Formula 1

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

Formula 1

Postby Bandit » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:58 pm

Does anyone on here still follow formula 1? Boring races, boring results and one race per year shown on free TV, its a far cry from when my interest peaked around Mark Webbers success and then again when Ricciardo took over at Red Bull.

Formula 1 racing should be about the best drivers driving the fastest cars on the most challenging tracks. Currently we have drivers "coasting" ("Lewis, enter mode 5 bullshit") to save fuel for humming hybrid cars that have been deliberately under fuelled going into the race and teenagers getting in the cockpit and mastering the car after a few laps and a go on a simulator. Add to that the Mercedes dominance and where is the excitement for the fans?

The F1 bosses need to get this sport back on track now or there is going to be no-one left watching if they finally do.
Firstly, reintroduce fuelling up during races and remove the restrictions on fuel loads. Cars should be able to use as much fuel as they want, if they burn it too fast go into the pits and fuel up, simple.
Ditch the hybrids and bring back v8s, make those things scream. I understand there are safety limitations to the tracks and the max speeds cars can travel so if you want to slow the cars down ban turbo's or put some size limit on the engine.
Reduce aero to allow cars to actually follow and pass one another.
Bring in some sort of salary cap to meaningfully even up the spending between teams, i.e. stop the rich teams from buying success.
Remove some of the software controls that the drivers use to make driving mistakes possible, something/anything to make it so the driver has a meaningful bearing on the race would be good.

Riccardo's move to Renault should have been an opportunity for a mid range team to improve with a top driver, instead we dont even know if Riccardo is a top driver - we know he came from a top car but he is having no impact at Renault such is the dependence on the car rather than the driver. Lewis Hamiltons 5 championships are tainted in my eyes because he was in the right car at the right time. Yes he's a good driver but is he that far ahead of everyone else, no - we know he's better than his team mate but he hasn't had a real challenger in the past 5 years due to the car differences.

F1 should be the pinnacle of motorsport racing, instead it is the pinnacle of engineering - and then to reduce the impact of engineers they create some more rules... hmm what other sport creates rules to cover their original rules...
Reduce the rules and make it simple, even, balls to the wall racing.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Re: Formula 1

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:23 am

I have a passing interest ( no pun intended ) in the F1, much less than I did 5 or 10 years ago.

There's so much that's wrong with the sport, but, in essence the "cars" are so far removed from what a "car" actually is, it's not funny.

They have more rules changes than the AFL, they try every year to bring Mercedes back to the pack but with Mercedes pour in more money than anyone else they'll be in the best "car" with the best driver and win.

The sport, motor racing, is alive and well. This formula, F1, is dying a slow, painful death. One saving grace is that many of the drivers are still big personalities, still showmen, still worth following them.

Agree with all you said.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Bandit » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:52 am

I cant believe how easy teenagers can get in the car and be up to speed. Watching some old F1 on youtube and wow those guys could drive. Same could be said watching the old bathurst races where the cars they raced were the cars you bought.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Postby Bandit » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:29 pm

Mercedes DAS steering is a nice innovation. Not sure if it will result in lap time improvements, perhaps allows them to have a more aggressive corner setup without impacting on straights. Very clever and a good example of F1 being the technical pinnacle of motorsport.

Hope Ricciardo has a good 2020.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Postby tigerpie » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:57 am

Bandit wrote:Mercedes DAS steering is a nice innovation. Not sure if it will result in lap time improvements, perhaps allows them to have a more aggressive corner setup without impacting on straights. Very clever and a good example of F1 being the technical pinnacle of motorsport.

Hope Ricciardo has a good 2020.

If it works like they say, it'll solve their brake overheating problem as the inner bead of the tyre won't heat as much, so no transference to the brakes.
Its been banned for 2021 so it must work?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:33 am

They have beer and food at the events... that’s about the only attraction.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby tigerpie » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:50 pm

Corona Man wrote:They have beer and food at the events... that’s about the only attraction.

Theres another attraction when its warm with a cool breeze.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby locky801 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:44 am

Australian G/P called off due to the Corona Virus
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby StrayDog » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:08 pm

The Adelaide Street Circuit has been on topic with regards to the SA Government's Adelaide 500 decision.

So, it's perhaps worth mentioning that today, 12th November 2020, is the 25th anniversary of the last F1 race at the venue, on the full version of the circuit. Damon Hill winning by two laps in his Renault powered Williams.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby tigerpie » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:07 pm

StrayDog wrote:The Adelaide Street Circuit has been on topic with regards to the SA Government's Adelaide 500 decision.

So, it's perhaps worth mentioning that today, 12th November 2020, is the 25th anniversary of the last F1 race at the venue, on the full version of the circuit. Damon Hill winning by two laps in his Renault powered Williams.

