Country Count

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: Country Count

Postby Alaska » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:06 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:
Q. wrote:Haven't seen enough of Oz and would love to get in a 4WD and travel the whole coast.

Yep, same. I'm going to park that adventure for when I'm a bit older and washed up and less capable of snowboarding for 5 days straight.

Pretty keen to do it Malcolm douglas style - decent boat behind a troopy and just rough it bush style.

I agree I have recently bought the4WD to begin using that LSL with a trip to the Kimberly starting next year.
Note. Do not underestimate the costs of outfitting the 4WD, to do the job properly. If buying second hand look for some of the bits to be already onboard.
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby MagicKiwi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:42 pm

28 and will be 29 in April.
Red (and White)
Red (Backs)
All (Blacks)
MagicKiwi
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:52 pm

Alaska wrote:I agree I have recently bought the4WD to begin using that LSL with a trip to the Kimberly starting next year.
Note. Do not underestimate the costs of outfitting the 4WD, to do the job properly. If buying second hand look for some of the bits to be already onboard.

Yeah, that another reason for me delaying. Taking even the toughest, most well kitted 4X4 along the Gibb River road or up to Cape Leveque for example is no guarantee you won't need massively costly repairs. Those places beat your car to shit, but are some of the most beautiful in the world.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby pels » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:00 am

devilsadvocate wrote:
Alaska wrote:I agree I have recently bought the4WD to begin using that LSL with a trip to the Kimberly starting next year.

Yeah, that another reason for me delaying. Taking even the toughest, most well kitted 4X4 along the Gibb River road or up to Cape Leveque for example is no guarantee you won't need massively costly repairs. Those places beat your car to shit, but are some of the most beautiful in the world.

That is something I definitely wanna do, watched a Malcolm Douglas doco with him driving that road and it was awesome.
Definitely need to be very well prepared and probably have do the trip with another 4wd
pels
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 7 times

Postby Dirko » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:30 am

devilsadvocate wrote:Where will you be visiting?

We've got the three kids with us, so slightly limited to the excursions.

On the to do list are Mount Kinabalu, Poring Hot Springs, Sepilok (Orang-utan sanctuary), Sandakan & North Borneo Railway.

Am hoping to get to Turtle Island for a dive if time permits, but there are a few decent spots ex KK for a dive too....

Should be fun!
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:58 am

pels wrote:
devilsadvocate wrote:

That is something I definitely wanna do, watched a Malcolm Douglas doco with him driving that road and it was awesome.
Definitely need to be very well prepared and probably have do the trip with another 4wd

I drove it last August in a hire 4WD. All I'll say is TAKE 2 SPARE TYRES! Plus, know your tyre pressures!!!

Also - Never, ever, EVER buy an ex rental 4X4 :lol: :lol:
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:27 pm

Gingernuts wrote:15 for me - including Wales and Scotland though, so 13 if you count the UK as 1 country.

Try telling a welshman or a scotsmen their from the same country! :shock:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Gingernuts » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:17 am

whufc wrote:
Gingernuts wrote:15 for me - including Wales and Scotland though, so 13 if you count the UK as 1 country.

Try telling a welshman or a scotsmen their from the same country! :shock:

Yes, that's why I count them! After travelling to both I would regard them as seperate personally.
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby Pat Malone » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:08 pm

I've done 29 countries, spending a total of 20 months abroad. Planning a 6 month trip later this year which will take me to Central America and down the West African coast.

For those who ever want any info on the following, I should be able to help you out-

New Zealand (2 weeks)
UK - England, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Ireland (2 months)
Europe - France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Switzerland (3 months)
Asia - Japan, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos (11 months)
Central America - US, Mexico, Panama (2 months)
South America - Colombia, Brazil, Ecuador, Peru, Argentina (2 months)
Pat Malone
Under 16s

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:14 pm

15 for me, but 17 in a month - heading to China and South Korea. Taking two cruises, one from Tianjin just to Jeju Island in South Korea. Then the bullet train from Tianjin to Shanghai and another cruise - visiting Seoul as well as a repeat visit to Jeju Island. Was supposed to be just the one cruise but our ship got redeployed so we booked two shorter ones.
Also going to spend a few nights in Shanghai, Beijing and Sinapore.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:02 am

