Long Haul Flights - Survival Tips

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Long Haul Flights - Survival Tips

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:36 pm

Would be interested to hear others experience with long haul travel. Personally it really doesn't matter what I do, just can't sleep on planes. So I take the other approach, order a Bloody Mary when the seat belt light goes off. Watch the movies, few beers, couple of wines.

I have a e-reader kindle as well, that gets a run. I usually stretch the legs with a few laps of the plane, then try to chat up the flight attendants. Without luck.

How do you guys get through it?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Re: Long Haul Flights - Survival Tips

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Only ever done the Singapore / Adelaide 9 hour flight.

On the way there, early morning flight out had breakfast, movie, I'll happily play the computer at chess for a while, chatted, read a bit, by 11am on the beers. Only had 3 o4 as arriving into Thailand later that day for the very first time I didn't want to be plastered.

On the way home, nightmare over nighter with a kid screaming his guts out most of the way home in front of me. Have and continue to really dislike night time flying, not just because of that experience, just hate flying at night as I know I won't sleep.

Bali in 3 weeks looks better. Leave here at 7:55 am for noon arrival. On the way home leave at noon for 7:30pm arrival. Was meant to be 7:30pm departure for midnight arrival there, midnight departure there for 7am arrival here....yuck.

Looks like Jetstar have changed the flight times in and out of Bali and I for one am not complaining!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Yes overnighters suck... we have a night flight back from Honkers... the above will be my routine.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:08 pm

I am the same. been to europe twice, japan and malaysia, and probably slept a total of 5 hours in all that time.

best trip was the recent one over to japan as the flight was only half full and i went down the back of the plane and laid across 3 seats to get some sleep.

I mostly just try to relax, watch some movies. maybe put some music on and unsuccessfully attempt to sleep, in between laps of the cabin
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:13 pm

I even had the bed in business once... still couldn't sleep.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:I am the same. been to europe twice, japan and malaysia, and probably slept a total of 5 hours in all that time.

best trip was the recent one over to japan as the flight was only half full and i went down the back of the plane and laid across 3 seats to get some sleep.

I mostly just try to relax, watch some movies. maybe put some music on and unsuccessfully attempt to sleep, in between laps of the cabin

Coming back from London last trip and the flight from London to HK was only half full so slept across 3 seats.
I have no problem sleeping on planes though
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Magellan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:32 pm

A friend mine's solution was a Xanax and a couple red wines!

I struggle with long haul flights as well, but have become more able to nod off in recent times since I've done a bit more OS travel from Europe. I find the window seat's good because I can rest my head between the wall (with a cushion/pillow) and the seat which provides some extra support.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:10 pm

Magellan wrote:A friend mine's solution was a Xanax and a couple red wines!

I struggle with long haul flights as well, but have become more able to nod off in recent times since I've done a bit more OS travel from Europe. I find the window seat's good because I can rest my head between the wall (with a cushion/pillow) and the seat which provides some extra support.

im the opposite, i like the aisle seat as i can stretch out a bit more - my legs get stiff as hell. then i just have to watch out for the drinks cards taking my leg out if i dont move it :D
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby heater31 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:37 pm

Did Adelaide to Dubai for my first ever long haul next to a screaming kid for 12 hours.......ordinary seat didn't help either in the middle section and the front row of cattle class......at least I could stretch out my legs and get my feet into Business for some sleep.

For leg 2 Dubai/Heathrow I don't remember the take-off phase at all, last thing I remember is waiting on the taxiway for our take off slot and the next thing I come too 1500 miles into our flight heading toward Kuwait.

I find if you focus on your breathing you can get some shut eye. Must admit limited shut eye is better than none at all!

for entertainment its usually a book purchased at the airport book store once read Kevin Peiterson's book cover to cover on my 2nd attempt of Heathrow to Dubai. If I've had enough of the book its trawling the movies and TV shows. Beers and spirits in moderation
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Trader » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:32 am

I can't sleep at all, no matter how long the travel is.

I was over in Europe last September and then the final run home was a LONG way.
On a bus at 8am Thursday morning in San Sebastian, drive into Biarritz, fly to Paris, then Dubai, then KL, then Melbourne, landing at 2am Saturday morning. Recon I had about 2 hours sleep over that 42 hour period.

