Tiger Airways ... beware

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: Tiger Airways ... beware

Postby Media Park » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:08 pm

One of my mates are currently coming back from the AFL in Melbourne...

"Currently coming back" because they have rented a car after the 9 hour delay of their Tiger flight... :oops:
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:29 pm

Saw a bus this morning with Tiger still advertising their direct flights to Tassie :roll:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:Saw a bus this morning with Tiger still advertising their direct flights to Tassie :roll:

You missed the fine print, the bus is the actual way they get you there! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby AFLflyer » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:11 pm

my flights (last week) all went according to plan, until we had to check in at the GC, cause we couldnt web check in. They weighed our hand luggage (we only had hand bagage) 9kgs for mine, 10kgs for the missus. we had to check it on and $60 later! would have been fine, if we did web check in (although we were told they weigh all check in bags) - that's bollocks.

moral of the story use web check in.

pretty hard to get under 7kgs when most of the hand luggage weighs atleast 5kg's on their own. Maybe a sports bag is the go.
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Been liked: 3 times

Postby aceman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:39 pm

Have flown Tiger several times mainly to Melbourne, never had a problem.
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Postby A Mum » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:52 pm

Found the check in staff and onflight staff most pleasent when we flew last/this week.
Plane was only 37mins late on departure, and 20mins late on return, which I think was fine.
Especially since a friend of ours had an 8 hour delay with Qantas.

O:)
You get what you give....
A Mum
Coach

Postby Brucetiki » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:39 am

A Mum wrote:Found the check in staff and onflight staff most pleasent when we flew last/this week.
Plane was only 37mins late on departure, and 20mins late on return, which I think was fine.
Especially since a friend of ours had an 8 hour delay with Qantas.

O:)

Tiger's staff are the best out of the 4 airlines IMO. Their check-in staff have a great sense of humour.

Virgin Blue's staff would be a close second.

QANTAS staff only care about their business class/Qantas club passengers and seem to dread dealing with the riff-raff in economy. The less said about Jetstar staff the better.
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby dedja » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:10 pm

Bump ...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/budget-ai ... 6042426415

Budget airline Tiger Airways has cancelled packed pre-Easter flights after the aviation regulator raised serious safety concerns.

A Melbourne-Sydney flight due to leave at 11.50am today has been cancelled, while Melbourne-Brisbane service scheduled to leave at 6.15am today was cancelled earlier this morning, reports says.

Both were booked to near capacity.

A Tiger spokeswoman apologised, saying only that Tiger's decision had been made for "operational reasons".

The development comes after the Civil Aviation Safety Authority threatened to ground Tiger over serious safety and maintenance breaches.

In a bombshell for the struggling airline industry, the CASA issued Tiger with a "show cause" notice on March 23, asking why it should not suspend its licence.

The regulator wants urgent answers amid concerns pilot training standards slipped and there were short cuts on maintenance and other operations.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:49 pm

tiger is a disgrace!!! will never evvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeer book with them.... rather pay extra
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:21 pm

today is one of the most busiest day of the year for airports and to cancel at such short notice is appalling
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:40 am

A real pity. Ive used tiger probably close to 100 times to go watch essendon in melbourne and ive only had a couple delayed and that was by 15-20 minutes max. Found their staff excellant. Hope they get their stuff sorted out and get flying again soon.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Bully » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:50 am

cheap and nasty. I have never flown with them and never will. Boarded a virign plane in syd 2 weeks ago to return to Brisbane and there was a tiger flight arriving before my flight on virgin left the same gate. The tiger plane was 45 minutes late, they took 1 hour to board the flight and that made my flight 1 hour and a half late. And they had apparently double booked tickets on a full flight so as they made the last call someone who had boarded 20 mins before came walking up the bridge crying saying they had double booked her and she would never fly with them again,
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby dedja » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:05 pm

Doh, my missus booked a return flight to Melbourne with them for late June ... maybe would have folded by then? :-s
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:25 am

dedja wrote:Doh, my missus booked a return flight to Melbourne with them for late June ... maybe would have folded by then? :-s

might get lucky

she might get over there and the collapse whilst shes there ;)
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Brucetiki » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:02 pm

Jim05 wrote:A real pity. Ive used tiger probably close to 100 times to go watch essendon in melbourne and ive only had a couple delayed and that was by 15-20 minutes max. Found their staff excellant. Hope they get their stuff sorted out and get flying again soon.

Same. Used them many times, of which twice I haven't been given an exit row seat and only once the flight was delayed by 90 minutes.

Still, I feel nervous booking with them because of their reputation.
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby Brucetiki » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Bulldog wrote:cheap and nasty. I have never flown with them and never will. Boarded a virign plane in syd 2 weeks ago to return to Brisbane and there was a tiger flight arriving before my flight on virgin left the same gate. The tiger plane was 45 minutes late, they took 1 hour to board the flight and that made my flight 1 hour and a half late. And they had apparently double booked tickets on a full flight so as they made the last call someone who had boarded 20 mins before came walking up the bridge crying saying they had double booked her and she would never fly with them again,

I'm surprised Virgin didn't simply switch gates for your flight. The other week, flew Virgin to Melbourne, but plane due to go before mine arrived was delayed, so they moved us to another gate (albeit at the other end of the terminal - good exercise though).
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby the big bang » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:57 pm

used Tiger about 20 times. never had a problem. latest we've ever been is 10 minutes.
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Been liked: 9 times

Postby Bully » Mon May 09, 2011 8:35 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Bulldog wrote:cheap and nasty. I have never flown with them and never will. Boarded a virign plane in syd 2 weeks ago to return to Brisbane and there was a tiger flight arriving before my flight on virgin left the same gate. The tiger plane was 45 minutes late, they took 1 hour to board the flight and that made my flight 1 hour and a half late. And they had apparently double booked tickets on a full flight so as they made the last call someone who had boarded 20 mins before came walking up the bridge crying saying they had double booked her and she would never fly with them again,

I'm surprised Virgin didn't simply switch gates for your flight. The other week, flew Virgin to Melbourne, but plane due to go before mine arrived was delayed, so they moved us to another gate (albeit at the other end of the terminal - good exercise though).

not when all other gates are full and have other flights on them.
Bully
Coach

Been liked: 120 times

Postby Brucetiki » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:53 am

Tiger's licence suspended by CASA

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/travel/ne ... 6086032733

Given the state of some of the Jetstar planes I've been on, I wonder how long before Jetstar follows suit.
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby Banker » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:20 am

Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

PreviousNext