Adelaide to sydney drive

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Adelaide to sydney drive

Postby longtimewaiting_2 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:59 pm

So we have booked a family holiday a cruise 30 dec 17 to 8 jan 2018 3 adults 7 kids .. thinking of driving to syd as 6 kids autistic and not sure how they will handle the flight ..
Has anyone done the drive b4 and how many days thinking adelaide to wagga wagga stay overnight then wagga wagga to sydney ...
Should i break it up more any suggestions appreciated
longtimewaiting_2
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Adelaide to sydney drive

Postby Jim05 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:54 pm

I do the trip about a dozen times a year and I quite often drive straight through with my wife usually doing a 3-4 hour stint if I need a break. With kids Narrandera or Wagga would be enough in 1 day.
If I go over after work we often stop at Narrandera or Wagga overnight
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: Adelaide to sydney drive

Postby Wedgie » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:04 pm

I stopped at Wagga Wagga and did it in two days. Awful drive, so boring.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby longtimewaiting_2 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:31 pm

Yeah have heard drive is boring .. thats why i may break it up a bit more ....3 days 2 stops overnight ..... plenty of time to consider and plan ... we gonna hire 12 seater bus .. kids autistic or not will get bored ...and im the only driver ..
Thanks for response ...
longtimewaiting_2
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Jim05 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:44 pm

longtimewaiting_2 wrote:Yeah have heard drive is boring .. thats why i may break it up a bit more ....3 days 2 stops overnight ..... plenty of time to consider and plan ... we gonna hire 12 seater bus .. kids autistic or not will get bored ...and im the only driver ..
Thanks for response ...

I would suggest taking the more scenic way and that's only about 40km longer.
Adelaide to Hay on day 1, Hay to Bathurst on day 2. Both days between 5 and 6 hours driving then on the 3rd day only a bit over 2 hours from Bathurst to Sydney and drive through the blue mountains
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:44 pm

We go through Sydney to get to Newcastle regularly.
I once drove from Newcastle to Gawler without an overnight stop - probably wouldn't recommend that.
We've stayed in Gundagai, which is a big drive from Adelaide. Given the larger group you have, I'd recommend you only go as far as Wagga - you need about 12 hours for that, I reckon, that includes stops for brekky/lunch/fuel.
But, hey, if people want to share the driving, there's no reason you couldn't go all the way to Sydney.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:45 pm

Jim05 wrote:
longtimewaiting_2 wrote:Yeah have heard drive is boring .. thats why i may break it up a bit more ....3 days 2 stops overnight ..... plenty of time to consider and plan ... we gonna hire 12 seater bus .. kids autistic or not will get bored ...and im the only driver ..
Thanks for response ...

I would suggest taking the more scenic way and that's only about 40km longer.
Adelaide to Hay on day 1, Hay to Bathurst on day 2. Both days between 5 and 6 hours driving then on the 3rd day only a bit over 2 hours from Bathurst to Sydney and drive through the blue mountains

That is a nice drive. Did it as a kid.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Aerie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:53 pm

Hay is pretty much half way. We usually stopped there overnight.

It is a fairly flat drive, but something nice about the open road and sitting on the banks of the Murrumbidgee on the way to Sydney. Use to go there every 2nd Christmas as a kid.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 am

I used to do that drive occasionally, but with the speed limits now I get fatigued more and can't cover as much distance in one go.
Last time - in 2010 - I did Parkes to Adelaide Hills in one go and was struggling to stay awake by Tailem Bend.

I think the boredom of the tedious slow cruising gets to me.
I've even reverted to having a stopover when doing Adelaide to Melbourne - usually at Kaniva...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby therisingblues » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:36 am

Not to Sydney, but did Adelaide to Canberra once. The Hay plain was incredibly boring, that's about all I can remember of it.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Psyber » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:52 pm

Just did a reasonably leisurely and interesting return trip to Sydney to visit family and old friends of my fiancee.

We drove Adelaide to Balranald, and to Cowra the next day, then spent 2 days in Wallawerang and 2 in Penrith, visiting her daughter and the daughter's young adut children.

Then we pushed on to Lane Cove. In Sydney we looked up Ian Fairweather at his home on the North Coast (in his retirement at nearly 80), the current head of SBS Sport at his favourite pub in North Sydney one nght and his home the next, and the next day caught up with for lunch in Circuar Quay the current acting deputy head of the ABC, all of whom are old friends of hers from her TV production days. (She was the producer of Here's Humphrey for years here in Adelaide.) All rather intersting for me because I had no past involvement in the TV industry apart from once appearing on Here's Humphrey way back in 1972 with a litter of Dalmatian puppies...

We also took advantage of the Seniors one day Opal pass to visit Manly and Darling Harbour by Ferry for $2.50!! Then we came back via Dubbo and Hay spending about 2hours or so visiting the open plains zoo in Dubbo.

(We also found some nice restaurants and pubs along the way and enjoyed some really nice wine from the Mudgee area.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Board index   General Talk  Travel