Car improvements

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

Car improvements

Postby HH3 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:59 am

I have a BA Fairmont that im looking to get a bodykit for. Ive been quoted at $670 for the bodykit, but then i have to get it painted and fitted, which has been quoted at a further $1100.

Does anyone know if theres somewhere that could do it at a cheaper price, but still be good quality?

Also i need to get rims, and want to know if anyone knows of anywhere that does good packages?

And lastly, has anyone got an extreme makeover done to their car at Profix? And how much did it cost? I need to get the car lowered and a new exhaust system installed...
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Car improvements

Postby Psyber » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:25 am

It may work out cheaper to actually trade it on a real sports car with real performance - second hand if need be.
My car modifying impulses are all directed to the inside, keeping the outside inconspicuous to not attract the attention of the cops.

e.g. The 1995 Audi S2 [picked up in 2002] looks the same, but it has had the Wetterauer chip, a high flow air filter, and a Forge divertor valve for the turbo.
I upgraded the stabiliser bar at the same time and got slightly wider tyres - 225/50 instead of 205/55 ZR16s purely for stability.
[As they needed doing I also went to EBC rotors and Kevlar pads for the brakes, and Koni adjustable shockers.]
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby HH3 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:39 am

I dont really drive it fast, so its mainly for looks. I crashed it a few months ago and need to replace the front bumper and passenger side guard, so thought i might as well do it right and make it look like a new car.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:09 pm

hackham_hawk_3 wrote:I dont really drive it fast, so its mainly for looks. I crashed it a few months ago and need to replace the front bumper and passenger side guard, so thought i might as well do it right and make it look like a new car.
Fair enough - in that situation a body kit may work out cheaper than a crash repairer I guess - if you can find a local guy who'll paint and fit it less expensively than most major repairers.
I found minor repairs not worth claiming on insurance varied enormously in price in Melbourne from place to place.
Good luck with it.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Barto » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:22 pm

Learned the hard way what a waste of money it all is.

Although got a few extra roots back in the day... hmm. Decisions.
It's all the SANFL's fault.
Barto
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Ian » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Barto wrote:Learned the hard way what a waste of money it all is.

Have to agree Barto, might as well piss it up against a wall
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Barto » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:56 pm

Ian wrote:
Barto wrote:Learned the hard way what a waste of money it all is.

Have to agree Barto, might as well piss it up against a wall

They cost enough to keep running, let alone adding hundreds of dollars worth of fibreglass.
It's all the SANFL's fault.
Barto
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby dedja » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:11 pm

hackham_hawk_3 wrote:And lastly, has anyone got an extreme makeover done to their car at Profix? And how much did it cost? I need to get the car lowered and a new exhaust system installed...

Well if you go to Profix you will get a new exhaust regardless if you need one or not ... the good old exhaust pipe 'crimp' test will see to that.

They forget to mention that a brand new exhaust will also fail the 'test'.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby Ian » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:45 pm

dedja wrote:
hackham_hawk_3 wrote:And lastly, has anyone got an extreme makeover done to their car at Profix? And how much did it cost? I need to get the car lowered and a new exhaust system installed...

Well if you go to Profix you will get a new exhaust regardless if you need one or not ... the good old exhaust pipe 'crimp' test will see to that.

They forget to mention that a brand new exhaust will also fail the 'test'.

People have short memories, Profix (or the previous name it used) was exposed by a current affair, I wouldn't let them work on a pram!
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Postby dedja » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:50 pm

Barto wrote:Although got a few extra roots back in the day... hmm. Decisions.

You mean if I add some bling to the car I'll get more action?

Jeez, why didn't someone tell me before??? #-o
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby Sojourner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:47 pm

I am a member of two different car clubs and an enthusiast from way back, my very best advice that I can give to you or anyone else that is thinking of putting some coin into a vehicle is this. - Make damn sure that the car that you have is the dream car that you have always wanted, otherwise do not bother as it will be a total and utter waste of time.

People that put money into cars that they are happy enough to own, yet are not really what they actually want are likely to do their dough real quick. Far far better to go for what it is that you actually want.

I am not into Modern Fords, yet if your heart is set on a BA onwards, my suggestion would be to patch up what you have got, sell it and get yourself into at least an XR6 Turbo Falcon, plenty of aftermarket bits for these and a far better vehicle to actually make a start from IMO.

Still, if I had the choice between modern Falcon and a restored XB GS I would go the classic every time, one will lose you a stack of money, the other will only increase in value, especially when the Mad Max no 4 Fury Road movie gets released in Cinemas.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby HH3 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:14 pm

Ive always wanted a BA since they came out when i was around the age of 14. Finally got one and crashed it. To buy the bumper and guard and get them painted and fitted, its been quoted around $2000. It'll cost about the same to buy a bodykit and get it painted and fitted. So for an extra $2000 ill change the suspension, get rims and exhaust and itll be a much better looking car.

