FIJI

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

FIJI

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:26 pm

Me and the missus are planning a trip to Fiji this year

Who has travelled there?

Do's and Dont's?

We are looking for 5 star accomodation also, any suggestions?

What time of year is best to travel there?
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Re: FIJI

Postby Q. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:36 pm

Do bring back two kilos of kava-kava for me ;)
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby The Riddler » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:14 pm

Footy Smart wrote:Me and the missus are planning a trip to Fiji this year

Who has travelled there?

Do's and Dont's?

We are looking for 5 star accomodation also, any suggestions?

What time of year is best to travel there?

Me and the wife went there in November a couple months ago, we loved it and will definately head back over soon possibly with some friends.

We stayed here http://www.westin.com.au/fiji/
It's only 20 mins from the airport and about 2 mins from the marina + it has it's own private island :D ...it connects with about 5 or 6 other 5 star resorts of which you can walk to each and use their facilities if you wish.

We didn't venture into Suva as we didn't need too everything we needed or wanted was at the resort or at the marina. The resort puts on cultural shows, kava tasting & you book all your adventures through them.

DO try Kava :D
There's nothing I wouldn't do in Fiji but I did hear the people in Suva can be pushy when selling things......The people however in general were amazing, I've never met a more friendlier race, not 1 person will walk past without saying hello.

It wasn't as cheap as what we thought though, if you're looking for a Bali/Thailand type holiday this isn't it.

As I said we went in November and the weather was awesome.

You'll love it & have a ball FS ;)
The Riddler
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:49 pm

Thanks heaps Riddler, that look exactly what i was picturing in my head. (PM on the way)

Quichey there wont be any shortage in my luggage :lol: ill spot ya some
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Quichey wrote:Do bring back two kilos of kava-kava for me ;)

Is this legal? :shock: ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Q. » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Quichey wrote:Do bring back two kilos of kava-kava for me ;)

Is this legal? :shock: ;)

At the time I last researched, two kilograms of kava was the maximum quantity an individual could bring into the country.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby BIG SEXY » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:49 pm

wife and i looking at heading over in october for 10th anniversary. what sort of activities are available?
car 777 2010 class 7 state champions!
BIG SEXY
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:34 pm

well just got back from Fiji and stayed at the Westin and loved it... fantastic resort and a fantastic country full of friendly people (Indians can be a tad pushy) every single person you walk past says hello with a big smile on their face! the Riddler summed it up perfectly in his post above. We cant wait to go back! not a cheap cheap holiday but value for money is there for sure.

couldnt have asked for anything more.
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:29 am

LOVE FIJI

We went 4 years ago in November, we stayed at the Shangri La hotel which was a 15 minute taxi from Sigatoka, when we went over there were some safety issues so we didnt venture to Suva but apparently we werent missing anything, we spent a mixture of time on the resort as well as travelling to Nadi and Sigatoka, did a whole heap of tours that were amazing.

The fijians were amazing, wasnt as impressed with the indians who were very arrogant and rude.

Great holiday and would love to take my 2 girls there for them to experience.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby wycbloods » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:44 am

Howdy everyone and anyone.

I am looking at going to fiji for new years this year with our 3 kids who will be 4 1/2 and 2 3 year olds. As well as two other couples with their kids. Anyone stayed anywhere in Fiji with young kids and what would you recommend for 3 blokes to do whilst we are there?

We are hoping to get a couple of rounds of golf in whilst there and spend a few days around the pool with the kids whilst the girls have some leisure time.

Any reccommendations would be appreciated.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jnr.

CoverKing said what?

Agree with AF on this one!
wycbloods
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:59 am

wycbloods wrote:Howdy everyone and anyone.

I am looking at going to fiji for new years this year with our 3 kids who will be 4 1/2 and 2 3 year olds. As well as two other couples with their kids. Anyone stayed anywhere in Fiji with young kids and what would you recommend for 3 blokes to do whilst we are there?

