New York

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

New York

Postby FattyLumpkin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Thinking of going next May (actually I want to go next Nov - NCAA b'ball & footy overlap, but my wife evidently gets 2 votes to my 1???)

Pearl & Pitfalls of NY? Where to stay? what are must do's? Is it worth a train trip & coupla days in Washington? etc etc

Ta.
With your hands on your head, or the trigger of your gun
FattyLumpkin
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Ports

Re: New York

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:29 am

Pag is there as we speak,he'll probably update us all when he gets back..
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:04 am

FattyLumpkin wrote:Thinking of going next May (actually I want to go next Nov - NCAA b'ball & footy overlap, but my wife evidently gets 2 votes to my 1???)

Pearl & Pitfalls of NY? Where to stay? what are must do's? Is it worth a train trip & coupla days in Washington? etc etc

Ta.

best place ive ever visited and i'd go as far to say the best place on earth, just my opinion :D
i went in january 2011... Bit chilly but i prefer to travel then anyways...
I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Time Square.. 1 block from TS.... Short walk to central park... Make sure you bring your walking shoes, best way to see the place... Make sure you go to MSG..

I also tood the train to DC, highly recomend it...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby FattyLumpkin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Ta. Accom sorted via airbnb websit. Anyone used em before? Saving $800 in accom & the on line reviews of our accom is good.

Walking tours are all the go. Will do a couple at least. What about Top of the Rock, Emp State & Stat of Liberty. How do I avoid queues? The met seems straightforward. Any traps for the unwary.

At this stage looking at day tips to both Boston & Washington. Red sox & Indians both in town during our stay, but ticket prices suggest I'll be watching Cleveland at Yankee Stadium.
With your hands on your head, or the trigger of your gun
FattyLumpkin
League Bench Warmer

Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:23 am

FattyLumpkin wrote:Ta. Accom sorted via airbnb websit. Anyone used em before? Saving $800 in accom & the on line reviews of our accom is good.

Walking tours are all the go. Will do a couple at least. What about Top of the Rock, Emp State & Stat of Liberty. How do I avoid queues? The met seems straightforward. Any traps for the unwary.

At this stage looking at day tips to both Boston & Washington. Red sox & Indians both in town during our stay, but ticket prices suggest I'll be watching Cleveland at Yankee Stadium.

best view in town....
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby blink » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:07 pm

FattyLumpkin wrote:. What about Top of the Rock, Emp State & Stat of Liberty. How do I avoid queues? The met seems straightforward. Any traps for the unwary.

Do the Top of the Rock during the day and Empire State at night - that way you'll come across smaller queues. Statue of Liberty overrated I thought, I personally wouldn't bother heading out there again - but I guess worth it if it's your first time.

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Get a Metro card and utilise the subway to get around, it's amazing!

Also do a bike tour of Central Park - best way to take in the majority of the park. Walking around to all areas would take days!
blink
League - Best 21

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:53 pm

blink wrote:
FattyLumpkin wrote:. What about Top of the Rock, Emp State & Stat of Liberty. How do I avoid queues? The met seems straightforward. Any traps for the unwary.

Do the Top of the Rock during the day and Empire State at night - that way you'll come across smaller queues. Statue of Liberty overrated I thought, I personally wouldn't bother heading out there again - but I guess worth it if it's your first time.

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Get a Metro card and utilise the subway to get around, it's amazing!

Also do a bike tour of Central Park - best way to take in the majority of the park. Walking around to all areas would take days!

When i went i didn't bother goin to the island it's on, just went on the staten island ferry, it's free and you get a great view of the statue and a good view of the city...
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Pag » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:45 pm

I spent 10 days there last month, my 2c...

*Top of the Rock view way better than ESB. Central Park on one side, and the majority of the skyine (including the ESB) on the other)
*$29 MetroCard for 7-day unlimited. Didn't need one cab.
*Walk quickly or you will get trampled.
*Central Park is good, but don't neglect other parks (Bryant & Washington Square especially)
*Make sure you walk the Brooklyn Bridge.
*See Times Square once, maybe twice if you really want, take it all in, then avoid it. Too busy and full of tourists. Other neighbourhoods are far more down-to-earth and genuinely NY. East Village and Hell's Kitchen were two of my favs.

I took a food tour on my second day in NYC, and got a list of other quality and inexpensive restaurants of different cuisines. I still have the list, and ate at most of the venues, PM me if you want some ideas. The best burger I'd eaten in my life was on this list, same for pizza.

Enjoy the best city in the world (IMO), New Yorkers passion for their city is like no other place on Earth.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Freo HeaveHo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:11 am

Hey Pag.

Just seen some of your posts on the New York thread.

Me and the missus are heading over to the US dec 21 to Jan 25 . What cities have you been to ? im off to go over our quote with the travel agent today. at this stage we are doing LA , toronto over xmas , new york for a week over New years , miami , cancun and vegas.

We are stayin at the hotel Beacon in NY which is just near central park. My main concern is safety . im pretty oblivious to the areas to steer clear of other than obvious ie harlem , brooklyn. Is the subway okay to use at night or would you steer clear of it. biggest concern is getting to and from hotel and times square for the ball drop as its obviously going to be chaos !

Any suggestions for good places to eat.

We are only booking our return flights and accomodation in NY at this stage and waiting for the NBA schedule to come out to try and fit in games that i wanna see. Im so pumped , this year cant end quick enough.

Any advice / do and donts would be muchly appreciated .

cheers mate
Freo HeaveHo
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Freo HeaveHo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Whoops that was meant to be a PM
Freo HeaveHo
Reserves

Postby Failed Creation » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:53 am

Freo HeaveHo wrote:Hey Pag.

Just seen some of your posts on the New York thread.

Me and the missus are heading over to the US dec 21 to Jan 25 . What cities have you been to ? im off to go over our quote with the travel agent today. at this stage we are doing LA , toronto over xmas , new york for a week over New years , miami , cancun and vegas.

We are stayin at the hotel Beacon in NY which is just near central park. My main concern is safety . im pretty oblivious to the areas to steer clear of other than obvious ie harlem , brooklyn. Is the subway okay to use at night or would you steer clear of it. biggest concern is getting to and from hotel and times square for the ball drop as its obviously going to be chaos !

Any suggestions for good places to eat.

We are only booking our return flights and accomodation in NY at this stage and waiting for the NBA schedule to come out to try and fit in games that i wanna see. Im so pumped , this year cant end quick enough.

Any advice / do and donts would be muchly appreciated .

cheers mate

Hey mate, I know this was meant to be a PM for Pag, but if you're heading to Toronto, get on a VIA rail train for 4 hours and head to Ottawa, Canada's capital city. It's my favourite place in the world. Treat yourself to a Beavertail at the Byward Market, and take a tour of Parliament Hill, where you can get stunning views from the Peace Tower.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Freo HeaveHo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:19 pm

Cheers mate .... the more advice and opinions we get the better . The other half is planning most of it . Im pretty keen to check out the attractions in most the cities, but mainly looking forward to the sport. Get to as many NBA games as possible, check out the hockey and hopefully catch a few gigs while we are there too. Sport , Music , Booze , and gambling. What more does a man need !
Freo HeaveHo
Reserves

Postby Freo HeaveHo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:35 pm

What are your opinions on Harlem and The bronx. Im keen to experience all parts of the city. Obviously you dont have to be a rocket scientist to know not to wander around there at night. But im really keen to go and have a look at Rucker Park. I was obsessed with the movie Rebound when i was younger, ive watched it a million times. Is it okay to walk around during the day ? I know this is gonna sound really racist . But a white tourist with his GF , is that asking for trouble ? Or should i just book a tour ?
Freo HeaveHo
Reserves

Postby mighty hounds » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:34 pm

Looking forward to New York in November. I spend the last 8 days of my trip there!
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Freo HeaveHo wrote:What are your opinions on Harlem and The bronx. Im keen to experience all parts of the city. Obviously you dont have to be a rocket scientist to know not to wander around there at night. But im really keen to go and have a look at Rucker Park. I was obsessed with the movie Rebound when i was younger, ive watched it a million times. Is it okay to walk around during the day ? I know this is gonna sound really racist . But a white tourist with his GF , is that asking for trouble ? Or should i just book a tour ?

I'm not a religious person by any means, however if I ever ventured down that way, I'd be very keen to go to one of their church services...they'd go off!
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:16 pm

Are there any places that show AFL in New York? I'm flying out Sunday morning for a couple of weeks, also taking in Cancun, Miami,Vegas and LA.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Pag » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:33 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Are there any places that show AFL in New York? I'm flying out Sunday morning for a couple of weeks, also taking in Cancun, Miami,Vegas and LA.
The Australian Bar is on W38th St, watched the Boxing Day test there last Xmas and did a decent feed too.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:46 pm

If anyone is considering travel to the US, Canada or South America then get to the Entertainment Centre tomorrow. The Discover the Americas Expo is on between 10am-4pm. It's a great chance to save a bucket load on flights, tours etc.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby the big bang » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:34 pm

hey guys, qucik question. my missus just won us a trip to NY, never been. we're only there for 4 days, of which we only have one and a half days to do what we want. sounds like Top of the Rock is a goer, but in a time limit of a day and a half, what would you recommend we CANNOT miss?
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby smac » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:33 pm

All of it. Extend by a week at least!

There are no bad bits in that city.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times