Up to 28 at present, that'll become 35 within the next few weeks though with a couple trips over to the continent lined up for June and July.
''I can't think back to a time where Australia have been so convincingly beaten'' - Mark Taylor in regards to the 2010/11 Ashes series.
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:26 am

Jim05 wrote:
devilsadvocate wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Currently sitting at 44 but if i count Scotland, Wales, England and Northern Ireland as seperate that would give me 47.
Havnt been to the America's, Africa or any Pacific countries yet.
Helps doing a Contiki tour through most of Western Europe.
Doing most of South America for 2016 WC

2014 WC or 2016 Olympics?

I'm hoping to get to Brazil, Argentine, Uruguay, Chile and Peru for the 2014 WC.

Oops typo, 2014 WC mate.
Yes looking to do the countries you have listed. A friend has just come back from working in Colombia and it sounds awesome aswell.

Same here lads, the aim is Brazil (obviously) Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Peru and maybe Bolivia and Praguay as well depending on time, where matches are played etc.

Have you guys got much of a plan of attack yet? Been running up some flights recently to get more of an idea of the costs and it's a lot different to Europe or Asia, could be facing €350-€450 for some one way flights between cities once in South America :?
''I can't think back to a time where Australia have been so convincingly beaten'' - Mark Taylor in regards to the 2010/11 Ashes series.
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:06 pm

Have looked into and started planning. Appears very expensive to travel.
Off to Thailand and China in a couple of weeks then when I get home im going to really get stuck into it.
May go with a tour group to the World Cup and then head off on my own afterwards
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Mic » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:25 pm

Hong Kong, England, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy, Vatican City, Switzerland, Scotland, Japan, Singapore, China, Malaysia, Macau, Taiwan, USA, Mexico, Canada, Ireland, Vietnam, Thailand.....and Australia - 24.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:57 am

1 - Australia 8)

Never had an inkling to travel overseas, with the exception of Antarctica.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby saintal » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:00 am

Only 3. Singapore (albeit just 1 night), Thailand and New Zealand. Looking at going o/seas again early next year. China, Vietnam or the US the likely options.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Farbs » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:55 am

21 for me (Singapore, England, Ireland, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy, Vatican City, Switzerland, Indonesia, Thailand, USA, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Haiti, Jamaica), 22 incl Oz...love to increase that by going to World Cup in Brazil next year and some more of South America.
I'm proud of you fellas. You all kept your head on a swivel, and that's what you gotta do when you find yourself in a vicious cock fight!
Farbs
Under 18s

Has liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby valleys07 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Europe- Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Croatia
Central America- US
Asia- Japan
Indonesia- Sinagpore, Bali

Australia (obviously) and The Pacific Islands also, with a desire to travel to NZ in the next few years.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bennymacca » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:36 pm

Old post, but starting to get excited about travelling again so ill revive it

Malaysia
Singapore
England x2
Scotland
France
Monaco
Spain
Italy
Vatican City
Switzerland
Germany x2
Czech Republic
Netherlands
Japan (in a couple of weeks)

Thought I was going ok but not after reading some of the other posts, i still have a fair way to go.

In terms of seeing more of australia - I figure i can do that when i am older. I am planning on buying a caravan and just travelling for a year or two when i retire :D
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:19 pm

bennymacca wrote:Old post, but starting to get excited about travelling again so ill revive it

Malaysia
Singapore
England x2
Scotland
France
Monaco
Spain
Italy
Vatican City
Switzerland
Germany x2
Czech Republic
Netherlands
Japan (in a couple of weeks)

Thought I was going ok but not after reading some of the other posts, i still have a fair way to go.

In terms of seeing more of australia - I figure i can do that when i am older. I am planning on buying a caravan and just travelling for a year or two when i retire :D

Have a great trip to Japan, Benny. Loved it there a few years back, but did not make it to Kyoto - still on bucket list.

For me, number of countries would be somewhere in the 30's I think - 12 cruises in the past four years have helped!! Third cruise to NZ coming up in January, then Alaska in July. Still want to see more of Europe and do a Russia river cruise.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Travel