A Saharan Crossing

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

A Saharan Crossing

Postby Q. » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:37 pm

The French version of Al Jazeera was on the television so I was only half paying attention to it as I sat with Hajar’s family in their Tiznit home. It was the news ticker that caught my eye though. “Mauritanie” scrolled across the bottom of the screen. I then caught the word “touriste” and finally “mort”. My grasp of the language was far from being fluent, but I knew enough for it to send an alarm bell ringing.

After interrupting the conversation to have it translated for me, I later scoured the internet in search of finer details. As with the visa debacle, it didn’t take long for word to get around various cyber fora. One particular forum, indispensable for anything related to crossing the Sahara, held a vigorous discussion for days. Was it still safe to travel in Mauritania? I filtered in any reasoning that favoured my burning desire to cross the Sahara via the Atlantic Coast and reassuringly relayed it to my partner. With her mind at relative ease we could press on.

It was a long and mostly uncomfortable overnight bus ride into the disputed territory of the Western Sahara, made worse after being placed on broken seats at the very back of the bus (note best would-be Saharan overlanders – get on the bus to Layounne at Agadir, not Tiznit!). On the positive side of things, we arrived in Layounne not long after sunrise, which would give me the entire day to explore the city before catching up on sleep. As it turned out, I probably only needed an hour as there wasn’t really that much to see in Layounne, just a whole lot of concrete and many UN-marked vehicles.

The following morning we found ourselves back at the bus station. It was slightly chaotic – you couldn’t actually buy tickets in advance, they had another ‘system’. I noted the queue of personal paraphernalia lined up on the counter and added my own item to the end of it. Every time a bus rolled up, if people disembarked then those whose item was at the front of the queue would be first in line to get on the departing bus. As my mind grappled with this unfamiliar concept I noticed a young anglo woman (I later told her I firstly thought she was someone’s child, given her small stature and tiny frame) amongst the sea of people and realised I hadn’t seen a fellow tourist for several days.

Lily was from England and, in a rather fortuitous circumstance, was also overlanding through West Africa on her way to Ghana. The harmony was instant and once Lily and my partner found common ground in homeopathy (much to the chagrin of this science graduate and stickler for rigorous statistical evidence) the bond was sealed. The three of us would end up travelling together through West Africa at various stages, parting ways and meeting again several times, until somehow winding up in her family’s home in Totnes. But I digress.

Lily wasn’t the only tourist catching a ride to Dakhla and onward. We also met two Swedish fellas who had done a fair bit of travelling in their time. We’d decided to group together and look for a ride to and across the border. I figured it was also a good time to tell them about that recent event and, in a sadistic kind of way, I was curious to see how they’d react. None of them had heard the news that three Spanish NGO workers had just been kidnapped by the African branch of Al Qaeda on the Nouadhibou-Nouakchott road and then whisked off to remote northern Mali to be used as leverage in some sort of ransom bid.

Lily was as non-plussed as I, but I’d spooked the two Swedes. They insisted we all travel together the entire way to the Senegalese border, safety in numbers, and one of them repeatedly stated ‘”this is not my scene”. I felt a little responsible for their paranoia and attempted to calm them with reason. You see, it is very likely the Spanish NGO workers were specifically targeted, perhaps for political reasons, but definitely because it would have been known they were travelling that road, on that day, and at that particular time. We were just five tourists, our country of origin and immediate travel plans known only by us. Even after explaining that it had never been safer to transit through Mauritania because of the heightened military presence I still doubt they slept well that night in Dakhla.

Our care-free aura must have unnerved them too. We’d reached Nouadhibou the following day and decided to again stay the night, but that next morning the three of us returned from breakfast to find that the two Swedes had packed their bags and left the lodging. I never saw them again, but apparently Lily bumped into one of them at an internet cafe in The Gambia. They came through the Saharan crossing unscathed.

And so did we, which wasn’t a surprise. We did play it safe though and caught a bus packed with locals heading to Nouakchott, the Mauritanian capital. It was a predictably eventless ride down the Atlantic coastline, although there was one moment that I’ll always remember. Around halfway through the 380km ride down the Nouadhibou-Nouakchott road, the locals who had been full of chatter suddenly grew silent and many turned to look at us, the only tourists on the bus. They turned back to their conversations as quickly as they’d stopped, but it was nevertheless an eerie moment to know where we’d just passed.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2397 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: A Saharan Crossing

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:11 am

Amazing! You know how to have an adventure (and write about it afterwards!!)
great story mate. That would have been pretty freaky on the bus there at the end!!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Q. » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Waiting for our ride to the border at a police checkpoint outside of Dakhla, just before sunrise. Was very cold and windy that morning, so windy it was difficult holding the camera straight.

Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:23 pm

And a couple of snaps taken from inside the car on our way to the border.

Q.
Coach

Board index   General Talk  Travel