Cruises

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: Cruises

Postby Farbs » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:26 am

bulldogproud2 wrote:
Farbs wrote:
Smashed Crab wrote:Has anyone cruised with Royal Carribean Adventure of the Seas before? And also Norwegian Spirit? Just booked them for my honeymoon travelling Miami to Southhampton and then Barcelona to Venice respectively in April and May next year. They are rated 4.5 and 4.0 star so my expectations aren't huge, but hoping they will still be great. Anyone been on either of these to ships before?

Also, are the drinks/cocktail packages worth it? Looks to be about $50Aus each night for both of us, and we have to book for both of us or none and for the full length cruise, 14 and 12 days. I'm sure we could put a dent in it for half the time but some days will be flat out checking out the sights onland so may not feel like drinking too much. Yay or Nay?

Cheers

I haven't been on either ship, so can't comment. Can only comment on Royal Caribbean in general from what we've experienced, and have found them excellent.

As far as the drinks package goes, which ship is that on? Royal only do wine packages don't they? I guess the thing to check is the inclusions, for example, when we sailed on Celebrity Cruises, we did a drinks package and it worked out to about $50 per day too, on a 15 night cruise. But it included drinks to the value of about $11 or $12, which meant i could get premium whiskies, which i like, e.g. 18yo Jamesons. It doesn't take many of them to reach your daily quota. My wife drank cocktails which are $10- $12 ea too, so again didn't take long to hit quota. Some of the bigger drinking days, i would have easily drank over $150 worth of alcohol/non-alcohol drinks, so definitely would have come out on top.

Hi Farbs,
Am pretty sure you will find that RCCL (Royal Caribbean) also cover other drinks in their packages. They are run by the same company that runs Celebrity so am pretty sure their drink packages are similar. I can't be sure though as I don't personally drink alcohol.
Cheers

Yes, you are right, i just checked..thats great! When we went on RCI in 2010, they only had the wine package available. I'll be all over this ;)
I'm proud of you fellas. You all kept your head on a swivel, and that's what you gotta do when you find yourself in a vicious cock fight!
Farbs
Under 18s

Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bulldogproud2 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:13 pm

Six days away from my New Zealand cruise on Celebrity Solstice. Although the weather looks like being somewhat cool (mainly in low 20's) I can't wait!!

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby HH3 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:49 pm

I've been looking into taking the missus on a cruise from Sydney to New Caledonia and back sometime next year. 5 days would be plenty.

I'm more of an old soul, so not keen on the party scene kind of ships. I would rather a more touristy, laid back, read my book on a deck chair next to the pool kinda ship.

Any suggestions on company I should look at first for that kind of experience. I dont mind if we're surrounded by senior citizens either.

We also wanna keep the costs under about $700-$800ish each as well.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bulldogproud2 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:42 pm

HH3 wrote:I've been looking into taking the missus on a cruise from Sydney to New Caledonia and back sometime next year. 5 days would be plenty.

I'm more of an old soul, so not keen on the party scene kind of ships. I would rather a more touristy, laid back, read my book on a deck chair next to the pool kinda ship.

Any suggestions on company I should look at first for that kind of experience. I dont mind if we're surrounded by senior citizens either.

Hi HH,
I think you will find that most cruises of that nature would be of 7 or 8 days duration. P&O would have the cheapest options but they tend to be more of the style of 'party ships' than some other lines. I would certainly encourage you to look at Royal Caribbean, Celebrity or Princess. Depending on the time of year, you may be looking at just over $1 000 though.

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:58 am

HH3 wrote:I've been looking into taking the missus on a cruise from Sydney to New Caledonia and back sometime next year. 5 days would be plenty.

takes about 4-5 days just to get there i reckon... I strongly suggest you don't book around school holidays...

I'd love to go on a cruise again, but pity my wife gets sea sick on the popeye!!! :(
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Failed Creation » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:53 pm

Has anyone gone through Carnival Cruises before? If so, what are they like?

I'm just looking into surprising the wife for her 30th, and she's always wanted to go on a cruise.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby bulldogproud2 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:41 pm

Failed Creation wrote:Has anyone gone through Carnival Cruises before? If so, what are they like?

I'm just looking into surprising the wife for her 30th, and she's always wanted to go on a cruise.

Hi FC,
Although I have never cruised on Carnival, I have heard from many that they are a very good line. For overall reviews of cruise lines and individual ships, I always find the website cruisecritic.com to be a great one to look at. I am confident you both will enjoy the trip. Enjoy!
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Failed Creation » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:47 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:Has anyone gone through Carnival Cruises before? If so, what are they like?

Hi FC,
Although I have never cruised on Carnival, I have heard from many that they are a very good line. For overall reviews of cruise lines and individual ships, I always find the website cruisecritic.com to be a great one to look at. I am confident you both will enjoy the trip. Enjoy!

Cheers mate! You're a bloody legend.
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby bulldogproud2 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:37 pm

Failed Creation wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote:

Hi FC,

Naw, just a cruiseaholic. I even have the shirt to prove it *winks*
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Failed Creation » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:55 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote:

Hi FC,

Naw, just a cruiseaholic. I even have the shirt to prove it *winks*

Well, that does make you a legend in my book!

We're looking at going off around October 2015, so I want to start planning as early as I can.
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby bulldogproud2 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:24 am

Am confident you will love it. Cruises are amazing opportunities to do as much or as little as you like. I tend to go on the ones that visit a lot of ports, allowing good opportunities to see a range of new places. You spend most of the day exploring, then come onboard for incredible food and great entertainment. Have taken three cruises in the last nine months, two to China and South Korea and one around New Zealand. Am cruising the Mediterranean in July. My Asian cruises were with Royal Caribbean and my New Zealand and European one are with Celebrity, owned by the same business as Royal Caribbean.

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:24 am

My girlfriend and I are most likely going to going on a cruise in October through Carnival, a ten night cruise through the Pacific Islands. We've got all the information for the holiday, price of the cruise, flights to Sydney etc. all written down and semi-organised and will book it in the coming months. Should be a great getaway after footy season and before the Christmas/New Years break.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10299 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Pag » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:22 pm

Just booked a 13-night New Years Cruise around New Zealand (Melbourne - Melbourne) with Princess. The beauty of leaving from Melbourne is getting the Boxing Day Test in too. Done P&O before, and did a quick MSC cruise in South Africa last summer (which I didn't rate, except the bar prices), have heard good things about Princess.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:50 pm

Pag wrote:Just booked a 13-night New Years Cruise around New Zealand (Melbourne - Melbourne) with Princess. The beauty of leaving from Melbourne is getting the Boxing Day Test in too. Done P&O before, and did a quick MSC cruise in South Africa last summer (which I didn't rate, except the bar prices), have heard good things about Princess.

You seem to have chosen well.
Conde Nast rate them the fourth best 'large ship cruise line' in the world, behind Disney, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean:

http://www.cntraveler.com/readers-choic ... uise-lines

Hope you love it.

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby bulldogproud2 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:42 pm

Only one month away from my Mediterranean cruise now: Rome, Naples, Sicily, Athens, Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Ephesus.
Can't wait.

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:35 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:Only one month away from my Mediterranean cruise now: Rome, Naples, Sicily, Athens, Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Ephesus.
Can't wait.

Cheers

:(
Attachments
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (982.9 KiB) Viewed 5590 times
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:06 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:My girlfriend and I are most likely going to going on a cruise in October through Carnival, a ten night cruise through the Pacific Islands. We've got all the information for the holiday, price of the cruise, flights to Sydney etc. all written down and semi-organised and will book it in the coming months. Should be a great getaway after footy season and before the Christmas/New Years break.

Forgot about this post.

Well we ended up booking a cruise and it's now 125 days until our cruise, counting down every minute haha! Booked a ten night cruise on the Carnival Legend from the 6th of October to the 16th, (wanted to use the Labor Day public holiday as one of the days we're on holiday to save a days Annual Leave at work and got it so I'm cheering.) Leaving from Sydney and visiting Mare, Noumea, Mystery Island and Vila.

All we have to do now is book our flights and we're ready to go. Can't f**king wait! Will be an amazing holiday to spend some quality time with my girlfriend and we will certainly make the most of it.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby bulldogproud2 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:32 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:My girlfriend and I are most likely going to going on a cruise in October through Carnival, a ten night cruise through the Pacific Islands. We've got all the information for the holiday, price of the cruise, flights to Sydney etc. all written down and semi-organised and will book it in the coming months. Should be a great getaway after footy season and before the Christmas/New Years break.

Forgot about this post.

Well we ended up booking a cruise and it's now 125 days until our cruise, counting down every minute haha! Booked a ten night cruise on the Carnival Legend from the 6th of October to the 16th, (wanted to use the Labor Day public holiday as one of the days we're on holiday to save a days Annual Leave at work and got it so I'm cheering.) Leaving from Sydney and visiting Mare, Noumea, Mystery Island and Vila.

All we have to do now is book our flights and we're ready to go. Can't f**king wait! Will be an amazing holiday to spend some quality time with my girlfriend and we will certainly make the most of it.

Fantastic, Dark Knight! I have a feeling you will have the time of your life!
Btw, the days from 125 to 25 go ever so quickly. Can remember when it was 250 days to go, now 30 until we fly out. Will be a rush flying out though. Finish teaching at 4pm, flight to Sydney at 7:45pm, arrive in Sydney at 10:10pm and check in for our Rome flight at 3am the next morning. Something tells me I am going to sleep on the plane!! lol Shame though as I want to watch 14 hours of movies *grins*

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Pag » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:45 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:

Forgot about this post.

Noumea is a very interesting place, one street is filled with what look like upscale jewellery stores, the next street is full of closed-down shops with roller shutters covered in graffiti. Very interesting though.

Vila is a bit more touristy.
Last edited by Pag on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:18 pm

Pag wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Forgot about this post.

Noumea is a very interesting place, one street is filled with what look like upsacle jewellery stores, the next street is full of closed-down shops with roller shutters covered in graffiti. Very interesting though.

Vila is a bit more touristy.

I've been to Noumea and that was on New Years Day when everything was closed. It was pissing down with rain aswell so Im hoping for a better experience this time around but not expecting much from there.
The Dark Knight
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Travel