COVID Travel

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: COVID Travel

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:00 pm

Dutchy wrote:Today we used Jetstar Bali vouchers to book a trip to Tassie in late July/early August, off to see the Roos/Geelong in Hobart :( and then head up the east coast and end up at Barnbougle for a hit of golf (something I promised myself for my 50th).

Going to be freezing but can't wait to get back to Tassie.
Was there over Easter. Friday was 30 degrees and that was Hobart’s first April day of 30 since 2014. Backed it up with 32 on Saturday which was the hottest April day on record I believe. Weather was amazing this time around
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:08 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Today we used Jetstar Bali vouchers to book a trip to Tassie in late July/early August, off to see the Roos/Geelong in Hobart :( and then head up the east coast and end up at Barnbougle for a hit of golf (something I promised myself for my 50th).

Going to be freezing but can't wait to get back to Tassie.
Was there over Easter. Friday was 30 degrees and that was Hobart’s first April day of 30 since 2014. Backed it up with 32 on Saturday which was the hottest April day on record I believe. Weather was amazing this time around

When we went in March 2017 we wore shorts and tshirts all week, it was weirdly humid.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:10 pm

Jim05 wrote:
MatteeG wrote:Anyone flown Jetstar recently? Feels like forever since I flew last. Assuming mandatory masks on board etc.

We have a trip to Brissy booked for late April, car hire and accommodation all booked with no money down and free cancellation.

Whilst doubtful it would go ahead when the flights were booked late last year, it now looks promising fingers crossed
Don’t do it!
Jetstar are the pits
Yes, masks compulsory

Except they sell you food and drink and you have to pull the mask down to eat and drink.
It seems to rather defeat the purpose of wearing the mask.

OK it is only for part of the trip, but you may pick up the virus in that shorter time, and my last flight (back in February) the guy next to me was eating or drinking most of the time.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:27 am

At 9am try your luck, $50, $100 and $200 vouchers up for grabs via an online ballot :

https://enter.southaustralia.com
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:49 pm

Booney wrote:At 9am try your luck, $50, $100 and $200 vouchers up for grabs via an online ballot :

https://enter.southaustralia.com

Going for a $100
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:52 pm

Sticking with some intrastate travel next week.
3 nights up at Auburn.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:56 pm

4 day weekend in Melbourne this week. ANZAC Day football on Sunday and will probably take the hire car for a spin on a couple of the other days and head to the Yarra Valley or Mornington Peninsula
Jim05
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:56 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Sticking with some intrastate travel next week.
3 nights up at Auburn.

Beautiful spot
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:37 pm

Tell ya what, they're not exactly encouraging travel in the state. Thought I would go visit my parents who live at Fisherman's Bay yesterday and today, thought school holidays would be a smart time as road works would be at a minimum. Boy, was I wrong!!
40kms/h all the way from Croydon to Regendy Park.
Entire two lanes closed (outgoing) on Pt Wakefield Rd at Virginia where some new feral suburb is being built.
Complete shambles before, during and after Port Wakefield, not up to normal speed limit till after turnoff to Yorkes.
Complete road closure at Kulpura where only one direction of traffic can go through in intervals.
Complete road closure out of Bute due to relaying of surface.
Add to that on the way back copped a full lane closure and walking pace due to an accident, obviously that can't be helped though.
Only positive is there's only 2 sets of traffic lights between my place and Mum's (Port Rd/South Rd and Grange Rd/South Rd) and it was a grand time at the Port Broughton pub yesterday arvo!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:51 pm

Whilst there was some inconvenience I reckon country roads getting repaired can't be anything but a good thing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:00 pm

Booney wrote:Whilst there was some inconvenience I reckon country roads getting repaired can't be anything but a good thing.