There will never be Motorsport in town while the libs are in.
The inner city and eastern suburbs elite have got their way and jellyback Marshall won't go against them...ever!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:30 pm

tigerpie wrote:
StrayDog wrote:The Adelaide Street Circuit has been on topic with regards to the SA Government's Adelaide 500 decision.

There will never be Motorsport in town while the libs are in.
The inner city and eastern suburbs elite have got their way and jellyback Marshall won't go against them...ever!
Ironic that Labor lost us the F1’s but the Libs gave us the Supercars
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby tigerpie » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:29 pm

Well that's the most exciting finish to a championship in a long time.
Good on verstappen and red bull!
Hopefully the decision doesn't end up in court, but I fear it will and the championship may go back to Hamilton.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:53 pm

When the F1 was in Adelaide, and I was in private practice in North Adelaide and lived in the hills, I just took that week off every time rather than struggle to get to work. I thought Lynn Arnold did a great service to Adelaide letting the Vics "steal" it. When I was later living in Melbourne I found a lot of my friends there saw it the same way...

As a kid I went to Rowley Park a few times with family friends, but car racing was never my thing to watch, though I used to enjoy driving fast cars myself in the 1970s and 1980s, before the laser guns made it too hard to not get caught. I was charged with "Speed Dangerous" in 1987 but a Barrister mate came to Mt Barker District Court and got me off. We are still good friends!

(All the cops could say was they were flat out on the SE Freeway behind me and could not get close from Crafers until I turned off and slowed down to enter Hahndorf.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby dedja » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:54 pm

Firstly, the last post was 2 years ago??? What is wrong with you people? :lol:

F1 has invested nearly US$500M to bring F1 back to Las Vegas, and 8 mins into the 1st practice session, an inspection plate surround has virtually destroyed the floor and chassis of Sainz’s Ferrari and Ocon’s Alpine.

Practice 1 has been suspended, and Practice 2 is extremely unlikely to proceed today.

An embarrassing start to this event.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby dedja » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:20 pm

FP2 has been rescheduled to 2am local time :shock:

I’m sure the drivers are ecstatic to be out on track between 2-3:30am, let alone all the support staff.

Might as well rename this as dedja’s F1 thread as no-one else gives a rats. :P
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:10 pm

dedja wrote:FP2 has been rescheduled to 2am local time :shock:

I’m sure the drivers are ecstatic to be out on track between 2-3:30am, let alone all the support staff.

Might as well rename this as dedja’s F1 thread as no-one else gives a rats. :P

Not justyou mate, my daughter has been messaging me telling me what's been happening, basically exactly the same info as you've conveyed in 2 posts.
If you'd like I could replicate my enthusiasm to the info my daughter gave me to you. :)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby dedja » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:21 pm

Yeah, they finished FP2 at 4am local time :shock:

The cause of the incidents in FP1 was the airflow under the car pulling a water cover plate out of the ground :shock: :shock:

Anyway, it excites me :lol:
dedja
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:28 pm

dedja wrote:Yeah, they finished FP2 at 4am local time :shock:

The cause of the incidents in FP1 was the airflow under the car pulling a water cover plate out of the ground :shock: :shock:

Anyway, it excites me :lol:

Wow, that's amazing, tell me more! 8)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby dedja » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:39 pm

:-P
dedja
Coach

Postby dedja » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:22 am

FP2 was originally scheduled at midnight but started at 2:30am, so for those in the stands who patiently waited for the action to start were rewarded by being kicked out as apparently they didn’t organise for security to hang around for the delay.

For an extra kick in the nuts, refunds aren’t being offered.

Sainz’s car was repaired in time for FP2, only requiring a new floor, chassis, engine and battery :shock:, only for the stewards to give him a 10 spot penalty for the race for exceeded the allotted batteries for the season, even though it’s was the FIA’s fault for not checking and certifying the track properly before FP1 and causing the hazard. I guess they would have also shrugged their shoulders if Sainz was killed in the incident.

The last time F1 came to Vegas in 1981 it lasted 2 years. Let’s see if it can last this long this time. :lol:

That said, if they can sort out all these issues, the track looks great.

Even though he’s a complete dick, got to love Verstappen who refuses to play the company line and embrace the circus that is Vegas. When asked what he thinks of being there, dryly states it’s 99% show, 1% sporting event, and felt like a clown during the opening ceremony.

After FP2, was asked was it a fun track to drive? Verstappen: No, I’ve had better tracks in my life. :lol:

Well, I’m appreciating these track updates, keep up the good work dedj. #-o
dedja
Coach

Next

Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport