Vietnam- Family Holiday

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Vietnam- Family Holiday

Postby whufc » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:32 pm

Since we are taking up the other thread thought i would start a new one.

Any hints, tips, recommendations on all aspects of travelling to Vietnam for a family of 5......(2 adults, miss 14, miss 11, miss 4)

Me and the partner are experienced travelers but neither of us have been to any part of Asia.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Vietnam- Family Holiday

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:45 pm

We are in Vietnam currently and have another few days here. Have been here a few times and have travelled to various regions and yet feel like we have barely scraped the surface. Happy to help out with any questions depending on your preferences.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:08 am

So sat down with the partner, did a bit of research and decided we want to get serious about making this happen.

What would people advice be regarding an itinerary:

We are planning on going for 8 days.....definitely want to fit in a few days at Hoi An. That probably means we then have to pick 1 of Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh to base ourselves for the other 5 days.

Where do people think is better for a family, also would you fly in to one of those cities and then fly out from Hoi An (is that even possible) Any advice is welcome especially if it saves us some money.
whufc
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:31 am

whufc wrote:So sat down with the partner, did a bit of research and decided we want to get serious about making this happen.

What would people advice be regarding an itinerary:

We are planning on going for 8 days.....definitely want to fit in a few days at Hoi An. That probably means we then have to pick 1 of Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh to base ourselves for the other 5 days.

Where do people think is better for a family, also would you fly in to one of those cities and then fly out from Hoi An (is that even possible) Any advice is welcome especially if it saves us some money.
Direct flights to Vietnam are few and far between but HCMC will have the most options. Jetstar, Bamboo and Vietnam airlines all do direct SYD/MEL to HCMC, currently only Vietnam Airlines and Bamboo goes direct to Hanoi from Australia. No airport at Hoi An but closest airport is Da Nang about 30-45min up the road. Da Nang is probably the best of the big cities in Vietnam IMO and is a great place to base yourself as it is a easy city to get around and has decent priced accommodation, good beaches, markets aswell as culture and history and is central in Vietnam which means plenty of sights close by. Hoi An from Da Nang can cost as little as $40 return and the driver will wait if you only do a day trip. The old capital of Hue is only 2hrs up the road and you have the Marble mountains and other sights in close proximity. HCMC is a hectic big city and whilst it has some good sights I’m not sure that I’d stay too long there if on a tight schedule. We usually go for 2 weeks minimum so spend 2-3 days at both HCMC and Hà Nội and that is plenty. HCMC is the closest to the Cu chi tunnels and has the War remnants museum which is excellent. Domestic flights are cheap in Vietnam but road/rail infrastructure is quite poor so to get to Da Nang your best bet is flying. You can either do that via Hanoi or HCMC or if Singapore Airlines has sales they fly direct to Da Nang from Singapore so you could do a open jaw of Adelaide-Singapore-Da Nang and then HCMC-Singapore-Adelaide otherwise you will need to do Adelaide-MEL/SYD-HCMC/Hanoi return
Jim05
Coach

Vietnam- Family Holiday

Postby Jim05 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:26 pm

A couple of observations after just returning from another trip to Vietnam.
The country had only just recently opened up after Covid and many tourist spots weren’t as busy as previous visits which suited us fine. Hotels were fairly quiet (only 8 rooms occupied in a 230 room hotel for instance) and many premises still struggling to get staff so whilst they bent over backwards to help things weren’t as polished as normal but still adequate.
Hanoi and HCMC are as chaotic as ever though and it seems like Covid never existed there although we did notice a couple of restaurants we frequented previously had closed down and replaced by others. Masks still required on all flights to and from Vietnam as well as on domestic flights and strictly enforced. Masks required in airports but not enforced and I’d estimate less than 50% compliance. Outside of that no masks required for public transport and taxis or shops, restaurants etc and very few wear them around the place.
Weather was constantly in 30-38 degree region with high humidity but only had 1 day lost to rain despite it being storm season. Prices of many things in Vietnam a touch more expensive but alcohol still decently priced except for wine which is like gold. Beers anywhere from $1.40-$3 in pubs, clubs. A hell of a lot of Russians there that have fled Russia especially in HCMC.
Will definitely head back again but probably at least a year away as we have 4 weeks in Europe planned for next year
Jim05
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:03 am

In the end booked Bali yesterday. Going September 14- September 22.

Whilst i would have liked to go to Vietnam just felt with miss, 14, 12, 5 Bali offered more kid friendly activities as well as incorporating some cultural experiences.

Thought i would never go to Bali, never had an interest there.. ...
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:04 am

whufc wrote:In the end booked Bali yesterday. Going September 14- September 22.

Whilst i would have liked to go to Vietnam just felt with miss, 14, 12, 5 Bali offered more kid friendly activities as well as incorporating some cultural experiences.

I go 6th July, back the 17th including 5 nights on Lombok.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:46 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:In the end booked Bali yesterday. Going September 14- September 22.

I go 6th July, back the 17th including 5 nights on Lombok.

Nice mate....we were thinking of going in July but due to me making a crazy decision to coach our b grade and the league not releasing the fixtures we have gone for when the season finishes.
whufc
Coach

Board index   General Talk  Travel