China

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

China

Postby saintal » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:33 pm

Did a search through this forum but couldn't find much on China so thought I'd start a topic.

Wife and I are thinking of spending a couple of weeks there next April/May.

Any do's and dont's? Join a tour or make your own plans?

At this stage we're leaning towards a 13/14 day guided tour, with the usual stops (Beijing, Xian, Shanghai, Li or Yangtze river etc)

Cheers
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Re: China

Postby MW » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:39 pm

Been for work. Went to a place called Hangzhou. Nice enough. The City itself it quite modern with a big lake next to it. Went through Shanghai for only a day though and didnt get to see much.

Personally I wouldnt go back unless work related.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:26 am

Two mates have been there on business related trips. Neither will go back. Expect your phone and Internet activity to be monitored and one of the four star hotel rooms one guy stayed in was bugged and he suspects it could have had spy cameras in the ceiling light. Apparently if you are over there on business they will take more interest in you than if you are a tourist.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby helicopterking » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:57 am

Sky Pilot wrote:Two mates have been there on business related trips. Neither will go back. Expect your phone and Internet activity to be monitored and one of the four star hotel rooms one guy stayed in was bugged and he suspects it could have had spy cameras in the ceiling light. Apparently if you are over there on business they will take more interest in you than if you are a tourist.

Isn't that a scene from a Bond movie
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby Q. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:06 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:Two mates have been there on business related trips. Neither will go back. Expect your phone and Internet activity to be monitored and one of the four star hotel rooms one guy stayed in was bugged and he suspects it could have had spy cameras in the ceiling light. Apparently if you are over there on business they will take more interest in you than if you are a tourist.

Not sure if China or America 8-[
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby fathersonsfl » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:40 am

saintal wrote:Did a search through this forum but couldn't find much on China so thought I'd start a topic.

Wife and I are thinking of spending a couple of weeks there next April/May.

Any do's and dont's? Join a tour or make your own plans?

At this stage we're leaning towards a 13/14 day guided tour, with the usual stops (Beijing, Xian, Shanghai, Li or Yangtze river etc)

Cheers

I currently live in SE Asia and have been to China and wouldn't go again. There are so many better places in SE Asia....Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia to name a few.
fathersonsfl
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:45 am

Q. wrote:

America is a democracy
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby saintal » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:16 pm

saintal wrote:Thanks for the comments guys.

I take it you're not going to China anymore :lol:
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:04 pm

Had an amazing time in Shanghai and Beijing in July.
You will find the Chinese people to be extremely friendly and willing to help with any problem you may have re not knowing what transport to get to a hotel etc.
The only problem you may find with them is that they do tend to crowd around a bit - not much personal space. Understandable with their huge population.
The must-see's are the usual ones: Great Wall of China; Tianamen Square; Forbidden City. Do try to take a harbour cruise on Shanghai Harbour though and take in at least one Chinese acrobatic show. Oh, and a Bullet Train ride is definitely worth it!!
Wonderful country, wonderful people - ignore totally what is said re bugging and monitoring. Idiotic scaremongering and does not happen.

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Psyber » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:17 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:
Q. wrote:
America is a democracy
Allegedly...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby mick » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:21 pm

Psyber wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:
Q. wrote:
America is a democracy
Allegedly...

America is a great argument for compulsory voting, I can't believe the majority of poor there take no interest in the political process and that is coming form a capitalist.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Mic » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:44 pm

I really enjoyed China; went there in 2005. Did an private/organised tour with my brother, going from Beijing to Xian to Guilin to Shanghai. Being relatively inexperienced travelers at the time, it was a good way of visiting China. Service from the tour operators (including personal driver and also a personal tour guide) was really good but we didn't like all the stupid stops at factories/stores (pretty much one every day). If you do a guided tour get one that avoids 'shopping stops'. I really liked Beijing's main sights, and thought Guilin was nice city/area (for China). Shanghai was a pretty cool city.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby saintal » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:56 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
saintal wrote:Thanks for the comments guys.

I take it you're not going to China anymore :lol:

Correct, for a few reasons decided to give China a miss this time. Going to Hawaii instead in April.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Board index   General Talk  Travel