Bali/Phuket

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: Bali/Phuket

Postby Spargo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:08 pm

Corona Man wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:Sitting at my desk at work tidying up a few loose ends before my annual leave begins this arvo.

2 weeks in Bali about to begin!

Nice. Bin man, please take note!

You can both gefugged
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:10 pm

2 months till Phuket. :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Just under 3 months until the Philippines. Palawan and Boracay booked
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Loving Lombok right now and today is Indonesian Independence Day so the place is buzzing.

About to head down to the celebratory buffet...as soon as this long neck is finished.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Loving Lombok right now and today is Indonesian Independence Day so the place is buzzing.

About to head down to the celebratory buffet...as soon as this long neck is finished.

Lombok is awesome, what part are you staying at?
Some of the waterfalls were absolutely amazing and the Gili's are absolutely superb. A lot more laid back and carefree than Bali and far better IMO
Jim05
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:14 am

Jim05 wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:Loving Lombok right now and today is Indonesian Independence Day so the place is buzzing.

Lombok is awesome, what part are you staying at?
Some of the waterfalls were absolutely amazing and the Gili's are absolutely superb. A lot more laid back and carefree than Bali and far better IMO

Sengiggi Beach, off to Gili T tomorrow morning.

We are definitely loving it and laid back is spot on.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Well, another Balinese adventure is over and coming back to cold weather and work is equally as disappointing as each other.

Had a great time and can recommend Lombok to anyone that wants a more relaxed experience. Where we stayed had plenty of restaurants and options for massage/beauty treatments. Not a heap of bars but there is enough to get by. The Sheraton Sengiggi Beach was a real winner.

Spent the last week in Tanjung Benoa at the Grand Mirage Resort with the All Inclusive option. My wallet pretty much stayed in the safe the whole trip as I did 90% of my eating and drinking within the resort. The main street is full of restaurants and bars and everything else you could possibly need.

I would gladly stay at both of these places again.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:23 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Well, another Balinese adventure is over and coming back to cold weather and work is equally as disappointing as each other.

Had a great time and can recommend Lombok to anyone that wants a more relaxed experience. Where we stayed had plenty of restaurants and options for massage/beauty treatments. Not a heap of bars but there is enough to get by. The Sheraton Sengiggi Beach was a real winner.

Spent the last week in Tanjung Benoa at the Grand Mirage Resort with the All Inclusive option. My wallet pretty much stayed in the safe the whole trip as I did 90% of my eating and drinking within the resort. The main street is full of restaurants and bars and everything else you could possibly need.

I stayed at the Sakala back in July, just down the road from the Grand Mirage. What did you think of the "strip" along the beach where all the water sports were and then the "main" street that takes you back to Nusa Dua?

We were a bit hit and miss along there for restaurants, Meads was good for the footy, Coco Express was the pick, Amigos was rubbish.

Only wish we knew about Pirate bay earlier as we would have made that our destination of choice.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:04 pm

Booney wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:Well, another Balinese adventure is over and coming back to cold weather and work is equally as disappointing as each other.

I stayed at the Sakala back in July, just down the road from the Grand Mirage. What did you think of the "strip" along the beach where all the water sports were and then the "main" street that takes you back to Nusa Dua?

We were a bit hit and miss along there for restaurants, Meads was good for the footy, Coco Express was the pick, Amigos was rubbish.

Only wish we knew about Pirate bay earlier as we would have made that our destination of choice.

We went to a place called Black Tom's a couple of times for beers and they showed the EPL on every screen, but generally ate in the resort as we had the all inclusive. The water sports were crazy busy and it looked like a collision to happen. Very busy patch of ocean.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby Dutchy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:33 pm

We have booked the Pullman to stay in Bali, anyone stayed there before?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:52 pm

Dutchy wrote:We have booked the Pullman to stay in Bali, anyone stayed there before?

For memory that’s just across the road from the Mercure and in a really decent spot. Right near the main shopping areas and only a few minutes walk to the beach. In Legian aswell which is better than Kuta so closer to the better part of the beach and restaurants
Jim05
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:33 am

My poor cousin took a late afternoon flight to Bali yesterday.
18 hours later and a flight right around Australia including stopover in Cairns and she's back in Adelaide thanks to the volcano there.
Not even sure why she still goes there anyway after having her jaw broken there by a mugger on her first trip there just crosing the street to her hotel.
With the luck she's had with Bali I'd be trying a new destination if I was here! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jim05 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:53 am

Wedgie wrote:My poor cousin took a late afternoon flight to Bali yesterday.
18 hours later and a flight right around Australia including stopover in Cairns and she's back in Adelaide thanks to the volcano there.
Not even sure why she still goes there anyway after having her jaw broken there by a mugger on her first trip there just crosing the street to her hotel.
With the luck she's had with Bali I'd be trying a new destination if I was here! :lol:

Jetstar?
The most reliable way to Bali is through Garuda even with the volcano as they are the only airline given exclusive access to the military no fly zones. All other airlines have to take the route near the volcano so are at the mercy of the wind direction blowing the ash clouds. Whilst I still love the place there are much better places in Asia but can understand why those with a budget or time restraints choose to go there.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:24 am

Jim05 wrote:

Jetstar?
The most reliable way to Bali is through Garuda even with the volcano as they are the only airline given exclusive access to the military no fly zones. All other airlines have to take the route near the volcano so are at the mercy of the wind direction blowing the ash clouds. Whilst I still love the place there are much better places in Asia but can understand why those with a budget or time restraints choose to go there.

Jetstar or Qantas, every other company is still flying there. Different airline companies have different policies regarding how much ash/smoke can be in the atmosphere before its deemed safe.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jim05 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:33 am

Wedgie wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Jetstar?

Jetstar or Qantas, every other company is still flying there. Different airline companies have different policies regarding how much ash/smoke can be in the atmosphere before its deemed safe.

Yeah, Virgin don’t seem to have nearly as many issues as Jetstar. I know last time we were there all flights from all airlines experienced some delays of anywhere from 2 hours to a day or more. Garuda the exception as they had government exemption to fly the military zones whereas other companies have to pay a tax to fly through these zones.
We generally pay a little extra and use Garuda and have never had one be even 5 minutes late, the last one back to Sydney we flew was even 35 minutes early. They also are a lot more comfortable and friendly. Jetstar is on by banned list for any flights now, absolutely useless
Jim05
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:46 am

KLM and Virgin have now joined Qantas and Jetstar.

Yeah I flew Jetstar once and Qantas once overseas, will not travel on either again.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:25 pm

If anyone is interested in a live stream of Mt Agung, see below -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=islcMmfHHqE
PatowalongaPirate

Postby Dutchy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:54 am

Fly out to Bali 2 weeks today for a 40th, 5 couples with 15 kids (one couple has 5) amongst us, but they ain't coming 8) going to be pretty sweet.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:38 am

Anyone buy a sim card in Bali to use over there? what sort of deals/cost/data do you get?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:52 am

Dutchy wrote:Anyone buy a sim card in Bali to use over there? what sort of deals/cost/data do you get?

Lol, nope, boss got a $350 data bill from my last trip....he made it go away though. ;)

Who you with? I think Optus have something like $5 a day roaming charges.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Travel