Got a good 9 hours in before getting up and walking to the G to watch the Doggies knock off the Swans.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:15 pm

I could never sleep on planes, hate the overnighters BUT last time I left Thailand I took the only valium Ive ever had in my life and slept till the breakfast trolley was coming round. Also best to plan the less popular days to come back and sit in the back bit of the plane as quite often get a row to yourself.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:08 pm

My problem is that when I sleep on a plane, no one near me stands a chance - am a truly terrible snorer! The continued bad news is that I fall asleep incredibly easily... could even fall asleep standing up.
Was hoping to use my CPAP machine on my flights next week to Las Vegas and return from Vancouver: unfortunately both Delta Airlines and Air Canada don't allow their use - I feel sorry for the other passengers!! These will be my longest flights ever, with Vancouver to Sydney being 15 1/4 hours.
I must admit that I prefer daylight flights to night-time ones. I will happily settle into watching a movie or two, playing trivia against my friend, listening to music and reading my Kindle or Kobo. I try to stay awake on night-time flights but know I will succumb as soon as the lights dim!
Just pray you don't cop a snorer like me on your long flights!! :oops:
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:13 pm

A hopefully useful tip I can give for trying to nod off on planes is to bank up a selection of about 20-30 songs through their media player. Then just sit back and allow the music to gently nod you off to sleep.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Pseudo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:38 pm

Two words are the alpha and omega of this conversation:

Sleeping pills.

I get a script for Temazepam from my quack for the sole purpose of getting some shut-eye on international flights. This is fairly low-grade stuff. Two of these is sufficient to knock me out under normal circumstances, though on a flight I have occasionally had to take another couple after an hour. (This usage may not be recommended - right @Psyber?) I'd usually get 3-4 hours of kip before waking.

An MP3 player with a good pair of noise-cancelling 'phones also works wonders on long haul flights.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Pag » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:21 am

Can't sleep bugger all either. Watch a movie, walk and stretch for 5 mins. Repeat for 13 odd hours til the plane lands.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:40 am

Pag wrote:Can't sleep bugger all either. Watch a movie, walk and stretch for 5 mins. Repeat for 13 odd hours til the plane lands.

Yeah same.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Psyber » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:09 pm

Pseudo wrote:Two words are the alpha and omega of this conversation:

Sleeping pills.

I get a script for Temazepam from my quack for the sole purpose of getting some shut-eye on international flights. This is fairly low-grade stuff. Two of these is sufficient to knock me out under normal circumstances, though on a flight I have occasionally had to take another couple after an hour. (This usage may not be recommended - right @Psyber?) I'd usually get 3-4 hours of kip before waking.

An MP3 player with a good pair of noise-cancelling 'phones also works wonders on long haul flights.

The only issue with Xanax (alprazolam) or temazepam is the all the short-acting benzodiazepines are potentially addictive, although problems are unlikely with occasional use. Of course alcohol too is addictive but perhaps not quite so quickly. Mixing them is not a great idea as they enhance each others effects. Phenergan may be an option to avoid addictive risk

I solve the problem by always breaking long trips with an overnight stay somewhere like Singapore or Dubai, and travelling in daylight.

PS: I'm logging in rarely at the moment as I'm working in the WA Wheatbelt health services for several weeks and won't be back in Adelaide until late August.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Corona Man » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:13 pm

We fly overnight Hong Kong to Melbourne tomorrow night. Not exactly long haul, but the overnight thing is bad enough. We have some phenergan and will give that a go. Fingers crossed.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Phenergan for the kids lol.

Another tip if going to the US with Qantas- if you fly to Dallas there is ALWAYS 100 or so free seats on the flight, due to weight/fuel constraints. I had a row of 4 seats to myself both ways- even my lanky frame got some shut eye.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Jim05 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:07 pm

MatteeG wrote:Phenergan for the kids lol.

Another tip if going to the US with Qantas- if you fly to Dallas there is ALWAYS 100 or so free seats on the flight, due to weight/fuel constraints. I had a row of 4 seats to myself both ways- even my lanky frame got some shut eye.

The numbers on the Dallas flights are a bit lower than they would like but the yield is good so everyone is happy. Ideally Qantas would like about 40-60 seats vacant tops but that is great for people such as yourself who can sprawl out.
Project Sunrise is only a couple of years away and Qantas are aiming to have the ULR aircraft ready that can do Sydney to London direct in just on 20 hours. There may be options of bunks or a few other ideas they are playing with.
The new Singapore Airlines A350 that will do Singapore to New York will only be business and Premium Economy seats
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Next

Board index   General Talk  Travel