We are hoping to get a couple of rounds of golf in whilst there and spend a few days around the pool with the kids whilst the girls have some leisure time.

We stayed at the Shangri La Resort which was a family orientated resort. Had the pools, the kid adventures such as snorkelling, kids shows etc etc but also had a magnificent golf course, jet ski etc etc that the adults could still enjoy.
whufc
Coach

FIJI

Postby test » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:00 am

For 3 blokes that want a night away you can't beat beachcomber island ;) its a backpacker island, we were in Fiji for a wedding and had the bucks show there, it didn't disappoint!
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby wycbloods » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:51 pm

whufc wrote:

We stayed at the Shangri La Resort which was a family orientated resort. Had the pools, the kid adventures such as snorkelling, kids shows etc etc but also had a magnificent golf course, jet ski etc etc that the adults could still enjoy.

Did you have kids when you went there WHUFC? There are some mixed reports on the Shangri La Resort. Many families have said it wasn't the greatest but most of the couples have said they like it.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jnr.

CoverKing said what?

wycbloods
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:59 pm

wycbloods wrote:
whufc wrote:

Did you have kids when you went there WHUFC? There are some mixed reports on the Shangri La Resort. Many families have said it wasn't the greatest but most of the couples have said they like it.

no was on honeymoon made kids instead.

they didnt have massive things for the kids but definatly enough to keep the kids occupied including a creche facility.
whufc
Coach

Postby wycbloods » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:08 pm

whufc wrote:
wycbloods wrote:
whufc wrote:

no was on honeymoon made kids instead.

they didnt have massive things for the kids but definatly enough to keep the kids occupied including a creche facility.

At the travel expo yesterday met the travel with kidz group and they recommended the shangri la for young families so we will be looking into this more.

CoverKing said what?

wycbloods
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:59 am

Yeah definatly family friendly including all the bars and restaraunts.

Let us know how you go, we absolutly love it their and of their outdoor bars had the best view in fiji imho.
whufc
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:22 am

At the airport now 8)
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1205 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Smashed Crab » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:10 am

Last week we booked 10 nights at Shangri-La all inclusive package for this April school holidays. Taking our 4 & 5 year olds. Pricey but we've been told its good. My misso is Gluten intolerant and their food is clearly labelled by all reports so that's comforting for her, its unfortunately what puts us of Bali as they don't seem to understand it (7 years ago). The kids club is exciting for us to be able to drop them off for half the day and go relax. Looking forward to swinging the golf sticks, haven't done so for too many years (been meaning too now were settled into our new house and my job is enabling more time at home instead of away).

Only tour we've looked at and booked is eco trax. But with inclusive drinking only avail from 12-9 I'll need to cram some stuff in with the kids before midday, plenty of short tours, mini golf and snorkelling.

Is there anything else worth seeing around the area?

Cheers
Smashed Crab
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:45 am

Smashed Crab wrote:Last week we booked 10 nights at Shangri-La all inclusive package for this April school holidays. Taking our 4 & 5 year olds. Pricey but we've been told its good. My misso is Gluten intolerant and their food is clearly labelled by all reports so that's comforting for her, its unfortunately what puts us of Bali as they don't seem to understand it (7 years ago). The kids club is exciting for us to be able to drop them off for half the day and go relax. Looking forward to swinging the golf sticks, haven't done so for too many years (been meaning too now were settled into our new house and my job is enabling more time at home instead of away).

Only tour we've looked at and booked is eco trax. But with inclusive drinking only avail from 12-9 I'll need to cram some stuff in with the kids before midday, plenty of short tours, mini golf and snorkelling.

Is there anything else worth seeing around the area?

Cheers

Can do a half day South Sea Island Cruise. From memory you can depart Denarau around 9am and be back by midday. It's only about 30min fast Cat ride from the port. Swimming, snorkelling, under water sub, hammocks and even a pool on the island. The island wouldn't be much bigger than Glenelg Oval.

But about an hour drive from where you are staying, reckon Shangri la is Coral Coast?
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1205 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Board index   General Talk  Travel