Ive had a look on the internet and City Discount Tyres do exhausts and lowering as well as rims, so i was thinking of maybe getting it all done there once the bodykits on...anyone know if thats a good idea?
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Ian » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:24 pm

If you want to lower it, go to the wreckers and get yourself a 2nd hand set of XR6 springs.
If you go much lower than that you'll sacrafice ride quality too much. Real low, stiff suspension is great on a nice flat road, hit bumps pushing it through corners and you'll have 1 tyre off the ground, also, too low and you'll smash your body kit on kerbs and spoon drains and attract the attention of the boys in blue.
Another bit of advice, if someone is selling you something and says "it's legal", double check for yourself, could save a lot of heart (and wallett) ache later.
Ian

Postby HH3 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:27 pm

Yeah im gonna keep it all legal, dont wanna have to worry about getting it defected, and ill hopefully be a cop in the near future, so wanna keep my traffic offences to nil :)

The springs ive sussed out are under $500. How much do you think XR6 springs would be?

Ill hopefully start the process later on this week, so im trying to get a set plan on what i should do so it can all be done over 2 or 3 days...
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Iron Fist » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:25 am

Im no pro at modifying cars, but have seen a fair few spent on mates cars.

People are correct in saying it is a waste of time. Eg I have a ef falcon, the rims to by brand new are worth $3000 but I will probs get in between 3-4k for the whole car, that is along with alot of other mods.

If you do hot it up, i would say get good stuff, will cost more but better chance of retaining price when you do sell it.
So get a full exhaust system, not just from the cat back (sound 10x better aswell)
go with good quality springs and you will need new shockers aswell. King springs are great but believe you can get same thing just without the name from aurora springs on pt road.
As for kits, look on the net. there sometimes second hand kits that just need to be sprayed. other thing is maybe talk paying cash to spray painter, will say you some cash. (need to make sure you can trust and he is capable of doing a good job as you will have no proof that he did it.)

believe you can get good rims from a site. think its Wheelking.com or something like that. sell holden and form rims, GT or something like that would look great.

Also you may need to get a camber kit if you get big rims. Otherwise you will eat tyres and 18's are not cheap at all.

Good luck mate
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Psyber » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:38 pm

Iron Fist wrote: Also you may need to get a camber kit if you get big rims. Otherwise you will eat tyres and 18's are not cheap at all.
Definitely - 16" rims seem to get you the least expensive good tyres, and I don't really think bigger rims and lower profile tyres help anything but the pose factor once you are down to 50 profile.
On my other car - an old Musso - I've dumped the 255/70 tyres for 235/75 and it handles better.
My Maserati in the early 1990s was a bit jittery on its standard tyres and handled better too on a slightly higher profile with a bit more flex.
[Everyone in the club was changing them over at the time for that reason.]
Psyber
Coach

Postby Ian » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:42 pm

Iron Fist wrote:Im no pro at modifying cars, but have seen a fair few spent on mates cars.

People are correct in saying it is a waste of time. Eg I have a ef falcon, the rims to by brand new are worth $3000 but I will probs get in between 3-4k for the whole car, that is along with alot of other mods.

If you do hot it up, i would say get good stuff, will cost more but better chance of retaining price when you do sell it.
So get a full exhaust system, not just from the cat back (sound 10x better aswell)
go with good quality springs and you will need new shockers aswell. King springs are great but believe you can get same thing just without the name from aurora springs on pt road.
As for kits, look on the net. there sometimes second hand kits that just need to be sprayed. other thing is maybe talk paying cash to spray painter, will say you some cash. (need to make sure you can trust and he is capable of doing a good job as you will have no proof that he did it.)

believe you can get good rims from a site. think its Wheelking.com or something like that. sell holden and form rims, GT or something like that would look great.

Also you may need to get a camber kit if you get big rims. Otherwise you will eat tyres and 18's are not cheap at all.

Good luck mate

Ian

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Sell the ******* thing and buy a Bicycle. Problem solvered.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1817 times

Postby HH3 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Iron Fist wrote:Im no pro at modifying cars, but have seen a fair few spent on mates cars.

Good luck mate

I have a budget of about $3850. Body kit off ebay is $680 (not painted), paint and fitting is $1100. Need a left guard and get that painted too. Then the rest is for rims, suspension and exhaust. Dont think ill be able to afford top of the range stuff. Like i said, im not gonna hoon in it at all, pretty much just for looks and sounds, but run pretty much the same as it does now. If i get some money in the future i might do something on the performance side of things later on.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:13 am

Most "kitted" cars don't actually look better than the original - just different and more lumpy.
I find it amazing that many people think they can improve on the work of skilled designers by adding bits that stick out and have no effect on function.
[Like aptly named "spoilers" which do nothing of benefit under about 130 kph.]

HH3, I accept that you may be the exception to that rule, who has a good eye, but be careful or it may well be money down the drain.
Psyber
Coach

Next

Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport