Advice: Booking Flights

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Advice: Booking Flights

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:25 pm

Im looking at taking the partner and 3 kids over to the UK & Ireland next April/May.

Last time I booked an overseas holiday was over 5 years ago so im not the most up to date when it comes to best sites/methods etc.

So far I am seeing so many different ranges in prices available depending on site. What sites do people generally trust? What ones do you find are cheapest? Pro & Cons to booking on-line versus in store with a flight centre etc.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Advice: Booking Flights

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:19 pm

I have several methods. I do have access to a TA’s account and often play around on it but in the last few months the price gap is almost non existent as flights are close to an all time low price wise.
Use something Google Flights, Momondo or Skyscanner to find the prices/dates you want and you can go from there if you want. I would suggest checking out any reviews online as there are some companies that have a shocking reputation. Once you have found the price on one of those sites go onto the website of the airline direct and see how it matches up. If the price is close I’d always book direct with the airline as there will be less hassles if something goes wrong.
Avoid places like the Flight Centre is another bit of advice for you.
Most importantly prepare to be flexible, there can be good savings by avoiding flying during school holidays or weekends. For Europe it’s often cheaper to avoid flying out of London or the UK as the departure taxes are higher. As you are taking kids avoid the super long haul and try to look at a stop over in the ME just to break it up.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: Advice: Booking Flights

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Jim05 wrote:I have several methods. I do have access to a TA’s account and often play around on it but in the last few months the price gap is almost non existent as flights are close to an all time low price wise.
Use something Google Flights, Momondo or Skyscanner to find the prices/dates you want and you can go from there if you want. I would suggest checking out any reviews online as there are some companies that have a shocking reputation. Once you have found the price on one of those sites go onto the website of the airline direct and see how it matches up. If the price is close I’d always book direct with the airline as there will be less hassles if something goes wrong.
Avoid places like the Flight Centre is another bit of advice for you.
Most importantly prepare to be flexible, there can be good savings by avoiding flying during school holidays or weekends. For Europe it’s often cheaper to avoid flying out of London or the UK as the departure taxes are higher. As you are taking kids avoid the super long haul and try to look at a stop over in the ME just to break it up.

Thanks all sounds like great advice!

Yeah taking the kids, I’m done a fair bit of travel without the kids in recent times and can’t bring myself to go without them and have them miss out.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Board index   General Talk  Travel