Advice re next holiday

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Advice re next holiday

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:56 pm

This is pretty broad but I'm hoping to get some good advice that might help sway me.
I've narrowed down my next holiday destination to four places:

Vietnam (I'm over Thailand, hoping this would be better than what Thailand's turned into)
South Cook Islands ( Looks amazing!)
US (probably centred around the East Coast, Philly a must, a Notre Dame game a must, a stop over at least in New Orleans)
Queensland ( my missus is from England and has never been there, thinking of either Whitsundays or a couple of months spent going Brisbane to Cairns)

Any thoughts?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Advice re next holiday

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Been to Japan?

Wasn’t on my radar at all until I went there to visit family and it’s awesome

Probably cheaper than most of those options too
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:11 pm

bennymacca wrote:Been to Japan?

Wasn’t on my radar at all until I went there to visit family and it’s awesome

Probably cheaper than most of those options too

Considered it for the Rugby World Cup in September next year but nothing else, doesn't appeal to me much besides that.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Do the Brisbane to Cairns road trip and take your time. Consider motor home hire and detour to outback places like Winton and Longreach as well. Will take you a good month to do
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:59 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Do the Brisbane to Cairns road trip and take your time. Consider motor home hire and detour to outback places like Winton and Longreach as well. Will take you a good month to do

Not something I'd do normally but yeah tempted to do something like that to show off a bit more of Australia to my missus. Her favourite trip of all time was a houseboat up the Murray so I'm thinking something like that might be the go since she went to Thailand with me last year.
Not real keen on hiring a motor home though, my parents have had them for 40 years. Great when I was a kid but not real comfortable when you're 6 foot 2. As soon as I turned a teenager I had to have my own tent as the beds in campervans aren't built for people my size. Great for my parents though who are 5 foot nothing.

I went to the Whitsundays in the 90s and loved it. Also went up the Sunshine Coast in the early 00s and loved it.
Also have two steps sisters and two mates who live in Cairns so tempted to do it.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:38 pm

Put some panniers on the scooter, chuck Mrs wedgie on the back and hit the open road .............................

:supz: :supz:
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:45 pm

Ian wrote:Put some panniers on the scooter, chuck Mrs wedgie on the back and hit the open road .............................

LMAO :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Ian wrote:Put some panniers on the scooter, chuck Mrs wedgie on the back and hit the open road .............................

LMAO :lol:

Yep and spend the first night at the Prosoect oval.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:01 am

I love Cairns, well, what's around Cairns as the city centre itself isn't much to look at.

You can head up into the Daintree, PK's Jungle Village in Cape Tribulation which is an excellent spot for watchers of back packers, out onto the Reef ( the best one I've been on was Poseidon out from Port Douglas ), Port Douglas to see how the rich and famous live in white linen clothes, up into the table lands around Atherton, Malanda, Millaa Millaa Falls or just loaf around the lagoon in the heart of Cairns.

The Sunshine Coast is nice, too. Hervey Bay, across to Fraser Island, up to Bundaberg.

My next all Aussie adventure has me looking to Darwin for some fishing with the brother and mates.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby mickey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:39 am

Booney wrote:I love Cairns, well, what's around Cairns as the city centre itself isn't much to look at.

You can head up into the Daintree, PK's Jungle Village in Cape Tribulation which is an excellent spot for watchers of back packers, out onto the Reef ( the best one I've been on was Poseidon out from Port Douglas ), Port Douglas to see how the rich and famous live in white linen clothes, up into the table lands around Atherton, Malanda, Millaa Millaa Falls or just loaf around the lagoon in the heart of Cairns.

The Sunshine Coast is nice, too. Hervey Bay, across to Fraser Island, up to Bundaberg.

My next all Aussie adventure has me looking to Darwin for some fishing with the brother and mates.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:44 pm

Booney wrote:I love Cairns, well, what's around Cairns as the city centre itself isn't much to look at.

Cheers for the info. I love the Sunshine Coast and Whitsundays and I've never been to Cairns.
I'm leaning towards something like this as its only fair I show the missus a bit of Australia before our next jaunt OS as she loves every bit of Oz she's seen so far and has hardly scratched the surface.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby beef » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Been to US 3 times in last 5 years and love it. Def do the East coast though, heaps better than the West but gets bloody cold during their winter
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:04 pm

Cheers.
Yeah I've ruled out Vietnam too, a mate was there recently and said its been overrun by the chinese as much as Thailand has.
Decision made. Queensland followed by east coast of the US.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:09 pm

Wegs, we did the Cook Islands (Rarotonga) and if you want to sit back on the beach and do nothing, that's your place. There is 'enough' to do if you want to break up your day but also enough reason not do anything if you don't want.

We coined the phrase "on Raro time" because if a shop is supposed to open at 9, it might open at 8.59 or 9.59, or maybe 11.30. :-)

But we'd go back because it's just an amazing little island and the people are very friendly.

All islands are on NZ$'s so the exchange rate is friendly too.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:01 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Wegs, we did the Cook Islands (Rarotonga) and if you want to sit back on the beach and do nothing, that's your place. There is 'enough' to do if you want to break up your day but also enough reason not do anything if you don't want.

We coined the phrase "on Raro time" because if a shop is supposed to open at 9, it might open at 8.59 or 9.59, or maybe 11.30. :-)

But we'd go back because it's just an amazing little island and the people are very friendly.

All islands are on NZ$'s so the exchange rate is friendly too.

Cheers mate, looks nice but doesn't sound like me, sounds like I have a definitive plan too, thanks all for their help.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby MatteeG » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Mate- drive if you are in the USA and have time- see so much more. Petrol cheap as chips, get a fuel guzzler.

Just got back from 5 weeks away- our itinerary was Dallas-Kansas City-St. Louis-Nashville- Atlanta-Orlando-Tampa. Then flew back to Dallas for 2 days before returning. Even with 2 (albeit good travellers) kids 8 and 5 it was fantastic.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Wedgie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Doing the cheats trip for Brisbane to Port Douglas next month via Cairns and Airlie Beach and Willis Island, actually doing a cruise which I swore I never would. A couple of mates were going and the price was ridiculously cheap including food and booze so couldn't say no to it. It will fit in as a filler before our next big trip quite nicely. Now to pray for a week or two without cyclones in a month I wouldn't normally go to Queensland!
Got a cabin next to the Adults only deck which has a bar so won't be doing too much walking.
Will get into Brissy a couple of days early to show the missus the sunshine coast in a day trip.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:57 am

Not a great time to be doing Nth Qld, but if you are in a/c room most of the trip should be OK!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:21 am

Dutchy wrote:Not a great time to be doing Nth Qld, but if you are in a/c room most of the trip should be OK!

Disagree, immerse yourself in it. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:26 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Not a great time to be doing Nth Qld, but if you are in a/c room most of the trip should be OK!

Disagree, immerse yourself in it. ;)

Immerse yourself into the feeling of nausea due to the extreme heat and humidity whilst sweating your balls off 24/7 ultimately leading to nappy rash after the first 8 hours of your trip. **** that!!!!!!!
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Next

Board index   General Talk  Travel