need an arvo break from the missus by then!
Corona Man
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Travel