Honeymoon/Holiday

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Honeymoon/Holiday

Postby the big bang » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:41 pm

As a few of you may know, i popped the question to my missus while in Vegas earlier this year. Now, we've started looking at planning the wedding, which will most likely be around late 2012/early 2013 (if the world dosnt end when they say it will! ;) )

what me and mrs bang are hoping to do, is have around about a month for a honeymoon/holiday. our lad will be turning 6 in January 2013, so what we're hoping to do is go somewhere for a few nights by ourselves for the Honeymoon portion of the trip, then my younger sister will be meeting up with us, bring the gromit with her, and be with us for the rest of the 3 or so week holiday.

we're pretty keen on Fiji for the Honeymoon part, but then we're split between headed back to the US or going to Europe for the holiday. We plan on doing both places in our lives, but basically we'll probably settle on the cheaper option, as we'll have just payed for our wedding aswell, and we'll be paying for 3 of us (me, mrs bang and the lad)

what we want......

USA: a bit of time in LA/Anaheim (and maybe San Fran), Vegas, NYC, Miami. and if time permits, Hawaii. a friend of mine also suggested doing a cruise from LA down to Mexico for a week or so, but havnt looked into that yet.

EUROPE: Germany, Italy and France are on top of the list. Havnt really looked at anywhere else though, and am open to suggestions.

Will look at hiring a car/campervan if it ends up being cheaper, and also will probably get to see alot of places we never would have otherwise gone.

sooooooooooooooo............shoot guys. open to all suggestions on where to go/what to do for as cheap as possible, and any money saving tips too! keeping in mind there will be myself, mrs bang, bang jr (aged around 6) and sister of bang.

cheers!
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Honeymoon/Holiday

Postby JAS » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:09 am

You might want to bear in mind that it's mid winter here at the top end of the planet around the time your talking about so a campervan type holiday might not be the most comfortable way to go.

In northern Europe I guess ski resorts, although pricey, would have the most outdoor 'things to do'. Most attractions in cities would probably be open but things like castles, stately homes, museums etc are often on limited hours and some are even closed for the winter.

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Sploosh » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:40 pm

After the Fiji part, how long will you have? 2 weeks?
Sploosh
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby the big bang » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:46 pm

Sploosh wrote:After the Fiji part, how long will you have? 2 weeks?

as long as possible! at least two weeks, hopefully 3.
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Postby Dirko » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:55 pm

Right Banger.

First off. Fiji is a cool spot, BUT, getting from Fiji to Europe is a hell of a flight. You can fly with Air Pacific from Nadi to LA direct no worries, so personally that's what I'd look at unless you wanted to fly from Nadi to Hong Kong and then catch a flight to your Europe destination.

Have you thought about Honeymooning in Mauritius, and then from there going to direct to Paris ?

Mauritius is really cool ! 8)
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby the big bang » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:28 pm

SJABC wrote:Right Banger.

First off. Fiji is a cool spot, BUT, getting from Fiji to Europe is a hell of a flight. You can fly with Air Pacific from Nadi to LA direct no worries, so personally that's what I'd look at unless you wanted to fly from Nadi to Hong Kong and then catch a flight to your Europe destination.

Have you thought about Honeymooning in Mauritius, and then from there going to direct to Paris ?

Mauritius is really cool ! 8)

was hoping you'd jump in here somewhere.

hadn't given mauritius any thought............since i had to do a project on the Dodo Bird back in year 3.

Nadi to LA is what we did earlier this year, and honestly, my preference is to go back to the US, coz we didnt take the gromit last time because he was only 3, and we thought he woulda been too young, but while we were there, we wished we'd taken him because he woulda loved absolutely everything we did! so next time we go, if it is for the honeymoon, he'll be around 6ish, and love it even more. but if Europe was gunna be heaps cheaper, i wouldnt mind going there instead.
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Postby Dirko » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:35 am

the big bang wrote:but if Europe was gunna be heaps cheaper, i wouldnt mind going there instead.

No chance. If the tacker is travelling with you, you need half decent accommodation, and that's expensive, especially in Paris / Rome (unless you stay a fair way out of the city).

Also need to keep in mind that the US Dollar is still reasonably good compared to the Euro.

The Euro is around .67 compared to the US at .88

BUT, you've just been to the States, and I personally run a rule, that I/we wait for at least three years before returning to the same spot.

So I'd go for Europe :lol:
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Board index   General Talk  Travel