Could have done it while we were in lockdown last year and not do so many at the same bloody time in school holidays!
I agree with your sentiment but a bit of common sense would be nice.
Should be encouraging intra state travel not deterring it.
I'll be saving my pennies for a ripper OS trip now!
Freaking cars a mess too and will probably need some server paint rectifying thanks to the shit everywhere, just glad it was my car and not my missus 3 month old car!
And let me add, there wasn't much "road working" going on at all!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:59 am

Booney wrote:Whilst there was some inconvenience I reckon country roads getting repaired can't be anything but a good thing.

The old we want better roads but then crack the shits whilst the roads are being repaired. :lol: :lol:

Also I don't about other places but I know in Clare, April is pretty much roadwork season, its well after harvest, just after vintage and just before seeding so the timing is perfect to have least interruptions on the farming/agricultural/wine making industries. Albeit it is equally good timing for tourists to come to the area
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:37 pm

whufc wrote:

The old we want better roads but then crack the shits whilst the roads are being repaired. :lol: :lol:

Also I don't about other places but I know in Clare, April is pretty much roadwork season, its well after harvest, just after vintage and just before seeding so the timing is perfect to have least interruptions on the farming/agricultural/wine making industries. Albeit it is equally good timing for tourists to come to the area
What frustrates me is why councils have numerous roadworks going on at once and it seems to take forever to complete the most basic tasks. Wouldn’t it be better to concentrate all efforts into completing one project first and then moving on to the next?
Jim05
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:20 pm

whufc wrote:

joy! didnt know i was driving into roadwork central :shock:
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:46 am

Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:

What frustrates me is why councils have numerous roadworks going on at once and it seems to take forever to complete the most basic tasks. Wouldn’t it be better to concentrate all efforts into completing one project first and then moving on to the next?

Its a tough one, you can either get them all done and dusted in 6 months or you can do one at a time and have continuous roadworks over various locations for 1-2 years....I think either way there on a hiding to nothing.

Personally up here in Clare I would rather we have a month of notorious roadworks and then nothing for 11 months of the year than always having some roadworks somewhere for 12 months of the year, especially given there isn't a lot of different routes you can take without going off road.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:53 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
whufc wrote:

You coming up this way are you?
whufc
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:55 am

whufc wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
whufc wrote:

You coming up this way are you?

Auburn. So just round the corner.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:11 pm

Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:

The old we want better roads but then crack the shits whilst the roads are being repaired. [emoji38] [emoji38]

End of financial year fast approaching and they have discovered surplus money in the budgets need to spend it before they lose it in the next one.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby whufc » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:21 pm

@mightytiger

You will miss all the roadworks. There is a small roadwork going on at the corner of Auburn/Saddleworth turnoff but its now just a slowdown to 40, no stopping etc.

Not sure if your planning on it but hearing really great things about the Watervale hotel which is five minutes up the road. Pretty expensive apparently but really good quality food/service/setting, I haven't been there though.

If your willing to go ten minutes up the road the Sevenhill Hotel is absolute top shelf quality for real decent pub prices. Ask for a table down in the cellar and you will be in the good books with the misses for the rest of the year, imo the most stunning dining room in SA (the cellar dining, not the main dining room)
whufc
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:31 pm

whufc wrote:@mightytiger

You will miss all the roadworks. There is a small roadwork going on at the corner of Auburn/Saddleworth turnoff but its now just a slowdown to 40, no stopping etc.

Not sure if your planning on it but hearing really great things about the Watervale hotel which is five minutes up the road. Pretty expensive apparently but really good quality food/service/setting, I haven't been there though.

If your willing to go ten minutes up the road the Sevenhill Hotel is absolute top shelf quality for real decent pub prices. Ask for a table down in the cellar and you will be in the good books with the misses for the rest of the year, imo the most stunning dining room in SA (the cellar dining, not the main dining room)
Many years ago obviously but when we lived up there the Sevenhill Hotel did the best meals in the region. Even back then you had to book in advance.
The Hoyleton used to only do meals on Fridays but were amazing and folks used to come from miles away to eat there
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Travel